V20 Stable Candidate 2 available!

I have it at 1920x1080 and not had one Crash of any sort over many hours of play, Nvidia 770.

Do any of you update your .net using windows update? I remember this caused the same type of problem with a game once.

As I said, I play on Linux with Wine. As that should mean I run no Windows code itself at all, I doubt this bug has anything to do with the underlying system (unless Wine is this good with mimicking bugs). My guess is that it's a race condition somewhere in the game that's just more or less likely to show up depending on the circumstances.

Chris: I tried running a compilation in the background while loading the game, and I now have a hard time reproducing the crash even in 1920x1080. That, together with FGART's screen recording, could suggest that the problem is likely to show only on faster machines (I have a dual-core Phenom II X2 at 3.1GHz and SSD disk).

EDIT: Actually I now have problems reproducing it even normally, so maybe this is nonsense. Well, race conditions are always fun.

Edited by llunak

Chris: I tried running a compilation in the background while loading the game, and I now have a hard time reproducing the crash even in 1920x1080. That, together with FGART's screen recording, could suggest that the problem is likely to show only on faster machines (I have a dual-core Phenom II X2 at 3.1GHz and SSD disk).

I have intel Core i3, 4gb, Ati 5670, 750gb

New game, 'Ground Combat loading' then a CTD. Twice. I tried deleting all my save games.... still crashes.

Win7 64.

EDIT: Went to steam and did a 'verify integrity of game cache'. Steam said one file was invalid and needed to be downloaded. No CTD now.

Edited by ls35a

Plausible, actually. The debug build the coders use is much more performance intensive than the the normal builds. Maybe that's why Giovanni can't reproduce it?

Plausible, actually. The debug build the coders use is much more performance intensive than the the normal builds. Maybe that's why Giovanni can't reproduce it?

If that wasn't just a rhetorical question, I've seen enough bugs there were even "fixed" by just running them in a debugger, so that's hard to say. And right now I cannot reproduce the problem anymore no matter what I try :(. I can try testing this more later, but by this point all testing is probably just a guesswork - if I was a developer working on this, by now I'd be either running this thing in something like Dr.Memory or reviewing all commits in the revision system since the last build that worked.

I just started another new game to see if it would be good twice - nope. CTD at first mission.

I checked the integrity of the game cache on steam, they told me again one file was corrupt and needed to be downloaded again.

EDIT: I have now started two games from one 'verify game cache' so I don't know what's going on here.

Edited by ls35a

I'm on an i5 3570 at 2560x1440. Getting the crash when loading first ground combat. It takes a very long time for the loading bar to move across, over a minute, and then crashes when it nears the end. It used to load pretty fast before.

Yeah, something has changed here. I'm getting about three times longer loading times than in previous builds... don't know if it's tied to this crashing problem or not, but 70-80 sec loading times are simply no where near acceptable

Chris

I started another new game at 1600x900. Saved just before the first CM. Mission loaded successfully. I then quit, changed game resolution to 1680x1050, loaded the save and it CTD on the CM loading screen.

From that I conclude that the game crashes (for me) running it in 1680x1050 resolution.

For the record: Windows 7 64bit. I5 3550 3.3GHz unclocked. ATI 5850 1Gb unclocked

Hello again,

Since i started a new game, with clear install, i was able to play without too much problems (two CTD in ground combat).

My computer: I7 2600, 16GB RAM, SSD, 2x560XT SLI, W7 Home Premium

About playing:

- Loading of ground combat, now takes a lot of time

- I have read that there is a starting animation, but i didnt see it

- When you finished a ground combat mission, at debriefing, you DONT get any point (for killing aliens, saving civilians, etc...)

- In ground combat mission, i got CDT when clicked a soldier inventory (like other players have reported)

- In ground combat, sometimes autoscroll fail (awsd works)

Edited by Helky

Chris

I started another new game at 1600x900. Saved just before the first CM. Mission loaded successfully. I then quit, changed game resolution to 1680x1050, loaded the save and it CTD on the CM loading screen.

From that I conclude that the game crashes (for me) running it in 1680x1050 resolution.

For the record: Windows 7 64bit. I5 3550 3.3GHz unclocked. ATI 5850 1Gb unclocked

Well, i think that further testing could be required to know if it came from resolution or image ratio.

1600/900=1.778

1680/1050=1.6

Maybe you can try with other resolution to see if the problem come from ratio or just 1680*1050

For my part i have no CTD on load with a 1680*1050 resolution... weird