(New version) XNT Into Darkness V5.2 - "PlatinumDragon" (DISCUSSION TREAD)

Sentelin

Technology tree guide or Xenopedia hints for unlocking research projects  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Technology tree guide or Xenopedia hints for unlocking research projects

I have encountered 2 probably research related problems, but I can't figure out what may cause them:

Edit: I managed to solve both of them.

1. I shot down a carrier quite some time ago now, did the mission and retrieved a datacore, but no xenopedia entry shows up like it did for other type of crafts (fast forwarded a few weeks, still nothing), and I can't research/do it's datacore dissassembly either. If I remember correctly I transfered the datacore right after the mission to another base with free hangar to dissassemble it later, may that be a cause? Could a newly aquired datacore trigger the research again?

2. I've just researched VortexTech and then AdvancePlasmaRifle. The Keeper's xenopedia entry appears corectly, but after that there is no notification about new manufacture option and there isn't one on the manufacture screen either. Also the rifle does not appear in the weapon list on the soilder equipment screen.

Solution of 1: reserach.xml line 1787 contained Researches.AlienCrusierDatacoreDsb, but it needs to be Researches.AlienCruiserDatacoreDsb.

Solution of 2: research.xml contains ManTech.PKeeper in row 1751, but the manufactures.xml has ManTech.Pkeeper with a small k, so it's case sensitive. I corrected them both to be capital K, and the manufacture and item shows up, but it's name on the manufacture screen is ##### now because strings.xml doesn't have an entry for ManTech.PKeeper. I copied the entry for weapon.PKeeper and now it's working properly. :)

Edited by FaterW

I have encountered 2 probably research related problems, but I can't figure out what may cause them:

1. I shot down a carrier quite some time ago now, did the mission and retrieved a datacore, but no xenopedia entry shows up like it did for other type of crafts (fast forwarded a few weeks, still nothing), and I can't research/do it's datacore dissassembly either. If I remember correctly I transfered the datacore right after the mission to another base with free hangar to dissassemble it later, may that be a cause? Could a newly aquired datacore trigger the research again?

2. I've just researched VortexTech and then AdvancePlasmaRifle. The Keeper's xenopedia entry appears corectly, but after that there is no notification about new manufacture option and there isn't one on the manufacture screen either. Also the rifle does not appear in the weapon list on the soilder equipment screen.

Cause of 2: research xml contains ManTech.PKeeper in row 1751, but the manufactures.xml has ManTech.Pkeeper with a small k, so it's case sensitive. I corrected it, and the manufacture and item shows up, but it's name on the manufacture screen is ##### now, but shows up correctly in the soldier screen tooltip...

Thank you for reporting!

I will give you some feedback

The Carrier Dissembling protocol needs "Items.AlienCarrierDatacore(AND)Researches.AlienCrusierDatacoreDsb"

When unlocked the manufacture "ManTech.CarrierDSB" is unlocked. The you manage to Dissemble the first Carrier to receive recovered equipment. The first time you make it, you add this equipment to research lab, the next multiple times you make other Dissembling you will receive the recovered equipment to sell. When you have "Recovered Carrier Equipment" + "Alien Reactor" + "Alien Alloy Hardening" you will unlock the next aircraft.

Tell me if you find some inconstancy, and thank you soo much!

Hey, guys. Great mod, can't wait to see next version.

I have one question: air striking crash site gives much less cash than securing UFO, have you considered increasing air strike reward? Right now I feel forced to do every single crash site to get cash. I have strike team in every base because of that reason. So when I set up 3 or 4 bases game starts to have bit too much grind. It's just my subjective opinion. Maybe I'm not supposed to secure every single ufo?

Anyway you did huge amount of great work here :)

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback!

We calculate that the amount of money recovered by air strike is well enough because this increased funding bonus. In our calculations and statistics this values seem to work well. Economy is very delicate thing, each change compromise a lot the integrity of the system.

Try dissembling and manufacturing to increase the income balance.

