New Soldier Recruitment model

Chris

TheTunnilator you do realize that this system is intended to prevent people from easily picking recruits with the best stats and simply fireing the rest. If fired soldiers dissapear from the pool then you need to implement something else that either prevents or penalizes excessive hireings or fireings.

Did you like any of the other options discussed more?

PS. Did Chris reduce the size of his avatar? His last post has a considerably smaller avatar then the one higher up in this thread. DS

When I brought up the whole pay to fire someone, it was only meant as a way to prevent abuse of buying all the soldiers and then sacking them all in a matter of days in the game. I wasn't really keen on it anyway, but I still like the Idea of paying to refresh the pool of soldiers.

Basically I would like to see that if someone fires a soldier, that soldier is gone, as well as when you hire them their opening stats will not be effected by the score or skill of your playing ability, that would penalize the kids who are just starting out on this game.

Gorlom - How would firing soldiers save you any money? You still have to buy them back. Is the money you saved in not paying their wages not lost when you buy them back? I'm Just asking because I've never fired a single soldier, Scientist, or Engineer, I Transfer them from bases to base.

Another Random Thought - Medical Experiments and enhancements that will allow permenant ability change. One Makes you stronger but less accurate, one makes you more accurate and less strong. One increases your AP but decreases your bravery. Stuff like that. Only available as research progresses. Like I said, Random.

When I brought up the whole pay to fire someone, it was only meant as a way to prevent abuse of buying all the soldiers and then sacking them all in a matter of days in the game.

How about a minimum contract length? If you can't fire them for X number of months that would prevent firing them quickly and involve continued pay for them over those months. After a few months if they don't work out you can fire them.

I Never Fired my Guys anyway, I kept them all, I would name some of them some not so nice names, just so I could keep them straight and out of the way. But usually the weak ones became great medics. Medkit in one hand, Pistol in the other, always kneeling.

So, With the Time Limit Approaching - What do we Agree on?

Edited by nutbarz

So, With the Time Limit Approaching - What do we Agree on?

We agree on whatever Chris decides in the end. :P

Fired soldiers going back to the pool and displacing existing recruits would feel a bit weird but if that's what's needed to avoid stat penalties on recruits and prevent "stat fishing" I'll take it. I don't do the hire/fire thing anyway.

I like both Gazz' combination of ideas, and also Chris' ideas, so either of those will be fine with me =]

@ Gazz, one thing I don't understand, if the minimum bar of hirability keeps at your maximum average, how does hiring more troops lower that bar, creating the effect of 'you hire more, you don't get as good soldiers'

I think that the average of the fresh recruits wasn't supposed to be the same as your current average? it was supposed to be brought up by your current average but not "up to".

Bah that makes sense to me but I'm kinda sleepy atm so I suspect it might not make sense to anyone else or me in a few hours.

No no Gazz' idea was that you take the average of your soldiers stats sets the bar, and then some factor of that (say 66%) would be the average stats of the recruits. Therefore the more you hire, the lower your average stat bar is.

however when we talked about the fact that that could lead to a downward spiral, he edited his post to say that they average stat bar of your troops would remain constant, so that if all your troops died you wouldn't have a really low bar, and then they all died, so you need more, so the bar lowers, and so on.

But those two ideas are incompatible, because the second then removes the negatives for just hiring lots and lots of troops. Other than the cost of hiring them etc. So I was just wondering if I missed something somewhere

Sems to me that the math are wrong. It could lead to exploits.

Let say I keep a small number of soldier. I make them super elite by scum saving.

Now, I'm ready to recruit all the rooster and they are way over the average.

A normal player could fall on a slippery slope with average soldiers. Btw I don't see how ths idea improve the experience.

Maybe just hide the soldiers stat when you used all your normal pool for the month?

another thing you can do to keep from having too many super soldiers is to have them spawn according to a % and a timer so say every 5% there was a guy with much higher stats but you wouldnt get another one that month

5% of what?

Personally I dislike the idea because that means Chris has to acctually make soldiers that are better stats wise then the rest. Right now its just soldiers at the upper range of randomly generated stats, and ways of trying to prevent players to "cherry pick" theese soldiers above the rest.

Edited by Gorlom

You have a pool of 12 people, which is cleared and updated every month. If you fire a soldier, he goes back into the pool and displaces a soldier already in the pool.
It would be neat if the visible pool of soldiers was dependent on your relationship with the funding regions.

So if a couple of regions were hostile to you then the pool would drop to say 10 visible soldiers, to reflect that there's a smaller pool of elite soldiers available for you to recruit from (you could even stop soldiers from the various nation's in each hostile region appearing in the list).

It would slightly ramp up the difficulty in the late game, but have no effect early on. Probably a lot of work for a very small feature, but I reckon it would be a nice touch.

a %5 chance of one spawning in the pool so about one in twenty soldiers would be stronger and the code would be one line to the game for that part two lines to it if he adds the monthly timer on it

Mook i love the Harlock avy he makes drinking milk seem bad ass but i guess when the guy doing it also steps outside his ship into the vacuum of space with no suit to steer his ship and let lasers used for taking out battleships make a small cut on his cheek anything looks bad ass

It would be neat if the visible pool of soldiers was dependent on your relationship with the funding regions.

So if a couple of regions were hostile to you then the pool would drop to say 10 visible soldiers, to reflect that there's a smaller pool of elite soldiers available for you to recruit from (you could even stop soldiers from the various nation's in each hostile region appearing in the list).

It would slightly ramp up the difficulty in the late game, but have no effect early on. Probably a lot of work for a very small feature, but I reckon it would be a nice touch.

I think you have missunderstood the pool. if you hire soldirs new soldiers will pop up in the pool to replenish it. If you reduce the pool to 10 you haven't really reduced the ammount of people you can hire just reduced how many people you can see at one time. It wouldn't make any difference except that it would be annoying.

Stopping recruitment from less then satisfied funding regions is a nice touch though. I hope Chris already thought of the idea and is planning to implement it or atleast make it easy to modd :)

Mook i love the Harlock avy he makes drinking milk seem bad ass but i guess when the guy doing it also steps outside his ship into the vacuum of space with no suit to steer his ship and let lasers used for taking out battleships make a small cut on his cheek anything looks bad ass

Wha...?

That is some serious derailment right there, and I guess I walked straight into it =p

If you hire soldiers new soldiers will pop up in the pool to replenish it.
Ah, I see, I was thinking the pool was only refreshed periodically rather than instantly - but I guess that would have caused the problems people raised with hiring large numbers of soldiers at once.

As you suggest, perhaps recruitment from dissatisfied regions could still be blocked as a mostly cosmetic feature.

Moork i love the Harlock avy he makes drinking milk seem bad ass but i guess when the guy doing it also steps outside his ship into the vacuum of space with no suit to steer his ship and let lasers used for taking out battleships make a small cut on his cheek anything looks bad ass
Thanks, and yeah, when your as cool as Harlock mere physics are of no consequence :D