Combat GUI Update (feedback please)

Chris

@ anotherdevil I put those buttons there because it has to do with movement and the soldier himself. To the right is the more static stuff, that has nothing to do with controlling your soldier. But I think you're right. The floor buttons have to do with camera control, so that should be on the right side of the portrait.

If the crouch toggle will fill the spot where the second grenade was, like Chris says, the Inventory button can take the place of the crouch button from my example. Then you could make the Floor toggle button a long sort of button like the grenade now is and put that to the right of the portrait. This way there will be no empty spots for more buttons.

ok but I think (ala the original) that everything to do with the soldier in combat, at that time, should be centred. That is the number of AP etc. bars, portrait, and their weapons, all in the bottom centre of the screen, so that if you want info on your soldier there is one place to look (not all over the bottom). Then if you want something else, you look to the sides.

That's all I was saying

I like the overall look of the Funkypoop mock up but there are a few things I would do differently, excluding any changes Chris mentioned:

I would like to see the redundant soldier stat boxes removed and the space used for AP reserve.

AP, HP and bravery are all shown twice while strength, accuracy and reflexes are not really essential information (most of the time).

AP reserve would then be located in the same place as the AP is displayed.

I also still feel that the icons used in the AP reserve are misleading.

What is the maximum number of troops in a ground mission?

I seem to recall it was 16 rather than 12 but I may well be wrong.

If so where will the rest of the shortcuts be displayed?

That would not be a problem if the AP reserve was moved as per the previous suggestion.

I am unsure where the vehicles will be listed on the recent UI.

I had assumed with mine that they would appear as just another portrait when present but that may be harder to do when you cannot see a representation on the button.

Maybe making the button background a different colour would be enough?

And a couple for Chris:

How would moving between floors work on a grav lift, assuming there are any in the game?

How will the jump function on armour be activated?

Would we need to make space for more controls or will this be activated on the screen some other way?

Just a quick modification to Funkypoop's hard work to show my thinking.

I tried to add something along the lines of the bits Chris said he wanted to change as well.

funkypoop mod2.jpg

Added colour change to the numbers, red for dead, blue for stunned.

Moved AP reserve and expanded soldier buttons to fill the space.

Added a ladder effect level selector with arrows.

Moved crouch toggle and inventory buttons.

I didn't add anything to represent vehicles as I am still unsure how best to do that.

funkypoop mod2.jpg

577e7c7ff3361_funkypoopmod2.thumb.jpg.19

Edited by Gauddlike

Glad you liked my icon idea Chris. My logic with the numbers on the right was that I am less concerned with a squad member who has 75% or 80% and more concerned with showing the left side of the bars which would be in the 20% range. That is assuming the left side left was less. Maybe a semi transparent number rather the the full solid number I showed in the mock up?

Regarding AP reservation: How about some small toggle or button used for reserving AP for kneeling? I think TFTD or UFO had something similar. Then the slider takes care of the shot type and the button can deal with kneel reservation. Sorry if that's what someone else had proposed and I missed it.

Yes, I think the Number and the Stat Bars would be Great, tho things I Miss, or can't seem to locate are a way to end a soldiers turn in that round, so as I move #1 and finish what I want him to do, Xcom had a button to click that took him out of the order, then you would end his turn and move to the next, and if you cycles through, that soldier would not come up again as he was already done this round. The other thing is can you have it remmeber what soldier is doing each round? So when he Goes to the next round he will still save time for snap fire? I usually keep them all on snap fire all the time. I would like it to remember that from round to round.

I like the new Look Maybe replace the camera with ELE (for elevation)

:D That would be great, Quickly Toss a Grenade, or Quickly reload a weapon. Oh, would it be ok to add a reload button, for things like reloading the bazooka? Just clicking it would use the appropriate action points for reloading, and you would not need to use the equip screen to move it from the backpack to the weapon. (I still use the equip screen to stand on dead aliens to see what they are though)

Can you motivate it even with the numbered quickselect(+bars) at the top of the UI?

I'm not against it It' just that one might think it's not needed since you can quickly select a soldier from there based on how much AP he has left. And motivating why you want it despite this might help your case. ^^