:D

We'r glad that you enjoy the mod!

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting!

I will give you some feedback

The Carrier Dissembling protocol needs "Items.AlienCarrierDatacore(AND)Researches.AlienCrusierDatacoreDsb"

When unlocked the manufacture "ManTech.CarrierDSB" is unlocked. The you manage to Dissemble the first Carrier to receive recovered equipment. The first time you make it, you add this equipment to research lab, the next multiple times you make other Dissembling you will receive the recovered equipment to sell. When you have "Recovered Carrier Equipment" + "Alien Reactor" + "Alien Alloy Hardening" you will unlock the next aircraft.

Tell me if you find some inconstancy, and thank you soo much!

In the meantime I've managed to solve both this problem and the one with the Keeper, I wrote them in my previous post.

Well it should work like the others before if I'm right, and I've already done this process with corvette, landingship and cruiser, they all work perfectly as intended. I have a carrier datacore, the tech to dsb cruisers, done it several times and now I have the correct line in the xml as well :D but I still don't have the research for the carrier datacore as I should. What triggers a new research to be available? When the game checks if a certain reserches requirements are met so it can appear in the lab?

+1

research.xml line 1094 at the end requires correction because currently Selgald alienium torpedoes don't get replaced by plasma torpedoes (I think they intended to do so, because the replacement is there but missing AV.):

Near end of line: "SELGALD" to "AV.SELGALD"

+2

Fusion rocket currently has the image of the plasma rocket. It should be changed in the weapons.xml (at lines 1565 and 1566 from weapons/misc/rocketplasma to weapons/misc/rocketfusion)

Edited by FaterW

Thanks for the very pointed help of issues ^^

I take careful notes about your quotes.

I really appreciate it.

I'm glad I can help. I have a little experience with coding and bug-hunting and I really don't like if things don't work as they supposed to work so I usually search for the bugs until my eyes fall out :D

2 questions:

-Why can't I shoot from the same place twice with the Hyperion? I always have to moove to shoot again, even after ending the turn.

-If a soldier has more than 100 accuracy why does his hit% less if he is crouched than when he is standing?

Well it should work like the others before if I'm right, and I've already done this process with corvette, landingship and cruiser, they all work perfectly as intended. I have a carrier datacore, the tech to dsb cruisers, done it several times and now I have the correct line in the xml as well :D but I still don't have the research for the carrier datacore as I should. What triggers a new research to be available? When the game checks if a certain reserches requirements are met so it can appear in the lab?

+1

research.xml line 1094 at the end requires correction because currently Selgald alienium torpedoes don't get replaced by plasma torpedoes (I think they intended to do so, because the replacement is there but missing AV.):

Near end of line: "SELGALD" to "AV.SELGALD"

+2

Fusion rocket currently has the image of the plasma rocket. It should be changed in the weapons.xml (at lines 1565 and 1566 from weapons/misc/rocketplasma to weapons/misc/rocketfusion)

I have check the entries of AV.SELGALD and now is corrected. :D

I also check the image of the rocket.

Thanks

For V5.3 all paths of dissembling as been reviewed and fixed.

2 questions:

-Why can't I shoot from the same place twice with the Hyperion? I always have to moove to shoot again, even after ending the turn.

-If a soldier has more than 100 accuracy why does his hit% less if he is crouched than when he is standing?

Yes, we are working with solver working on accuracy equation. Is a quiet strange glitch of the calculations.

Hey guys,

How do you reduce the AOE effect of the Vortex gun I've tried different tactics but in the end its just getting frustrating having my 3 or 4 guys knocked out at once just to have a guy with a medi pak go in to revive and pass out also and I don't like spreading out my guys all over the board just to avoid being knocked out by this I prefer a SWAT team formation just my own personal play style so any help would be appreciated I assumed it was in the weapons gcxml file right here but after I changed the radius from 3.5 to 1.0 the vortex gun still has same effect in game.

