[X1.09 + X:CE 0.26HF] XENOPHOBIA- Ultimate Compilation Mod

Been playing for a while and I gotta say I like how ammo was free in the vanilla game. Guns are ok to manufacture, but ammo adds double the micromanagement, so I wanted to ask what do I need to do to make an ammo item be free and infinitely available?

First of all, the manufacturing time for ammo is almost entirely negligible. In a period of like 2days you can pump out 99 of any ammo just about and covers all your needs...

Anyway, here is how to go about changing this to cheat:

1. Open Items.xml and set any thing you want to change *ahem* cheat *ahem* from "Normal" to "Unlimited". I would recommend only changing the starting weapons to "Unlimited" and set all the others to "UnlimitedOnResearch", so you have to research them first.

I'm having issues with the placement of icons on the screen. Is the mod supposed to be run at a certain resolution? For instance, if I wanted to buy a new condor, the icon is way up at the top partially hidden by the bar extending between the screen icons and the funding balance. Also, some items I'll research but can't produce or buy and other items I can produce but can't equip or sell (esp. missiles).

I feel like I must have installed incorrectly but I'm fairly sure I'm doing it right - I install XNT and the hotfix, then paste Xenophobia over the top of the assets directory?

I'm having issues with the placement of icons on the screen. Is the mod supposed to be run at a certain resolution? For instance, if I wanted to buy a new condor, the icon is way up at the top partially hidden by the bar extending between the screen icons and the funding balance. Also, some items I'll research but can't produce or buy and other items I can produce but can't equip or sell (esp. missiles).

I feel like I must have installed incorrectly but I'm fairly sure I'm doing it right - I install XNT and the hotfix, then paste Xenophobia over the top of the assets directory?

Yeah I dont know whats up with that odd equip screen issue. I just noticed that recently too. I'll need to dig into the files and see whats going on there.

Is the plane you are trying to equip have the right hardpoints? Trying to put missiles into a cannon slot perhaps?

Yeah I dont know whats up with that odd equip screen issue. I just noticed that recently too. I'll need to dig into the files and see whats going on there.

Is the plane you are trying to equip have the right hardpoints? Trying to put missiles into a cannon slot perhaps?

I wasn't entirely certain if I could equip them, since I was only testing with the condor, but I was producing the uh.. Shafir missiles I think they're called. I couldn't sell them either. Or the X-13's. I couldn't produce the R73's that go on the Mig 29, but I could produce the Mig 29 and it would come stocked with R73's. I love the mod, as it brings the game back to the more strategic (read : micro management ;p) style that I enjoyed about the originals, so please, don't feel I'm being negative :)

I wasn't entirely certain if I could equip them, since I was only testing with the condor, but I was producing the uh.. Shafir missiles I think they're called. I couldn't sell them either. Or the X-13's. I couldn't produce the R73's that go on the Mig 29, but I could produce the Mig 29 and it would come stocked with R73's. I love the mod, as it brings the game back to the more strategic (read : micro management ;p) style that I enjoyed about the originals, so please, don't feel I'm being negative :)

Well the stock missiles on the planes aren't always available to manufacture...even though they are on the plane. I think you need to research advanced USSR rockets.

I looked at the aircraft equips view file and its the original script from v1.09... really weird about the UI. Ill have to try a different/older script, maybe its a new but to v1.09....bleh

EDIT: Aircraft equip screens are fixed, v1.3.1. The issue was that all the new aircrafts were set as "buyable" when infact they are not. This caused the UI to try and scale to fit all the new entries. Anyway, its fixed now.

Edited by Slayerjerman

Well the stock missiles on the planes aren't always available to manufacture...even though they are on the plane. I think you need to research advanced USSR rockets.

Yep. The issue I'm having is (for instance), I research Co-operation with USA (unlocks the three planes), then research advanced USA rockets - but the screen saying 'You can know manufacture missile XX, XX and XX' doesn't show up, and they don't appear in my manufacture list. Specifically, the Aim 9 series wouldn't show up when I did USA and I'm pretty sure the Russian versions didn't show up when I did advanced Russian missiles either.

