Aliens shooting from FOW

Its not as bad as 50% at all. Caesans have 17 sight range versus "naked" human with 16, and jackal human have 14. Those 1-3 tiles DO matter but its not as bad.

What you could be experiencing more is team shared sight, were your spotted soldiers can be targeted by aliens way farther tan those 1-3 tiles. But then you can do the same so its pretty neat in the end.

Really just in general using sight range to make enemies tougher was one of the few shortcomings of the original X-Com. Losing people to tactical mistakes is sad, but acceptable. Losing people to enemies that you never could have even seen isn't a functional mechanic.

Yes, in theory, smoke grenades could be used to conceal your approach, but to use smoke grenades in reality you must have a general idea of where the enemy threat is going to be arriving from. In this game there isn't any general logic to the location of the enemies, and even if there was, since you can't actually see the terrain outside of the FOW, you can't know when to use them and when not to.

Basically there is no effective counter. You will suffer casualties, even in spite of covering all of your sectors, to enemies you couldn't possibly detect.

1. *SLAP. This is not reality it is a game :)

2. Does the Hunter scout car thing not have the longest sight in game?

3. You design your tactics around this.

3a. They cant see through houses I remember the most common map for the farms having a great big house next to you.

4. I remember in the middle east maps there was a good screen of ai soldiers to distract the aliens.

5. ^In the actic maps to

6. You get plenty of time to deploy I have never had an alien remotely near my dropship...

In xcom ufo defense long range battles are simply not a thing. Maps only come close to long range on farm maps with fields spawning next to each other.

I would be more specific but Im holding out for the steam version. :/ And garrent what was that in response to? Was all that dribble about this game? (I am asuming it was. sorry if I assumed to much)

Sebillians are only meant to have a sight range of 15. There's something off about sight range.

Sathra, sorry to ask this if previously answered in another post, but I often have difficulty finding relevant previous posts.

Can you say whether the diagonal sight range is also 15, or is it adjusted for 1:1.4 ratio side to diagonal length of a square?

If it is adjusted, it is not working :)

Today again, i got shot at 19 tiles by a Caesan (Guard type, ouside a Scout) repeatedly : he was not moving, i had him cornered and played a bit with him to see what was happening.

My 1st assumption was that a AI creature could shoot at any target (with a firing path) if he sees at least one target. He chooses the one with the highest chances to hit, i'd guess. Which of course should not be (no squad sight for him since he was the last one).

But if there is some diagonal adjustments, well, another possibility (my Caesan 19 tiles was almost straight line, +3 tiles side deviation)

How do you guys know which type was the alien ? At the moment I seem to get some kind of empty placeholder in place of the alien (i.e. the alien is totally transparent)

Maybe my copy is bugged because they shoot me from incredible distances, even my Hunter car is outranged and get destroyed before to get in range.

Edited by BlueTrin

Odd, I thought the invisible alien stuff was fixed.

As for the sight range stuff, I'm not sure. I know that troops in Basic armour (the starting clothing) should be able to outsee Sebillians though.

Negative Houston....

There is a problem with alien sight ranges somewhere. My guess is the AI and sight ranges aren't sync'ed correctly. The fact that the AI targets my soldiers INSIDE a building from the outside tells me something is amiss. They are definitely firing at my troops from three to four tiles past Wolf spotting range. Even the Sebillians seem to have damn good eyes.

Edited by StellarRat

There is a bug. I suspect (and this is just a layman's suspicion, NOT an informed statement of truth) that somewhere in the new AI code it has hardcoded sight ranges of 20 (or thereabouts), which is considerably longer than it is intended to be. The new AI code might also skip a few steps on testing whether or not the lines of sight can actually be drawn, hence the "firing from inside buildings" bug.

Yeah getting nailed from the FOW when you have people in cover looking in the location it's being fired from and not being able to do anything is annoying as hell. I actually don't like the FOW at all, as it's completely unrealistic, but I know it adds more tension to the game, and it was in X-COM. I wouldn't mind so much if everyone had the same sight range tho...

Well maybe the soldiers should bring some bloody binoculars along! :P

Currently the FOW aspect is the main detractor to the game for me, but it's mostly it combined with squad sight that really bugs me. I was getting destroyed by some alien a good ways off in the FOW because his buddy was currently fighting my troops under good cover and i was having a hard time taking him out(grenades definitely need a boost). He was hitting really accurately too! I lost 3 good troops to that bugger before I finally got him. :( Granted I'm not an elite player, so I may have been able to do things a lot better to improve my odds.

I've managed to adapt to this frustration with excessive bunny hopping and methodical positioning of troops for covering fire. Stick to perimeter of the map and wind your way towards the center. :cool:

Does kind of suck when you land on a terror mission at night and are surrounded from turn 1 though :(