<GUIImage name="gui/weapons/combatvortex.png"/>

<GroundImage name="grounditemimages/alien_heavyrifle.png"/>

<Ammos>

<Ammo name="ammo.alienplasmacell" type="incendiary" damage="20" mitigation="5" stunDamage="35" isOverdamage="0">

<Projectile spectre="projectiles/combatplasma/laser" speed="2000" showAfterDistance="60.0"/>

<Impact spectre="particles/plasmaexplosion/plasmaexplosion" radius="1.0" sound="Weapon Frag Grenade" fireChance="0" smokeChance="20" gasType="StunGas" />

Edited by Derekash71

Hey guys,

How do you reduce the AOE effect of the Vortex gun I've tried different tactics but in the end its just getting frustrating having my 3 or 4 guys knocked out at once just to have a guy with a medi pak go in to revive and pass out also and I don't like spreading out my guys all over the board just to avoid being knocked out by this I prefer a SWAT team formation just my own personal play style so any help would be appreciated I assumed it was in the weapons gcxml file right here but after I changed the radius from 3.5 to 1.0 the vortex gun still has same effect in game.

The best way to avoid Vortex damage is, take cover, keep distance, use snipers to take down vortex users, avoid LoS. Try to develop some kind of tactic instead of changing the code. Better armor provide better protection against vortex. To improve survivability I suggest you to research armors as priority.

I know you also have the game sprites to support this in GC, why are you so shy to share them :P

Of course! The players can take parts of the mod and apply to vanilla already, that require some minor adjustments in xml.

We always want to share.

The best way to avoid Vortex damage is, take cover, keep distance, use snipers to take down vortex users, avoid LoS. Try to develop some kind of tactic instead of changing the code. Better armor provide better protection against vortex. To improve survivability I suggest you to research armors as priority.

Of course! The players can take parts of the mod and apply to vanilla already, that require some minor adjustments in xml.

We always want to share.

Can I have the disco one? :))))

Hi, I just finish the vanilla xenonauts veteran mode and now I am planning to install the mod for this game and replay it. Your mod (into the darkness) seem to caught my attention! :D. I wonder if its stable or balance? I plan to ironman normal mode. If not then i will just play it in normal mode.

I will install these recommended pack and compatible mod

Optional Music Pack

KABILL RANDOM MAP PACK!

Kabill's Fire in the Hole! (UFO Hull Breach)

But I want to know is "Asymmetric Weapons Tech with Plausible Advanced Ballistics" will work well with this mod? Or is there any other pack/mod that you will recommend to make it a good experience.

Thank you for ur reply! appreciate it

Xenophobia (that's sub mod for XNT) is bit outdated though.It works with 5.22 but it was made for v 5.21 and thus could cause CTD or something weird. I recommend you to wait a little longer for dev of that mod to update mod for upcoming v 5.3.

Edit:Beside Xenophobia I don't recommended any other total conversion or overhaul mod to be used with XNT,unless you want to spend time merging dozen of files and risk balance issues and CTDs

You can use however visual mods (if you are using Oppressive UI make sure that you don't overwrite any XNT xml file and If you do that by mistake just apply our mod again and overwrite Oppressive UI when you get prompt ).

P.S I am typing this message via android phone so please excuse any grammar error or misspelled word

Edited by Sentelin

I agree with you, capturing a live alien should yield a reward, I'm just saying I don't feel the connection between the tech and the alien in this specific case.

Captured alive aliens could have the reward that described in xenopaedia - if they studied, they give +10% dmg|mitigation bonus with dealing to them (knowing not only their weak body points - mitigation - from corpse, but their tactics as well - overal dmg from alive... androns give it just dead, butthe research time could be tripled), elsewise to make more alloys|alienum drop from ufos with that crew (knowing of how the store and manage things).

so corpse study and alive study must be researchable and diverse. maybe even diverse more - so study of alive sion gives some defs psi, study of alive officer gives even more dmg so the reward of stuning of alien officers isn't only once in game... for androns - just corpse of the officer. so the rewards for alive aliens from the land battle could be some buffed from corpses (surplus from world research divisions) or may be capturing alive species - this is what give after its research addons of money gain from land battles from corpses and alive.

