What will happen to all currently out of base aircraft when a base is destroyed?

I did ask this in the bug thread but also putting it here.

So if i have my troop transport out of the base when the base is attacked and i lose that base, what will happen to my troop transport? I mean I might have another base but it might not have space for my aircraft or my personal or even my equipment.

How will the game deal with this?

Persoanlly I would be happy if the game just deleted my aircraft when my base is desotryed, but i don't think other people would be happy with that.

Edited by Gauddlike
Fixed title

Persoanlly I would be happy if the game just deleted my aircraft when my base is destroyed, but i don't think other people would be happy with that.(

Logically, any orphaned aircraft within range of another base that has unused hangers should just automatically land there. I would imagine the remainder would be destroyed by the Xeno pilots to keep the organization secret.

With the short ranges of aircraft that wouldn't be a common thing to happen I would guess unless you are leaving your bases very close together.

I don't think it would be worth the effort to rework the hangar system to make this work.

Chris has said that hangars can't hot swap (to allow sending craft to bases other than the one they are purchased and assigned to) and this seems like a similar thing.

Auto-sold? Are the aliens going to let you auto-sell all the contents of your base before they blow it up? I think they count as collateral damage,

The tenuous logic could be something to do with the maintenance equipment that goes with it. It's not much use having an advanced fighter if you can't refuel, re-arm or repair it.

Losing the base would be bad enough but instantly losing a whole wing of top tier fighters that were flying 100 miles away at the time along with a top tier transport and the whole squad on board who were 100 miles in the other direction on route to a terror site would be a little depressing.

I think even I would reload at that point if I wasn't playing iron man just because of the unfairness of them vanishing on me :P

Not that I have some elegant solution in mind that would solve this issue for everyone, and in an easy to implement way to.

well, under those circumstances of losing a base, the game could check if any craft are airborne from that base. If so, a swarm of UFOs appears and wipes them out. At least you would have closure :)

A not uncommon one used to be having your chinook taken out by a sneaky fighter. So that could be the case for a dropship caught outside a destroyed base.

Ideally,every soldier would have a survival chance and get transferred to another base though? But what if it doesn't have living quarters? Gaaah!

Surely the pilots would land the aircraft at the nearest airport and considering they are defending the earth. I am sure they would have top level identification to obtain aviation fuel to enable them to get back to the nearest safe base. No sane pilots would fly a plane till it ran completely out of fuel and then crash it.

Last time I looked the earth had one or two airfields and airports. I could be wrong so I shall have to double check my facts on that though ;)

Maybe our new alienum-powered secret interceptors can only land on specially designed and outfited landing pad, so no landing in civil airport.

Still don't understand why cannot land and refuel standart Condor - we did not build it, we bought in on market! And petrol was not so rare commodity in 1960x.

And of course Chinook can land anywere except sea.

Let's assume that its old good secrecy reasons.

We self-destruct our copter after landing so nobody can crack our radio scrambling and friend-or-foe beacon.

By the way, it was normal practice in 1960x. At least all Soviet aircrafts capable to fly out-of-borders were equiped with small explosive device to destroy radio-hardware in case of imminent capture.

So - Chinook land near any residential area, and aliens have a possibility to start a misson to kill or capture our crew (as we have such possibility when they make emergency landing). Of course, if they are in range.

If UFOs were not in range, or were intercepted by other base planes, or aliens lost a battle - game asks to which base survived soldiers should travel (from list of bases having enough living space).

And then our boys&girls will go by normal civil means.

By trains, by cars - bought or stolen, by buses, by airlines, by ferrys and so on. Hitch-hiking was already invented in 1960x :)

And humans (our soldier ARE humans, you remember?) can easily merge into human society, much easier than caesans.

Of course road will take long days - but not weeks! It's 20th century, not 19th.

And - security means - all equipment is destroyed too. After battle, of course.

That is actually a pretty good idea. You know how there are cities labeled on the map? Perhaps if your Chinook gets to one of those, it can land and your troops get transported back to a base, provided there's room. If not, then perhaps you can choose to build more LQ and then summon them after it's built. That way you don't lose your precious high-leveled soldiers.

