So in my current game I ordered a new batch of recruits. When they arrived I was surprised to see that they weren't privates, as I expected, but corporals. All of them.

I annoys the hell out of me, and I desperatly want this to be changed. (Not saying you HAVE to, just saying it would make me a happy camper)

I've seen that later on in the game that you get slightly more experienced recruits. This was to offset the fact that putting novices into later game missions would end up in disaster for the player.

I wasn't a fan of this at all, as it feel it's demeaning to the efforts of all the soldiers used form the start/ doesn't promote tactical use of squad rotation etc.

I do think that there is a point where local forces have taken on the smaller UFOs that having more experienced troops coming into the Xenonuat fold would have some logic to it. They would have had experience in fighting the aliens. This can be represented in a slight increase in stats. However, they absolutely should still be Privates, reflecting their status in the Xenonauts.