any floating units andcore data core researchs so could give surplus in dmg to ufos, upp the reward from airstrikes or (knowing the weak points and their inner consistensy) - making overal items in the ship or less brakable (more loot) or more costly.

so maybe whenthenews happen - they could be(if itsworkable) with quantium center upgraded to tell what ufo and what aim?

and for ufo not only crew and aim, but their behavior|description of group not only numbers but ranks too?

as i understand - bravery isn't the easy to upp thing - may be it could be upped as a trigger for taking alive species - from stun baton 0.25, from greande 0.1|per alien (for example)?

question with tanks.

so i know that it is hardly to mod them. but - doese their turrets modable? and doese in turret definitions could be integrated defense, tu, reaction, accuracy, suppression and other values?

so make tank variety from their turret builds-shassis?

so doese it work or not to put some parametrs from initcharacters.xml

-<HumanVehicle name="Vehicle 1" rearArmour="FerretRear" sideArmour="FerretSide" frontArmour="FerretFront" primaryWeapon="Ferret_50cal" type="ferret"><props ap="100" hp="100" strength="80" shootAccuracy="100" reflexes="50" maxVisibilityRange="100" type="heavy" pathWidth="3"/>

like "hp", for example

to vhicleweapons_gc.xml ?

question with alien attack values. and fear-of from them.

we could have reaper that bu touch could make from soldier -monster.

we have a Mind control mechanics

would it be a good idea to make infected by some like spores (from touch-able mitigation)- that the unit doesn'tbecome monster, but change the side - like succubus control. so spores influence not only one turn but some more - so mitigation into defence and random 50-150% - cheacks how much.

so its become not only psionics MC fearsome enemy,but may be give the lesser vipers that ability, so their pack attack would be real fear, not only raping soldiers with its tail

i am intrested - doese enemy bases modable?

the idea is to make human-like bases in lost regions, with influenced humans - civswith weapons, and little pack of aliens as command group. or there no any activity from lost regions at all. - may be that bases could launch condors for patrol too and their radars act as interference stations that hinders alien activity in their zones? - make it less spotable

or even to-level bases - first level is just a standart land base map, and second is a like ours base, but where we are attackers, not defenders.

Edited by Kirill Selivanov

+ question.

doese terror missions happen in lost regions?

well maybe it could be acting like anti-terror missions than?

doese there some trigger that turn region to "lost" status?

what it makes of? set to zero money gain?

may be attacking the terror missions in lost regions give money level up, that set money +1$?

so civilian bases succesful invade make that too... perhaps if its possible

This mod is not nessesery to play XNT or can even brake balance a bit, but if u want it anyway just look into xenophobia mod, I think its in completed mod section. This mod combines XNT and 2 weapon mods and other fetures as well.

Thanks you for your reply Alewalek and Sentelin. Yes i notice the mod having CTD issue and will wait for it (i mean xenophobia). Anyway I will try to play this mod then. i like the feature that are being introduced. I definitely choosing air superiority path haha

Hello Albertloo,

I hope you enjoy our work! ;)

My best wishes

@Kirill,

Yes I understand you, but you need to remember that sice the first moment I say "I BEGIN A PROJECT, but I will post continuous updates to fill and polish the game"

Polish material is not easy, balance the game is even worst, making new weapons sounds easy but is not, about vehicles lot of you ideas sounds really cool!!! (Specially the turret!) but mod Vehicles is a titanic and almost impossible task.

We put all that we can between versions and Im proud of our advancement.

Just small observation about reduced price and upk of all the staff.

Last time when i have started a game from the beginning I made changes to cost off staff, casue I was thnking that It may go way to easy if I play the reduced costs. After 2m of game play Iam happy with that change ( vanila prices). Not sure anyone observe that its much easier to have lots of scientists when they cost only 5k.