Lost Nations:

Tegron

I'm not sure if this was covered before, I did not see it...

But my question is if the "Nation" is lost to the Aliens... Can we lets say locate an Alien HQ storm it and get the "lost nation" back? Or by some other means?

Maybe... Many attacks on key points of the Alien HQ in "Lost Nation."

there was the idea was that you might get some sort of single mission to reclaim a lost nation. I've not seen it recently though.

I heard that idea was gunned down by an unknown assailant with a British accent as it was coming home from shopping. Eventually they had to take it off life support.

Don't worry Jasmine. We'll just go to the pound and get you another nation. There's plenty of nations out there in need of a good home.

Don't worry Jasmine. We'll just go to the pound and get you another nation. There's plenty of nations out there in need of a good home.

I can almost see that at Xenonaught's HQ "Sir, the Nigerians have withdrawn from the Project, something about a Prince running out of money because no one transferred it to a US bank account."

Commander steps in, "That's ok, because one of our scout planes has picked up signs of Atlantis, turns out they weren't really killed, and if we can send them some Chinese takeout, they'll step into the gap..."

Lost nations could refuse Xenonaut bases in their territory. But downing enough Ufos on them, or raiding alien bases there could eventually win them back perhaps. Also aliens could be more likely to be active on such nations, but no terrors maybe??

I like that +a special mission with a base or something you have to assault to get back their confidence, it's not like they are suddenly fighting on the enemies side fighting other nations or shooting down xenonaut planes, they just did not see enough results for their investments in their region.

• 1 month later...
Losing nations is silly. They retire not because the alien overlords have taken over, they retire because they're selfish and don't want to fund saving the WHOLE planet.

A sacrifice for the greater cause - the wisest cliche of common sense ever.

Actually, it's because they've lost faith in the program because of how little they are protected, and decided that their own military might do a better job.

I would love to see a way to bring funding nations back to the correct mindset.

This is 1979-1980. Cold War. The Soviets (with the Red Army) and the US (with the CIA) are both continually "persuading" countries to join their camp.

The favored Soviet method was to have a faction in country X request "fraternal assistance" to come in and "help" solve an internal dispute. This gave a kind of whitewashed legitimacy to the tanks rolling in. Likewise, I think friendly factions (who realize the truly global menace of the alien threat) could request "fraternal assistance" from the Xenonaut organization.

Your strike team would deploy to the regional capitol (say, Brussels for the EU, Beijing for Indochina, etc). The ground combat could be fought on a standard terror map, but instead of facing aliens, you'd be fighting misguided loyalist government troops (using standard soldier models already in the game, or tweaked even better).

To make up for the Xenonauts' technological edge you could place a large number of these troops on the map, and give them the kind of vital stats that special forces would have. You could also vary this according to region; maybe North Africa has poorly-trained troops that spray AR bullets everywhere, while North American forces deploy snipers, rocket launchers, heavy machine guns, smoke and flashbangs. In progressively greater numbers depending upon what month the regional governments took their ill-advised action.

Once/if the Xenonauts defeat the elite presidential bodyguard and take the capitol (and this should be made a real challenge) all remaining resistance would swiftly crumble, and a friendly puppet government (in true Cold War fashion) would be put in place :D

Of course ideas like this are a pipe dream, they would require exhaustive playtesting and balancing, but Xenonauts 2...hey...just sayin'

Edited by dpelectric