Sign in to follow this  
Ichthyic

selection sound

I almost forgot...

I have scanned youtube of people playing this beta and the comments, and the singular, most often repeated comment is:

"Please replace the sound effect used for selection.  That high pitched clicking noise is extremely irritating."

so... yeah, there's that.

On 3/7/2020 at 2:36 AM, Ichthyic said:

I almost forgot...

I have scanned youtube of people playing this beta and the comments, and the singular, most often repeated comment is:

"Please replace the sound effect used for selection.  That high pitched clicking noise is extremely irritating."

so... yeah, there's that.

Is this the specific "click" noise that happens when you click the mouse over an interactive element?

Most definitely, if a sound could assault your ears, it would definitly be the selection and click sounds.

On 3/14/2020 at 4:08 AM, Comrade said:

Most definitely, if a sound could assault your ears, it would definitly be the selection and click sounds.

Selection AND click sound? To be clear, are you referring to one sound here or two different ones?

I'm completely used to that sound now and it doesn't bother me, but I'm happy to look into getting it changed if it bothers a lot of people.

It's both, both sounds are very high pitched and it grates our ears. It reminds me of selecting something on a phone with the weird sound and vibration. Either way it's only a minor complaint and like you said you get used to it after a while.

Change it if you want, but of course its a very very minor change.

I’d agree with Comrade and also say that the whole sound design could do with a touch more lovin’. I like the atmosphere created by fairly minimal music, so it’s not the score. It’s all the sound FX. They’re all pretty tinny and too high pitched... could do with an overhaul of the sound FX to some with a bit more bass and weight to them. Current sounds somehow remind me of computer games on the 386 PC when I was a kid - nostalgic but firmly belonging in the realm of nostalgia I think! Good stuff generally though, looking forward to seeing it released :)

In a happy coincidence someone who was helping us with our sound design recently reappeared after taking some time out, so I'll definitely put those sounds on the list of things for us to look at!

Good sound design will tap into that emotional side of the brain, to create that sense of foreboding, and keep you on the edge.  

Posted (edited)

Get we speech to in the Game? If we discuss about sound that is a part of it too.

In Hoi 4 they implemented speeches from historicaly Events (Chamberlain with the Sudetencrises, Roosevelt after the Pearl-Harbor Attack and such). More will come.

For Xenonauts 2 were it from the first Step:

a) Fighter Pilots in the Fights (Rocketfire = Fox 1, Fox 2; for the Guns = going to close Combat or such) 

b) Transportpilots (saying what he sees on the landing zone)

c) Main Chars (Technican, Reseracher, the Girl from the beginning etc.)

d) some Background speeches or noises (Technicans, Reserachers)

or such things. X2 has nothing from that, what other Games of this Gerne (XCOM2 / XCOM: Chimera Squad as Standard) and medium to low financed Games (Phoenix Point [full Game], UFO Extraterestials 1 and 2 [Startvidsequence, in the Groundfights]) bringing in.

Edited by Alienkiller

I've asked about a similar idea for separate sound FX of missile launches for different factions so modders can intergrate different chatters (Fox 2 for human missiles or Missle Warning for UFO missiles .etc) for different occations, adding the chatter sound into the original launch sounds. Unfortunately the current sound system still cannot support such idea. It's just an authentic issue and I won't be disappointed if we can't play with such things in X2, but it would be cool if we're able to do so.

There can also be some authentic sounds for notifications, I was planning to find the war room backgound sounds from Wargame series and also the high-pitch telephone sound that was used in multiplayer while you're sending destinations to other players, unfortunately they are nowhere to be found.

A XCOM style soldier chatters in their own languages is understandably impossible to do, but it would be nice if there are background radio transmissions for ground missions as well, maybe even intergrate some alien-style static chatters like what they did in Enemy Within.