Xenonauts: Community Edition discussion

Solver

Would it be possible to introduce some sort of leaning option where soldiers could spend action points to lean out and shoot around a corner? It would be more realistic and also remove one of the more annoying issues in the game: where aliens can shoot around/through corners just fine even though Xenonauts cannot.

Finding a way to re-enable some sort of cover indicator might be interesting as well. I know some don't like it, but it would of course be an option. 90% of the time I can tell when units are in/out of cover but due to the alien's bizarre shooting abilities and the isometric viewpoint, I am occasionally unsure whether or not a unit has cover.

Edited by conductor_bosh

Would it be possible to introduce some sort of leaning option where soldiers could spend action points to lean out and shoot around a corner? It would be more realistic and also remove one of the more annoying issues in the game: where aliens can shoot around/through corners just fine even though Xenonauts cannot.

The AI uses the same shooting rules as the player does. There are asymmetries, but it's due to relative position rather than because the AI uses a different system to the player. (You can test this by putting your soldiers in places where you couldn't shoot aliens but they could shoot you).

I'll try again then; didn't know it was possible. I've been unable to properly fire around any corners, but I am consistently shot by aliens through corner walls with 100% blockage. Or at least, there would be 100% blockage if I tried to fire along that same line.

I've seen other posting recently about the alien-shooting-thru-walls thing though, so that may just be a bug.

EDIT: Didn't see kabill's post. Alright then. So is leaning A. impossible or B. possible but it is just calculated automatically w/o an animation or TU consumption?

"Leaning" is represented by the LoF being calculated from any of the subsections of the shooter's tile (choosing the best one). This creates a small amount of ability to shoot around corners since tracing a LoF from the back corner of the shooter's tile gives a wider field of fire.

So there's no TU cost or animation. It's simply built into the LoF system.

But isn't he correct in that it is impossible to both get cover from corners and be able to shoot while by a corner? Seems a bit off.

It depends on the angle. Since LoF traces from the best part of the shooter's tile to the centre of the target's, LoF is asymmetrical between the two meaning that it is possible for one unit to have LoF on the other but not the other way around. There's some diagrams I made floating around the forum somewhere to illustrate this, but I'm not sure where exactly.

As for shots hitting corners: to the best of my knowledge, this is simply an artifact of the scatter system. If you're shooting at a tight angle, then any shots which veer off in the direction of the wall that's protecting you will block the shots immediately, resulting in you just shooting the wall. It's possible there's some other issue (i.e. bullets not pathing along the indicated LoF even on hits), but I'm fairly certain it;s just how scatter works.

Request:

For Sounds_gc.xml

A "random" class, that plays SFX in his list on a random method. Would be a very nice addition for the atmosphere. (and also I can have a lot of fun with my SFX work.)

If possible, a random class for urban, artic, farm, sand, basedefence, baseattack each

Edited by Selgald

Skitso, can you make a brief list of a few more colours you would like to be moddable? For colours that are actually hardcoded as code constants, I should be able to easily expose them to XML.

In addition to all the other stuff I listed earlier, there's actually lots of hard coded colors in the air combat:

• pause text

• combat area's frame

• dotted movement/aim lines

• fire arc cones

• all the texts at the right side of the screen

Also, don't know if I'm the only one, but it really bugs me that air combat's speed buttons are not centered to the combat area but the whole screen. It should be horizontaly aligned to the pause text.

Edited by Skitso

- Create some kind of "random block" for UFO contents, like "1-1 Random_Block1_Aggressive", other xml contain a random list of units that can fill this gap in UFO contents.

Yeah, I'd forgotten about this. That sounds like a really good way of implementing it if it could be done like that. Very flexible.

Will my saves from 1.07 work with CE?

To elaborate, our policy seems to be that you will always be able to go forwards (i.e. 1.07 to CE or .23 CE to .23 CE) but you can't go back (if you load a 1.07 save in CE and then save in CE, that new save cannot be opened in 1.07).