(New version) XNT Into Darkness V5.2 - "PlatinumDragon" (DISCUSSION TREAD)

Sentelin

Technology tree guide or Xenopedia hints for unlocking research projects  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Technology tree guide or Xenopedia hints for unlocking research projects

Okay folks, a side question: if I wanted to try and implement a new alien without removing any of the originals, which files would need to be addressed (providing I have the image files)? Could you be that kind to offer at least a basic step-by-step guide?

We didn't remove anything.Some of aliens are just divided into more "ranks" because we wanted to increase diversity of aliens.What you need to do is:

1)Create logic in airprops.xml (take a quick look at vanilla files or our how we did that)

2)Create items for "killed" (corpse) and "stunned" (knockout) state in items.xml

3)Then you need to go in Ufo content and specify in which alien craft should that alien appear and how much chance does it have.

4)If you create any special kind of attack you need to create that entry in weapon_gc.xml

Edited by Sentelin

about instaling option:

4. Extract additional content, XNT - Into Darkness Add-On in ASSETS folder (If you want new music and few arts in game).

Those content are alredy in assets folder I presume, becasue I didnt see any core pack and additional files in downloaded mod seperetly??

The mod looks just WOW. Lots of work went into this, thank you.

A question though, you mention Kabill random map pack as recommended to be used with the mod. How about using Skitsos Ultimate Megamix Map Pack instead or even together with Kabills map pack? Would it cause any problems. Thing is, both mods are great and add variety of new maps but Kabill's adds tons of farm and desert maps while Skitsos Megamix adds wider range of different maps (urban for example) although not that many farm and desert ones. I was hoping to use both as they are both great but I don't want to have any conflicts with this mod.

I alread have difrent music then in vanila so not sure is it not implemented casue there are new files in audio folder that overwrites vanila ones.

from M2X Apollo descryption

"I would say that Apollo will be, on average, able to whitstand 2 maby 3 indirects hits from plasma shoots. Enemy misless?? You mean those devastating, condensed plasma bolts that our Condor pilots are now so good at evading? Please give me a second to make my calculations... yes...yes... I estimate a finite number beetwen null and zero"

lol i love this mod already

Just overwrite files and you will get additional sounds.

"I would say that Apollo will be, on average, able to whitstand 2 maby 3 indirects hits from plasma shoots. Enemy misless?? You mean those devastating, condensed plasma bolts that our Condor pilots are now so good at evading? Please give me a second to make my calculations... yes...yes... I estimate a finite number beetwen null and zero"

Xenopedia was finished in rush and we didn't have time for bulletproof reading.So If you run on more mistakes please report here and we will correct this in next version.

Just overwrite files and you will get additional sounds.

Xenopedia was finished in rush and we didn't have time for bulletproof reading.So If you run on more mistakes please report here and we will correct this in next version.

I think u dont underst me twice in my post. I know my english isn't perfect but I wasn't thinking its so bad.

First I said that when you unpack core mode files there is already new sound files in that, that ovevrites the oryginal ones, wchich makes me suspect that music is already implemented in core files and there is no need to download it again -unless theres is another music difrent from oryginal and from the one already in the mod.

Second I didn't point any mistakes just wrote something that make me laugh reading xenopedia which is aditional fun to the game.

@Alewalek

There may be some additional sounds in core package (if they somehow slipped ..) .But mostly it contains only re-encoded vanilla sounds by Selgald to improve performance of the game for low-end pc machines and weapon sounds.In music pack there are more sound tracks that can be added to the game.It's completely optional and it's up to you what ever you want or not to use it.

Edited by Sentelin

I do not feel like forced just wanted to make thigs clear is there new music included or no. If you say that new music is not added I may try do to download the addon but wasn't sure is it nessesery when I heard changed music already.

There is new music added to the core package difrent one then vanilas one-just checked that. So there is no point to download music seperately and if u wana make it optional you have to change it in core package.

Edited by Alewalek

We didn't remove anything.Some of aliens are just divided into more "ranks" because we wanted to increase diversity of aliens.What you need to do is:

1)Create logic in airprops.xml (take a quick look at vanilla files or our how we did that)

2)Create items for "killed" (corpse) and "stunned" (knockout) state in items.xml

3)Then you need to go in Ufo content and specify in which alien craft should that alien appear and how much chance does it have.

4)If you create any special kind of attack you need to create that entry in weapon_gc.xml

Thank you, I'll give it a try and see if I encounter any additional issues. I guess you consider xenopedia entries and/or relevant researches such as damage boost against the species optional?

Oh yeah I forgot about that.But that's story for itself.First you need to make Xenopedia entry in xenopedia.xml then you need to make entry in researches.xml that unlocks xenopedia entry when you encounter alien for the first time and recover it's corpse (just kill bastard ),then you need to make additional xenopedia entry for capture alien and make aditional entry in research.xml when you recover alive alien to give you little damage boost (check vanilla entries to see how you can do it,If you run on some problem better PM because there is no need to clutter this thread with this).

Edit:Theon is right I forgot about strings.xml,sorry about that.

Edited by Sentelin

Thank you, I'll give it a try and see if I encounter any additional issues. I guess you consider xenopedia entries optional?

Well if you want to research the aliens/corpses you will have to add them in researches.xml. (othewise what would the xenopedia use?)..at that point you can also add an entry in xenopedia.xml... But I think Sentinel forgot to mention Strings.xml which would also be needed. Otherwise your alien would be named ##### (this is not censorship. ##### would be his actual name)

lol i love this mod already

Lol, finally someone who actually reads the lore ^^

Hey Modders

GREAT Mod already!

I'm not sure if this is where you want 'Bug' reporting but I'll start here...

Soldier armed with pistol - After viewing backpack the pistol stance/sprite is gone and a bare hands stance/sprite is used instead.

I'll keep playing/testing and post any other bugs...

Wait,did this happen in Equip soldier screen or during GC mission.

Hey Sentelin

It happens during GC (Ground Combat?) mission.

Two soldiers both equipped with pistol and medpac - Check backpack and out again and the sprite changes.

I just tested and removed medpac on one soldier and the sprite reverts back to pistol wielding sprite.

Hope this makes sense...

Hello! Gotta say, I just created this account to tell you how great this mod looks like, but I have some questions.

So, I played some Xenonauts, and being the Modaholic that I am it was just a matter of time before I noticed this mod. However, I am new to Xeno's modding scene, and aparently its a lot based on file substitutions (despite the mod options on the launcher :P)

So, I would like to ask, what mods do you recomend alongside this one? UI, graphics, tweaks. I see a lot of interesting mods on the forum, but I am unaware of those who play together well etc.

Also, any advice to almost 100% new guy to the game? And some tips on the mod aswell, buildings, research, tactics, you name it.

Thanks in advance!

It happens during GC (Ground Combat?) mission.

Two soldiers both equipped with pistol and medpac - Check backpack and out again and the sprite changes.

I just tested and removed medpac on one soldier and the sprite reverts back to pistol wielding sprite.

Hope this makes sense...

This will also happen when you use med pack and stays like that until you select pistol and shot. I think this is common vanilla issue.But I didn't know it also happens when you open backpack.Not sure if we can do anything about it (not until Solver get's back),because it requires fixing within source code.However this is just visual bug so your pistols is not gone :) And yea GC is Ground Combat.

Edited by Sentelin