Thanks for the quick responses :)

Yep. The issue I'm having is (for instance), I research Co-operation with USA (unlocks the three planes), then research advanced USA rockets - but the screen saying 'You can know manufacture missile XX, XX and XX' doesn't show up, and they don't appear in my manufacture list. Specifically, the Aim 9 series wouldn't show up when I did USA and I'm pretty sure the Russian versions didn't show up when I did advanced Russian missiles either.

Thanks for the quick responses :)

For the missiles, I looked and found the issue. I'll issue an update shortly.

Also, for the multi-ammo types, they unlock later on. INC unlocks with Alenium explosives research, Stun unlocks with Stun weapons and ZAP unlocks with the shock baton.

Changes

• Added a new research entry to unlock "Light Interceptors" for the beginner current-timeline aircrafts.
  • Added a new research entry for "Standard aircraft cannons" so you can unlock and manufacture them correctly.
  • Added a new research entry for "Standard aircraft air-to-air missiles" so you can unlock and manufacture them correctly.
  • Fixed some names and strings/texts for aircrafts to make them easier to identify and read.

Because of the changes to researches.xml, it is advised that you should start a new game otherwise these items will not unlock for manufacture properly, you can continue on playing saves from 1.3.0 if you want. Sorry :(, had to be done to fix some of these bugs.

Thanks for explaining how to make the ammo unlimited. Its true that its cheap and fast, but it also takes a lot of attention and doubles the amount of clicking I need to do, making the experience feel more laborious than its worth for its depth.

It was pretty hilarious when I sent a chopper full of soldiers with cool new high-tech weapons, but forgot to give them any ammo as I didn't make any. Ended up fighting the aliens with grenades and stunbatons only. : P

Also, I'm still playing 1.2.2 and it has the bug where trying to equip a cheburashka's main gun causes the game to crash, meaning my jets get blown up all the time. I really want to update, but I'd lose all my progress and the stat-changes (unless you implemented my patch I posted), so I'm gonna try to keep playing it, hopefully with the Foxtrot or the Saracen, working to some extent that I could take down the larger UFOs.

Aside from that, I'm having lots of fun, especially during ground combat. I gotta say that the stats need to be tweaked for all the new content before its good to play and I do agree with Tactical Dragon's comment about the mod introducing a little bit too much micromanagement, but all the new content it adds makes the mod compilation really neat.

Thanks for explaining how to make the ammo unlimited. Its true that its cheap and fast, but it also takes a lot of attention and doubles the amount of clicking I need to do, making the experience feel more laborious than its worth for its depth.

It was pretty hilarious when I sent a chopper full of soldiers with cool new high-tech weapons, but forgot to give them any ammo as I didn't make any. Ended up fighting the aliens with grenades and stunbatons only. : P

Also, I'm still playing 1.2.2 and it has the bug where trying to equip a cheburashka's main gun causes the game to crash, meaning my jets get blown up all the time. I really want to update, but I'd lose all my progress and the stat-changes (unless you implemented my patch I posted), so I'm gonna try to keep playing it, hopefully with the Foxtrot or the Saracen, working to some extent that I could take down the larger UFOs.

Aside from that, I'm having lots of fun, especially during ground combat. I gotta say that the stats need to be tweaked for all the new content before its good to play and I do agree with Tactical Dragon's comment about the mod introducing a little bit too much micromanagement, but all the new content it adds makes the mod compilation really neat.

You can use the newest version, just don't use the new (.26CE) EXE.

I would also like your patch to be integrated because as it stands there's no point in using the AK47 or half of the later items.

Also, Slayer 1.3.2 (and previous) have a bug with the shields in that they always start at 0 durability and can't be repaired even when you have the Repair Kits. Not sure what's causing it.

