Radar Jamming

Jamming would provide a small window of opportunity for the jamming UFO to cover other UFOs because if there is a strong signal creating so much glare that your RADAR becomes useless, this one signal would be super easy to pinpoint.

And if you send your interceptors after the one UFO (and shoot it down) they would be in a position to go after the UFOs it tried to cover as well.

I agree with Gazz.

Rather than stealth UFOs that are just invisible to the player why not go completely the other way.

There is a chance that some UFOs per wave are carrying radar jammers.

These UFOs scramble any radar system that they pass through but to do it they move around randomly.

While their jammer is active no other craft can be detected but the jamming craft is kicking out so much interference that you can easily detect it.

This gives the player a target to kill in order to remove the jamming but in the mean time other alien craft have had the chance to accomplish their missions without being stopped.

Much better than stealth UFOs which by their very nature give the player nothing they can react to.

That was my basic idea, only you guys just improved it. Ok, have the ECM ship giving off a signal so you can track it, shoot it down, and then have a chance to react to what it was trying to mask. But this short period of radar blindness would provide other UFOs a brief window of opportunity to accomplish their missions. Done. Too bad it has a much of a chance as memorial rooms, increased medal perks, hedgerows being fixed, and a hundred other things :P

Jamming would provide a small window of opportunity for the jamming UFO to cover other UFOs because if there is a strong signal creating so much glare that your RADAR becomes useless, this one signal would be super easy to pinpoint.

And if you send your interceptors after the one UFO (and shoot it down) they would be in a position to go after the UFOs it tried to cover as well.

I like this idea. It presents the player with an obstacle and consequences if ignored, while also giving the player the ability to counter the threat. Very nice.

Honestly I would just have them appear...

I second this :)

Maybe a couple of check boxes in the New Game screen where you could just select a "Random Terror" check box so even if you achieve air superiority Terror missions could just randomly occur, ie an alien infiltration unit, that has been working deep cover for years, just happen to mail/deliver a couple of Reapers do some random city.

So a simple trigger in the game like 'if no terror mission after X days, Y% spawn random terror mission'

I agree with Gazz.

Rather than stealth UFOs that are just invisible to the player why not go completely the other way.

There is a chance that some UFOs per wave are carrying radar jammers.

These UFOs scramble any radar system that they pass through but to do it they move around randomly.

While their jammer is active no other craft can be detected but the jamming craft is kicking out so much interference that you can easily detect it.

This gives the player a target to kill in order to remove the jamming but in the mean time other alien craft have had the chance to accomplish their missions without being stopped.

Much better than stealth UFOs which by their very nature give the player nothing they can react to.

and at the same time, increase the risk/reward not knowing what else is in air at the moment... like an 3x interceptor squad waiting for your heavy migs. :D

We could just have all the important UFO immediately beeline their objectives as well instead of messing about. I don't know if it was changed on Experimental but in Stable, they fly around in random patterns for like forever before hitting their objective.

They used to do that. It made it really easy to identify terror/base assault UFOs, prioritize them, and take them out.

To implement this feature properly would take a lot of work and balancing and thought.

If you just make some UFOs go invis after a while I think it would become and feel like some games with a bad AI and where you just go "The DMN AI is cheating AGAIN!"

At least I think that is what my response would be.

I know, but we're at the one month mark now and there are still some major issues to fix with the existing system, IMO (psionics, the LOS stuff, plus the bugs.) Chris isn't going to add anything new at this point.

Plz see my post at the beginning of this thread: "...I'm just kicking this can down the street to see where it goes". Don't hope or expect it to actually be implemented. Just like the memorial room thread, et al, I thought it'd simply be interesting to discuss it :)

My serious opinion is that GH is getting too distracted with constant experimental builds and various bells and whistles. They should focus exclusively and intensively on bugs and the broken psionics. The game is otherwise releasable as is. Fluff and minor balance issues can be addressed by mods and DLCs post-release, especially when they have the cash to do so. I'm not sure if nonstop community input is a help or a hindrance at this point

I think a lot of the changes that we are currently seeing are things that have been in the pipeline for a while.

Certainly some things that have popped up recently have been mentioned by Chris in the past so I assume they were on their internal work tracker before the new public one was added.

It sounds like the psionics fixes are being worked on from the last few posts Chris has made.

Hopefully they will create a better feel to the enemy powers.