Website Online!

Hello everyone, and welcome to our new corporate site. This site is intended to become the new community hub for Goldhawk, while the current Xenonauts site is to be replaced with something a bit more slick and streamlined that will market the game a bit better. Why are we doing this? Well, we’ve had a tough couple of weeks where Paypal have pulled the plug on our account and the resulting story going viral sent so much traffic to our site that it crashed and sadly never recovered. Even now we can’t change the front page, which is pretty crippling.

The good news is that this has proved a perfect excuse for us to upgrade our infrastructure, so here’s a list of major improvements over the last site:

Forums:

We’ve upgraded our forums from the creaky integrated Joomla forums we were using to vBulletin, which is far more powerful and a lot easier on the eye.

The forums should now support attachments properly, and we’ve put in a few goodies like forum achievements and autopost of news items to the forums etc.

You’ll also not have to re-register move forums once Xenonauts is released – our future projects will all be based out of this website too.

The pre-orders will now be serviced through Desura, so the forum is no longer segregated into normal people and pre-orderers. Anyone can read the bug reports and pre-order discussions, although they obviously can’t take part until they pre-order!

Blog:

We’ll now have two seperate blogs, one on Xenonauts.com and one here. The Xenonauts one will be much more ‘in character’ and focused on the game than before, whereas the one on this site will be more focused on the team and what we’re up to.

You’ll still be able to track both from this site, though, as we’ll run everything through the front-page news slider and boths news articles will autopost to the ‘Announcements’ section of the forums.

Wiki:

We’ve added an official wiki for Xenonauts on the site, which is the community is free to edit (although we’ll help you get started).

This is intended to preserve the knowledge of the community – previously people would make long forum posts to explain things, but now we can just write a blog post or link to an existing one.

This is going to be particularly valuable for the mappers and modders amongst you, as the game can be quite oblique at first but a couple of wiki posts should get everyone going nicely!

Those are the key improvements over the last site. Our hand was rather forced on this matter thanks to the previous site imploding, but hopefully this new setup should make much easier for us and for you!

Bridged the gap. I think I still have all my appendages intact but I'm afraid to look. At least my fingers still work.

These forums are indeed bright. I like it but I can't help but think we just spiked our electricity consumption by a noticable amount. Long live the new site!

Hey yeah, my little picture isn't coming up... Chris has one, so does Sathra and iamkyon. Any idea why that is? I certainly added one!

It took me a while to figure it out, too, but your avatar and your profile image (which you seem to have uploaded already) are two separate things. Simply repeat the linking or uploading manoeuvre on the Edit Avatar page, and you're good to go!

I will say though it might be necessary in the future to segregate between game owners/preorders and site visitors. When the game becomes more popular, the community will flood over time, and soon chaos will rule -- human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

Going to be strange not seeing Shouting Man anymore.

Ha ha I can send you a little .jpg of that if you want it?

Anyone else think it looks a bit like an Aperture Science test chamber in here with all these bright white surfaces.

Hopefully Chris will provide cake.

THE CAKE IS A LIE!

No but I do agree with you. Quite bright after the Xenonaut's forums... Probably to hide the subliminal messaging...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Figured i'd make my presence known again on the new site :)

Chris- Grats on the new site and all the kinks getting ironed out (digital distro, websites, forums, etc)

Glad to see some familiar faces (some of the shouting kind as well ;) )

Looking forward to the ever progressing game... its really turning into something amazing!

Cant wait to play the final version!!

-G

*shrug*

No idea what's going on with that, but now I don't have the SPAM award, so oddly pleased and unhappy at the same time...

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd wager that the forum puts only recently acquired achievements on display.

Edited to add: I guess I was wrong - it looks as though Gazz is still sporting all of his!

Edited by iamkyon