Mutual Surprise and You!

I was wondering if the Mutual Surprise rule will be applied in Xenonauts, that being the rule in UFO:EU and TFTD that two units spotting each other at the same time do not get reaction fire. I'm pretty sure that I've opened doors only to be fired on, but if I haven't tell me and I'll shut up.

As a related issue, will reaction fire for turning and kneeling be removed? As I recall neither of these things risked reaction in the previous mentioned games. For sure turning did not provoke reaction fire. kind of annoying when I have to turn to see an enemy in FoW and he just shoots me in the face.

Well, not really, since you could open a door, walk around a corner, etc. It doesn't have to be on a level playing field, there can be obstructions. Since that's the case, I would like to get reaction fire and surprise and all that really well done, so I can count on not getting blasted when I peek around a corner for the first time.

Actually it WAS in UFO or TFTD, it was just really rare. Most often seen when you shoot and fail to kill the enemy but it did happen with just movement.

Are you moving into melee range when they spin around? I haven't seen the AI do it myself (I don't use stun rods yet)

Either way, I think we can assume that our troops know how to walk quietly enough that they're not going to alert someone if they walk within 20 meters of them. I mean, there's gunfire and burning stuff, and probably civilian screams going on too, it's not like it's just you walking on gravel making noise.

I also noticed that only one reaction per "event" seem to trigger, regardless of number of combatants.

I have had 5 guys surround the entrance to a UFO and an alien runs out. I have never had more than *one* of my guys reaction fire at the same time. I would expect that he was turned to a pulp when everyone opened fire at the same time :)

So that the aliens can wreck your shit whenever you move? No thanks.

If there are five aliens all positioned so they can shoot my guy... why not?

The problem now is more that they try to shoot you (and succeed!) from ridiculous distances. I believe that is a separate problem.

I don't know if reaction fire is sensitive to distance either, but that could also be a thing to consider (increased distance = less chance to reaction fire).

If everybody did reaction-fire as soon as possible, there'd be no "chance" involved. You'd move into reactions range, no mutual surprise, and get ganked 9/10, especially since aliens can see farther than your soldiers.
Seems like the highest reaction time first then on down the line. Technically, it should possible for two combatants to shoot each other in turn. I guess you'd have to have a tie break roll in the event of a tie in reaction time.