Ground Combat Balance - V22 Experimental 9

Making them retreat into ufo or command room, or come together with their own men when morale is low could work maybe if you really want alien morale effects. Panic behaviour like xenonauts would probably be not desired at all.

We're not putting alien morale events in. It's probably not too much work (they already have morale, but don't have panic events etc) but it'd likely have balance implications that we don't have time to work through prior to release. Too big a change to make at such short notice.

Wooo, broken promises.

I understand chris, and honestly I would have liked to see alien morale in the game, but it's not a big deal to me if it is not. Just be aware that you did say it would be in the game and you might have more than a few upset people over it.

In the future just be very careful what you promise to your players.

Edited by legit1337

I'm pretty sure I never said the feature would definitely be in the game, nor actually promised it - I just said we were planning to put it in, but then our plans changed to reflect circumstance.

It's not ideal when it happens, of course, and I'd rather it didn't ever happen. But it's not exactly in the league of a broken promise either.

You are the head of a game development company Chris, if you say its going to be in the game they take that as a promise, regardless if you actually meant it that way or not. Like I said, just be careful about what you say and how you word things in the future.

I would have liked to seen xenonauts patched for a month after release to clean up all the remaining little bugs, but if budget concerns are an issue I can understand why that is not possible. Im looking forward to your next project.

Oh yeah, I can't wait to see harridans using higher ground! I've always felt that the underutilized multi-elevation combat theater was a disappointment. In my 350+ hours of playing the game I've never seen an alien above ground level. I've thereby had no incentive to check the upper floors of buildings and little reason to build jumpsuits. I'd LOVE to see harridans sniping from rooftops. It'll add a whole new dimension to the game. And make harridans a legitimate threat; I mean, they're ok now, but just ok. I'd even boost their sight range and accuracy still more to make them something truly to be feared

I would just have liked to see alien morale tied to psi powers.

As the leader becomes less mentally focused delicate powers like mind control become harder while it becomes easier to use things like fear as he just dumps his own growing panic into one of your soldiers heads.

It's probably not too much work (they already have morale, but don't have panic events etc) but it'd likely have balance implications that we don't have time to work through prior to release.

If it's already mostly implemented but balance is the primary concern, is there any chance it could make it into the game as a hidden feature that can only be enabled through config files?

They will at least have sight range 18 in the build tomorrow, rather than their previous 20. Being shot at by a 70 Accuracy alien from two tiles beyond sight range was not fun at all.

Yes, but that's assuming a situation where you do not close within sight range first. And I love the idea of how much the tension would be ratcheted up when your squad is pinned down by a sniper and has to flush him out

By the way, is there any plan to change the map reveal system for Terror mission that it's number of surviving aliens dependent (3 or less?), or at least extend the number of turn required? I like how it works on base mission but it still feels bit iffy for terror and I think some others also agrees.

I've not really done many terror missions since that change went out, but it feels a little on the early side for me. (Although as I said previously, I'm not sure that I'm bothered with it in any case, so might be biased here!). So maybe push it back to 15 turns?