Three HUZZAHS for Gijs-Jan!

Having spent quite a few hours with 22.9 I am very impressed with the AI. It's smart and unpredictable. I've had them come charging out of UFOs and attack my guys. I've had them hide and snipe. They're making good use of cover and taking advantage of bad human moves. This AI is WAY better than the OG!

HUZZAH!

HUZZAH!

HUZZAH!

It seems interesting, but it digs so deep in the basis of the game that it takes some time for me to track the changes and decide what I like and what I don't. I have already downloaded the mod and I am looking at the files. I like to understand what I am dealing with and tweak things to my taste. I have no inclination to be a blind follower. In anything. I admire the tireless workers we see here, devs and modders, and respect them enough to be selective and use what deserves merit. I am looking Into Darkness. I want to be your partner in it.

I must say that I watch the videos and I saw good things, but my first impression was that the ranges are too long and the units fire too much shots in a single turn. New weapons are cool but are going a little too much in the direction of 'too fancy to my taste'. I am a classic 35 guy. I will take a chat with TD when I know his work enough to give him a good feedback. We can chat via Steam too, Victor, in our home language, and trade ideas.

Anyway, thanks for remember me. Um abraço!

I approve of the message. The aliens are kicking my ass - staying in a covered position where they're hard to hit, opening UFO doors to blast at my troops outside, and targeting an exposed distant Xenonaut instead of a well-protected shield-carrying guy right next to them. Good stuff.

I approve of the message. The aliens are kicking my ass - staying in a covered position where they're hard to hit, opening UFO doors to blast at my troops outside, and targeting an exposed distant Xenonaut instead of a well-protected shield-carrying guy right next to them. Good stuff.

The las one sounds particularly good, it's one of the main AI weaknesses besides the obvious ones I've been experiencing in the stable build. Impressive, ground combat will transform in a much more tactical experience then! I only wish some stats could play a more significant role as they rise, bravery in particular.

By the way, on the first runs in Xeno I thought that snipers and machineguns was not that awesome and may even be traded for more versatile assault rifles. Now I can live without them! They really are great to cover other soldiers movement from safe position!

I guess it has a lot to do with one's general approach to the game and tactical comfort zone. I personally found ballistic assault rifles exceptionally poor in comparison to heavy machineguns and snipers and discarded the role entirely. Now I'm trying to persist with them in the current playthrough and see if my opinion changes when I reach the plasma stage.

I guess it has a lot to do with one's general approach to the game and tactical comfort zone. I personally found ballistic assault rifles exceptionally poor in comparison to heavy machineguns and snipers and discarded the role entirely. Now I'm trying to persist with them in the current playthrough and see if my opinion changes when I reach the plasma stage.

I like their versatile. Both sniper and machinegun are very poor to assaults since it give the aliens higher chance of reaction fire. The AR have a burst fire to kill closer stuff and single shots for long range or "I just need one more shot to kill" moments. The machinegun even have an accuracy penalty for moving and shooting in the same turn (I dont think the sniper have it).

Snipers are great from far away and machinegun to quick dispatch a heavy target or suppressing fire, but to my style they perform poorly when out of those situations, especially 'cause I like mobile and versatile forces in wide formations.

Their strength lies in their versatility. They aren't as good at close range as shotguns, or at long range as sniper rifles, or at suppression/damage output of machineguns. However they can do all three decently, and if you aren't sure what kind of battleground you are going into, they are your best bet.

That's the thing for me, legit1337, they didn't do it decently in my early game. They ticked awful at all boxes and with teams large enough I just picked specialized soldiers to deliver the best options to combat.

I'm still persisting with them on Veteran and it does get more useful once I researched Laser weaponry, but early game had me hate them with passion.

Couldn't agree more. The AI has taken exponential leaps from what it once was. Though I still miss having at least a rare all-out "zerg rush", in general the AI rocks. GJ has done a fantastic job, especially when inundated with endless conflicting feedback. So, HUZZAH! :cool:

Kevin, you're hijacking this thread. It's about the AI, not the utility of assault rifles

Thanks guys; it means a lot :)

For the modders; almost every aspect of the AI can be adjusted to better fit behavior you want through the weights in AIProps.xml. I've primarily spent time in fixing bugs and adding in new behavior, so there is still a lot to be gained in tweaking those weights.

Once the deadline of the release is over, I'll try to get some blog posts up explaining everything. (If I manage to find the time :D)

Thanks guys; it means a lot :)

For the modders; almost every aspect of the AI can be adjusted to better fit behavior you want through the weights in AIProps.xml. I've primarily spent time in fixing bugs and adding in new behavior, so there is still a lot to be gained in tweaking those weights.

Once the deadline of the release is over, I'll try to get some blog posts up explaining everything. (If I manage to find the time :D)

Awesome, that would be very appreciated!