Never thought i'd be a "hard core x-com fan" but i think we should stick to the original game's rules for these cases - all jets in a base destoryed in a base attack are destroyed with it. X-Com was an unforgiving game in that sense and so should this one. Losing a base was THE greatest disaster that could happen to you in game second to losing it.

The jets are lost, obviously. I just would hate to lose my soldiers. I'm totally fine to have them be lost if I lose their home base, but if we did want to have a way to keep them, they could do it like I said previously. A little alien battle on the ground, with the smoldering wreckage of the Chinook, would be pretty awesome, though.

The actual issue is that the bases are basically the parent item for everything in them, and once they are destroyed having stuff auto-move to another base is harder than it sounds. It's stuff like a plane not being able to change parent base when airborne and stuff.

Given it's only a relatively minor (and rare) issue, I'm just not willing to invest the time required to come up with a realistic gameplay fix for it.

Sensible fix for me would be to remove the craft and any equipment, along with any crew and so on, to an external site.

That would only be for craft that were out flying a mission at the time.

If they were in a base at the time of the attack and the base was lost then it could be safely assumed they didn't make it out in time either.

Once they complete their mission they are redirected to the nearest city and vanish once landed.

It represents the newly homeless craft seeking refuge somewhere else.

The game may be able to handle it as a forced transfer once you lose control of them.

They would be stored there indefinitely, and incur an upkeep charge equal to the buildings that would normally be used to house them in a base.

They would be unavailable to use but the external site would show up in the transfer screen (source only, not destination) and maybe stores (in case you just want to sell them) so you could ship them off to any of your bases once you had made space.

That might be less of a problem than hot swapping craft between hangars because they are not expected to remain usable while there.

You are effectively deleting the craft when it lands and purchasing a new one when you re-acquire it.

This could be done from the same menu that allowed a new f-17 or chinook to be acquired.

As Chris says though it may not be a common occurrence, only play testing through the beta will tell how often it does actually happen and if it is worth investing any time in.

Edited by Gauddlike

a_beorning pretty much nailed the circumstances. Be it more peaceful times, you can expect some kind of underlying network for communications and transporting, supported by all members of the xenonauts' pact. The one which helps moving crashed ufos whole and their parts, covering collateral damage, evacuating troops and refueling crafts.

But the cold war era.. You could safely say that crafts and people will just dissapear in the labs and prisons of corresponding country, due to the vague agreements, nervousness and politicians greed.

Though crafts can be rebuilded, losing people is far worse. So, if there is a way to return at least some of them to the other bases, it would be great.

The actual issue is that the bases are basically the parent item for everything in them, and once they are destroyed having stuff auto-move to another base is harder than it sounds.

Suggestion.

Instead of deleting the base, what about disabling it?

Gray everything out except transfer. Delete all objects except those explicitly allowed to be transferred. That would be soldiers on missions, aircraft, possibly personnel.

Display a tutorial message about how the player has X days to move their surviving objects to any other base. After X days, delete the base.

Given it's only a relatively minor (and rare) issue, I'm just not willing to invest the time required to come up with a realistic gameplay fix for it.

It may not happen a lot, but it will happen.

The painful occurrence is when you have your good crew sent out on a mission and the base is attacked while they are there. Lacking reasonable defenders, the base will be destroyed. Losing crew that wasn't even on the base.

I can guarantee that players will be cursing when it happens, and they won't be cursing themselves or the aliens or even their luck.

I repeat, the actual issue is that it's rather difficult to do in the code. It's not a good use of development time.

I'm not willing to implement a load of weird abstractions for such a rare event either. I'd rather the coder in question was working on the new UI instead.

Best solution :)

as long as the game doesn't crash and the items are deleted im happy.

sure its not perfect, but the original xcom did it the same way and i never seen anyone complain about it.

it easy to make this up in the lore of the game, then write code that will take a few weeks to write, that in about 99.9% of games won't do anything.