mod me a 2x2 / 3x3 unit

If devs add the option, why not.. pathfinding and attack code should be there. The game should able to calculate more then one tile units, able to target it as one.. it can attack to other things too.. AND we need to able to add totally new enemies with the models and animations, which is the hardest part for a modder..

3 hours ago, drages said:

If devs add the option, why not.. pathfinding and attack code should be there. The game should able to calculate more then one tile units, able to target it as one.. it can attack to other things too.. AND we need to able to add totally new enemies with the models and animations, which is the hardest part for a modder..

Lot of assumptions there!
Adding in multi-tile pathfinding will definitely require a bit of extra code. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it'll definitely require some work.
This is mostly because Chris wants to avoid the various issues that multi-tile units introduce.

3 hours ago, Gijs-Jan said:

Lot of assumptions there!
Adding in multi-tile pathfinding will definitely require a bit of extra code. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it'll definitely require some work.
This is mostly because Chris wants to avoid the various issues that multi-tile units introduce.

I can see the possible problems.. multi tile units needs to have a proper code for their own.. Even i would like to have it, i would like to have it with the units, not only a mod option.. adding a totally working, game ready model and code would require very skilled modder to create and put it into the game and for that reason, it's a big risk to take to put it into the game as a code from devs. A proper way would be a DLC/Expansion named "Big Bad Bosses" as the main game would have their own big enemies/units..

There is possible solutions for this:

2x2: A tile is already 1.5 meter so adding any 2 legged big unit/robot/creature could still fit there even it's a bit bigger then 1 tile as visual. At Xe-1, there was 3x3 support but many maps lacked for big enemy spawn points so most of the 3x3 enemies stuck into the walls.. we used 1x1.. it clipped with objects/walls time to time but it's better then bugged..

3x3: It's very hard to fit anywhere.. again at Xe-1, those 3x3 units could not go anywhere because of map objects.. At X-Division, we made "every" object collapsible when a heavy unit passes. It worked.. but it's still huge for a tactical soldier battlefield.. and it's a bit lame size too.. i mean whatever you put at a 3x3 looks little or big.. if you put a tank, it would look still little as a drone.. but it's big to be a drone.. you can fit a huge dino to 3x3.. for short, it's not right..

I can ask for devs here, make every map object  collapsible when a heavy unit passes.. it could be androns or heavy armors here.. let them destroy everything in their path.. at Xe-1, even little objects could be a huge problem.. some objects like cars does not collapse even you shoot it to the death.. the ruins always stay.. this create problems..

well i disagree that the 3x3 vehicles couldn't go anywhere... there was plenty of space they could go and where they couldn't go well... that's the disadvantage of big vehicles right?

also what do you mean 3x3 is an akward size? i mean it worked for xenonaut 1 tanks/support-vehicles right?

anyways yes, the devs have no interest adding multi tile-units as that is not worth the hassle. so thats why i am asking the incredible talented modders if they could do this immense task for people like me who find big vehicles super duper fun.

i also REALLY liked it when i could block of reapers with vehicles because you know.... reapers are really really mean

my first encounter with a reaper was one around a corner with no response TU's left. you know the rest of that story already don't you?

Edited by jevry

I strongly suspect this will require a bit of support from the Community Edition team if it is to happen, because the pathfinding may not support it by default and there's also some game logic issues that have to be worked through - e.g. where does the vehicle spawn if it is too big to spawn in the dropship, where is it stored in the base, etc?

I'm sure modders can come up with answers to those questions easily enough, but someone needs to tweak the code to support the new functionality and that's where a Community Edition coder will be needed.

• Like 1