Will the taser be something that ends up in the game?

I was thinking about options for non-lethal take-downs and considering the stun baton can only reach one space would it not be logical that the xenonauts would research something akin to the taser for taking specimens alive?

The taser isn't exactly a 70's weapon though is it? Besides, it might not even work on the aliens.

Fwiw, there's going to be smoke grenades (which cause small amounts of stun damage if in the smoke for a long time) and actual stun grenades added to the game soon, which should help no end.

taser classified as a firearm in 1976.

This actually makes it a contender for initial research. 'Boffins work to enhance the capabilities of the Taser, speculating that an enhanced current and increased penetrative abilities will be more effective against the alien horde.'

Mind you, where's the fun in that when you normally would have to get really, really close to an alien to try and stun it. Then it wouldn't fall over and you were done for if you didn't travel in groups.

tazers are close range weapons, you would still have to get within a few tiles.

lasers not being a 70's thing? star wars anyone? star trek? in real life, an experiment in '77 gave promise that it was possible to make a laser capable of being used as a weapon. testing on such discovered principals then occurred from '78 to '88:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Excalibur

I was thinking about options for non-lethal take-downs and considering the stun baton can only reach one space would it not be logical that the xenonauts would research something akin to the taser for taking specimens alive?

Perhaps but it's a gameplay thing. A ranged stun gun would make the baton completely obsolete and capturing live aliens is supposed to be very risky which is why we're given a melee weapon to do it. The Baton is also a nostalgic reference to X-Com.

There are stun grenades and stun gas rockets, but the stun baton should be the preferred method of subduing aliens really. I used to love that part of the game because it was so dangerous..

Well in that case I rest my case. As long as getting up close is not the only method I am quite happy.

Lasers were all the rage back then. Well, that's what my grandfather tells me :-)

It was still topical for weapons research well into the 80s too, making it a very good choice for starting research both in EU and Xnauts.

If I had a choice, and I don't, I'd go with having :-

Stun Baton - can be used a couple of times a round and will take down the easier aliens. Could take a couple of guys for the tough aliens.

Taser- Less effective than the baton, but can be operated from a distance. Will take a couple guys to take down an easy alien.

Stun Grenade - Preferably from a derivative of the cool stun launcher from EU. About as effective as the taser, perhaps slightly less, but can cover a distance and work over multiple rounds.

Similar electromagnetic disruption devices could be used in place of the above for the mechanical enemies.

food for thought...

Police_issue_X26_TASER-white.jpg

Police_issue_X26_TASER-white.jpg

Police_issue_X26_TASER-white.thumb.jpg.e

yeah, they are susprisingly sci-fi and cool aren't they?

I was always so desperate to get a Sectoid leader, or any leader, I pretty much always ended up using the stunrod. The danger! the terror! the idiocy of not taking backup!

the absolute best thing about tasers if wiki is to be believed is that it stands for Thomas A Swift's Electric Rifle!

It should be in the game for that alone, as far as I'm concerned.

1) It's cool and sci fi looking

2) Still keeps a balance in the game. It's not replacing stun batons.

3) it has cool sci fi roots

4) it very much fits in with the research being carried out as the game launches in 1977. It's a good starting research topic.

chances of seeing it? Next to none :-(

Now, about Tesla rifles... you know the US government impounded his papers after his death in 1943...

Whats those handheld electroshock thingamajig women had for selfdefense for a while? The things that didnt shoot anything but you had to push it against someone and then hit the button. (not sure but they might be illegal now)

I thought those things were called tasers and the gun was a "taser gun"... obviously im wrong but what were those things called?

I thought that they were tasers too. There's two different ways to use them. One will shoot out little barb thingies to enduce the shock. But there's also drive stun which is achieved just by holding the device against a person. That sounds much like the devices you're referring to. I may be wrong though.

I was thinking about the taser that fires a wire but any of those futuristic or close combat tasers would be equally valid.

But in keeping with Chris' vision, could replace the stun baton with an adjacent tile re-searchable taser that has a higher chance to stun fleshy targets, while the blunt force baton could still be useful against armoured targets.