You can use the newest version, just don't use the new (.26CE) EXE.

I would also like your patch to be integrated because as it stands there's no point in using the AK47 or half of the later items.

Also, Slayer 1.3.2 (and previous) have a bug with the shields in that they always start at 0 durability and can't be repaired even when you have the Repair Kits. Not sure what's causing it.

I really need to write a known issues post and FAQ someday...lol

As explained before, just put a wrench in your inventory and make sure your shield is in the left hand slot to repair with the quick-slot in combat. They work fine and are fully repaired once you repair them atleast once during combat and while I can fix them by moving them to the "melee" category, to do so means to really clutter up that menu, so for now they are staying put under "equipment/other"...

And while I am balancing some of the weapons still (its an ongoing process), they are balanced around vanilla weapons. I do not know what weapons you feel are underpowered, give me a list and I can look into this to make sure they are not bugged. I already feel that the LasTek, multi-ammo, sprayer/flamer and melee weapons are somewhat over powered. It could be that the new "ballistic" weapons added are not properly tuned and causing the problem of being too wimpy.

If you are saying that the Metalstorm or Mars MfG weapons are weak, then that's another matter because it was intentional and needs to be re-tuned. As for the AK47, not sure what the issue is there, I have not looked at the stats in some time so it could be that needs to be made to be closer to the standard assault rifle or maybe its bugged, who knows, but I'll look later on.

Also, if your expecting all guns to have the same damage output of a plasma rifle, you'll be disappointed with the "beginner" stuff you unlock. Go try some of the other weapons in the later research trees, I think you'll find there are plenty of ones that offer the kind of punch you are looking for. Also note that with the XNT gameplay changes, a lot of aliens have high armor values & health, so guns with zero or low mitigation will feel weak too.

Again, list the weapons that you feel are out of whack and what aliens you were trying to murder and I'll have a look and see if there's something that needs fixing. :)

Edited by Slayerjerman

I really need to write a known issues post and FAQ someday...lol

As explained before, just put a wrench in your inventory and make sure your shield is in the left hand slot to repair with the quick-slot in combat. They work fine and are fully repaired once you repair them atleast once during combat and while I can fix them by moving them to the "melee" category, to do so means to really clutter up that menu, so for now they are staying put under "equipment/other"...

And while I am balancing some of the weapons still (its an ongoing process), they are balanced around vanilla weapons. I do not know what weapons you feel are underpowered, give me a list and I can look into this to make sure they are not bugged. I already feel that the LasTek, multi-ammo, sprayer/flamer and melee weapons are somewhat over powered. It could be that the new "ballistic" weapons added are not properly tuned and causing the problem of being too wimpy.

If you are saying that the Metalstorm or Mars MfG weapons are weak, then that's another matter because it was intentional and needs to be re-tuned. As for the AK47, not sure what the issue is there, I have not looked at the stats in some time so it could be that needs to be made to be closer to the standard assault rifle or maybe its bugged, who knows, but I'll look later on.

Also, if your expecting all guns to have the same damage output of a plasma rifle, you'll be disappointed with the "beginner" stuff you unlock. Go try some of the other weapons in the later research trees, I think you'll find there are plenty of ones that offer the kind of punch you are looking for. Also note that with the XNT gameplay changes, a lot of aliens have high armor values & health, so guns with zero or low mitigation will feel weak too.

Again, list the weapons that you feel are out of whack and what aliens you were trying to murder and I'll have a look and see if there's something that needs fixing. :)

Concerning the shield: Didn't know it was a known issue so sorry for repeating that.

The primary issue with the AK is that (among it's animation issues as of 1.3.2) is that it has the exact same stats as the standard ballistic rifle. Personally I feel it should have worse accuracy (since the vanilla rifle is based off the M16) but more damage.

But I'll research some more and play some more and let you know what I come up with.

Cheers :)

Yeah, like I said, i need a FAQ, heh.

