Geoscape Balance Discussion V20 Stable Candidate 1

Aaron

@aaron

I agree that the beginning of the game is supposed to feel a little desperate, but come on, half of your funding for a bloc gone in one month? From 80 people killed, really? If governments were that skittish in real life they would surrender unconditionally every time a terrorist sneezed within 300 kilometers of their borders.

I think your changes of the initial wave being smaller will help with this though, I will have to playtest it to be sure so I'm reserving judgment. Happy holidays to you boys at Goldhawk. As always keep up the good work.

While this is a cosmetic issue, I think the casualty numbers in the geoscape should be increased significantly. A big region gets battered by aliens and still experiences less than 100 casualties per month. That's much less than traffic accidents. An alien invasion should feel very threatening, with regions without active Xenonaut protection losing thousands of people per month.

While this is a cosmetic issue, I think the casualty numbers in the geoscape should be increased significantly. A big region gets battered by aliens and still experiences less than 100 casualties per month. That's much less than traffic accidents. An alien invasion should feel very threatening, with regions without active Xenonaut protection losing thousands of people per month.

After a few months I see casualties in the tens of thousands in regions I am succesfully protecting!

I've only seen that kind of numbers if you fail a terror site.

A failed terror site gives me an extra 40k casualties in wherever it was. Big number in early months when total casualties is around 3000-4000 a month. Not in mid 1980 when I gain funding with 100k casualties in the month.

I'm starting to get a little frustrated with the stable candidate.

I've restarted the game three times now. I've put my base in central united states and every game I've gone a complete month without seeing a single UFO on my radar on all three games.

I'm starting to think you should actually put MORE UFOs in the first wave and bring down the chances for geoscape "events" to balance it.

Yes definitely.....

I've played some more, and now I'm sure of it. There needs to be MORE UFOs with LESS chance of events IMO. You get an unlucky string of UFOs flying over other territories besides the one you put your base in and it can ruin your game.

Economy feels much better though. Definitely feeling the stress early game but it isn't unmanageable.

I'm liking the wave system but there should be some sort of system where UFOs occasionally show up randomly in between waves IMO.

You get an unlucky string of UFOs flying over other territories besides the one you put your base in and it can ruin your game.

Are you referring to the impact those UFO's have on your national standings due to your inability to stop their missions? If so, then wouldn't more UFO's make that even worse?

Or, are you referring to a player getting unlucky and not having access to crash sites due to a lack of interceptable UFOs? If so, then isn't that why two crash sites are generated regardless of player action in the first month?

Or, are you referring to a player getting unlucky and not having access to crash sites due to a lack of interceptable UFOs? If so, then isn't that why two crash sites are generated regardless of player action in the first month?

That's supposed to be removed on higher difficulties.

Are you referring to the impact those UFO's have on your national standings due to your inability to stop their missions? If so, then wouldn't more UFO's make that even worse?

I'm saying, there needs to be more UFO's and the chance of "events" happening from those UFOs (and thus decrease in funding) needs to be decreased in order to balance that out.

• 2 weeks later...

It was faster even in v19 I think. Now I find it a bit annoying when the Chinook takes around 4 hours to get to a crash site which is basically next to my base. Terror sites on other continents are reachable but with more than 24 hours of flight time!

I'd rather have the chopper be a bit faster, but fuel-limited such that it can't handle multiple sites on different continents. So say with my base in Egypt, it should not be able to first take a terror site in Brazil and then also handle a crash site in USA before going home.

Egypt-Guinea flight time is at about 6 hours now. I think that is too slow.

For Chinook range, I'd prefer it if a trip halfway around the world (from a base to the most distant point from it) took 48% of fuel. That leaves the Chinook with worldwide range and the ability to very briefly enter a patrol state while on the way to a distant mission, but forces a return to base after such a distant mission.

Actually it's closer to 8 for Egypt-Guinea.

One more reason to speed Chinooks up a bit would be catching landed UFOs. If you spot a landed UFO, it's now impossible to assault it while grounded even if you launch immediately, unless it's pretty much next to your base.

This makes me wonder what the complications would be with basing the speed of the Chinooks off the distance to the staging area such that short flights happen relatively quickly but use a lot of fuel (higher speed burns more fuel, say) and longer flights are slower but use relatively less fuel. Probably more trouble than I'm thinking it would be.

TBH, I think the Chinook was faster in v18. I remember Thothkins talking about chaining crash sites together. It may have been slowed down, as I do believe a crash site doesn't vanish so quickly if you lock on it with a dropship.

Sites (including terror missions) don't despawn at all while a transport is enroute.

I'm back in the office now. A few answers to some of the questions I've seen throughout the thread:

I would like to put in a system to show the status of interceptors on the map, rather than forcing the player to faff about with the launch screen - here is a little mockup I did some time ago, should be fairly self-explanatory. Also a popup telling you aircraft are ready with a time freeze might be useful, yeah.

interceptor_status.jpg

Also landed missions aren't really working very well right now - it is quite hard to get them, because of Chinook speed etc... but we now have some control over how long missions stay landed, so I will look into tweaking that. I feel like there should be a pretty big reward in terms of Alenium/Alloys for catching a UFO on the ground, compared to a crash site - right now it is double-ish, but I'm thinking even more than that.