[v14] Strength stat not increasing

I've played a good couple of missions now with all my soldiers loaded up over the weight limit and not got any strength increases. I've got the AP increases regularly so it's not because I'm not moving them enough.

I had a look through gameconfig and found this:

<strengthProgress pointsToProgress="1"

maxPointsInSingleBattle="100"

globalMaxProgress="100"

strengthCoeff="80"

comment="Points are given when soldier moves of one tile while carrying a weight that is strenghtCoeff percent greater than its maximum carry weight" />

The numbers seem odd for a start (it only takes 1 point to progress and you can earn 100 in a single battle?) and perhaps I'm reading it wrong but I understand the comment as you have to carry 80% more than the maximum carry weight, rather than 80% of the maximum carry weight.

So that might be the cause.

Edit: I tried putting the StrengthCoeff down to 10 and put pointsToProgress to 75. Am now getting strength increases.

Edited by Khall

perhaps I'm reading it wrong but I understand the comment as you have to carry 80% more than the maximum carry weight, rather than 80% of the maximum carry weight.

So that might be the cause.

No. A strength progress is done if a soldier does carry more than strengthCoeff percent of his maximum carry weight, so if a soldier is able to carry 50kg, a strength progress is done if he does a movement carrying more than 40 kg.

Works fine for me, maybe that 80 percent is a little too high, but that's a balancing issue, not a bug.

I wasn't getting any increases until I changed it so :confused:

But the calculation seem off to me. If you get a point when you move a tile while carrying over 80% of the maximum, and it only takes 1 point to progress, and the maximum is 100 per battle, why aren't you getting +1 strength every time you move?

You may have misunderstood the meaning of maximum carry weight, then.

Go to the soldier tab in the base, you can see a progress bar indicating how much weight a soldier is carrying. That turns red if you equip a soldier more than will allow him to move easily, but the maximum carry weight is when all the bar is complete, both the green and the red part (also, note that aps after penalty should be zero).

You do never overcharge soldiers to the 80% probably, and that's a good thing!

I also think this is a balancing issue. During a mission i attempted carrying an alien corpse on 2 soldiers. At the end of the mission both soldiers STR went to 100 which i believe is max. I beleive the maxpointsinsingle battle is to blame i think it needs to be max 5.

<strengthProgress pointsToProgress="1" maxPointsInSingleBattle="100" globalMaxProgress="100" strengthCoeff="80" comment="Points are given when soldier carries a weight that is greater than strenghtCoeff percent its maximum carry weight" />

I think Chris intends it to be a max of 2 points per battle. isn't that what the other stats has?

I also thought that Chris said that he changed the required weight from encumbering the soldier to 80 % of max carry weight. The way I understood that was that it would gain strength BEFORE it started affecting the APs?

For some reason I think the strengthProgress pointsToProgress="1" and maxPointsInSingleBattle="100" points has been flipped. And that the coefficient is not working as intended currently.

I think Chris intends it to be a max of 2 points per battle. isn't that what the other stats has?

I also thought that Chris said that he changed the required weight from encumbering the soldier to 80 % of max carry weight. The way I understood that was that it would gain strength BEFORE it started affecting the APs?

For some reason I think the strengthProgress pointsToProgress="1" and maxPointsInSingleBattle="100" points has been flipped. And that the coefficient is not working as intended currently.

That would make a lot more sense, i am going to edit it and play with the result.

The intention is that if a soldier carries over 80% of their max carry weight (so 30kg if they have 60 strength, 80% of which is 24kg) then they will gain strength increase points every time they take a step.

There should be X amount of these points required for the Strength attribute to go up by 1 point (X being the variable we have to balance).

There should be a max of +2 Strength attribute increase per battle. If you guys have a series of settings that can make this happen then awesome. Otherwise I'll get Giovanni to look at it.

This issue is now resolved, now the 80% of the carry weight is considered.

So if a soldier has strength 50 he can carry up to 25 kg without having any AP penalties, and if he carries more than 20 kg, he is capable of gain a strength progress.

(obiouvsly he will have to move a certain number of tiles in the ground to get it, and this is now the variable that has to be balanced)

I know it's now been fixed for the next build, but just to point out under the current V14 implementation if you severely overload a soldier (in this case, I got a Sgt down to 25AP via a combination of MG, MG Ammo and Rockets + Jackal) and run him/her around a mission for a bit, you'll see their strength bounce up to 100 at the end of the round along with a big fat promotion :)

I know it's now been fixed for the next build, but just to point out under the current V14 implementation if you severely overload a soldier (in this case, I got a Sgt down to 25AP via a combination of MG, MG Ammo and Rockets + Jackal) and run him/her around a mission for a bit, you'll see their strength bounce up to 100 at the end of the round along with a big fat promotion :)

Thanks for report, was related to the stat increasing issue.

Now there's a limit on how many strength points can be gained in each mission (I think Chris decided for +2), so you shouldn't be able to do this again in the next builds.

Don't know about the overload bit, my regular guys have just bounced from 50s/60s to 98s/100s in terms of strength after a singel Corvette mission. They were perhaps overloaded by (graphically) 1-2% (red bar vs green bar). Was on 14.1, just upgraded to the second 14.1 version (uploaded 12 hours or so ago) when I noticed it? Resilience has also jumped up 10 or so points in a number of team-members...

Oh they are also all Lieutenants now, so I guess it is the 'issue' you have described.