I already changed the AK47 to do exactly as you stated, it now has a bit more "punch" to it with less accuracy than the standard rifle. I need to sit down and test the animation issues, since i honestly never use the AK47, im not sure of the issue, but I have seen others say the same thing. The AK47 i believe was brought in by XNT AND Asymmetrical Weapons, so its probably got a conflict of sorts. Yet another item to add to the bug list. :rolleyes:

I would just like to say that while this is a really good mod it does seem to break a few things.

Starting the game with no weapons at all is ludicrous and on top of that having to manufacture each and every item from scratch is even worse.

What military organization would set up a crack team and then provide them with no weapons at all especially if the danger was imminent.

Also when you start a game you have squad members with different abilities e.g some good at shooting some with good strength etc..

So what happens here is that when making weapons it is most likely that one will make rifles for each and every squad member as quickly as possible, meaning they all become rifle men and this may not be a good idea because of the squad members individual skills, so to me this breaks the game to some degree.

Also when one shoots down a Ufo especially at the start of the game, one is forced to hit it with an airstrike rather that send in their team to deal with the crashed UFo and salvage any Alien technology simply because they don't even have a minimal amount of weapons already provided for them, again to me this breaks the continuity of the game.

So it impacts badly on squad members skills at the start of the game as they can't be utilitsed properly.

One can't go straight into a mission on a crashed UFo straight away because of having no weapons at all.

It also has a negative affect on the researching of Alien technology because one has not been on a mission straight away, it wastes valuable time.

The Aliens are overpowered and ones team is quickly dispatched by the aliens.

It would be much more sensible at the start of the game to provide a limited but intelligent weapons load out to begin with.

Edited by slipkid69
update

I would just like to say that while this is a really good mod it does seem to break a few things.

Starting the game with no weapons at all is ludicrous and on top of that having to manufacture each and every item from scratch is even worse.

Dont like it?

Change the starting gear in /scripts/_basebuilt.lua

Seriously, it does not take that much effort to make a few machine guns/shotguns before you go sprinting off to the first UFO. Its a strategy game after all. I mean, who expects to buy a fighter jet for 100k? LOL. The squad starts with a FAIR set of gear, even for veteran difficulty for the first UFO or two. You're not preparing your squad for the first encounter with armed alien invaders, so its your fault, commander for being too trigger happy to shoot some ETs. ;)

Side rant: I was sorely tempted to make everything cost real-world equivalent, but then you'd never have any aircraft and nothing but pistols... So next time someone wants to talk about "fairness", just keep that in mind that the game isn't exactly true to "real life", so to speak. :cool:

One thing that I am learning across this whole forum is that it is of no use giving anyone any feedback at all.

Why?

Because you all CRY like little girls.

Feedback is always welcome if its not given in the form of a complaint. Again, files are right there for you to change if you dislike something and I always offer help to modify the mod to your liking. I am just not going to go and do it for you, so I'm not sure what your looking for here, sympathy because you wont find that on any forum :)

Feedback is always welcome if its not given in the form of a complaint.

Apparently not as you do not understand what positive criticism is and that is why you have become very defensive and closed minded.

Except he hasn't. He's not going to tailor the mod to you, nor should he. Right now he's most likely focused on bugs and actual balance issues and anyways most of us downloading his mod, like it the way it is with a few minor changes.

You also say you start with no weapons, but you do start with weapons.

Eh, everyone has different views of what "balance" is and I've been fighting to stay out of that and failing. Most of the mods in this compilation are merged with their original values intact. As such, when combined with the higher XNT difficulty gameplay causes them to feel weaker than they were intended. For those sorts of things I'd be happy to try to sort out.

But simply posting "zomg no guns/gunz suk" is neither positive nor helpful. I've asked for more information and if provided, chances are always very likely that I will remedy the issue....

And Dapper's correct, I'd prefer to focus right now on bugs and getting caught up on the various text entries. I've put out a lot of updates and want to give people time to also catch up. :)

Edited by Slayerjerman