3D Enviornment rotation and see through walls.

It is necessary because sometimes you forget that alien is there cause you didn't kill him. There are many reasons to get a different perspective on the terrain. Tactically I want to know where that door is and not stumble upon it with my cursor. Btw, along the same lines, how do I view an upper level floor and go up the stairs?

Not sure about see-through walls, is it really necessary? If you spot an alien you're always notified so you won't be surprised due to visual obstruction.

Either see-through walls or an icon floating on top of the walls is a necessity in my mind. If enemies are visible to my units they need to be clearly visible to me, as the player. Enemies being hidden from the player behind terrain is a problem that a lot of 2D isometric tactics had back in their heyday but that's no excuse as it was annoying then too.

I fully agree with Garlic. I think an outline of the enemy would be pretty simple to add, but a cut out of the walls would be nicest. Maybe even something like Fallout had for the PCs. Hmm, Fallout is also a great example of the outline technique.

I haven't yet played the alpha but from what I see in this screenshot there is wall transparency to reveal the obscured areas and red alien icons pointing to spotted aliens. I don't see what the problem is.

True, but it is unclear at certain angles. The shotgun trooper in the top room would be far harder to see if he were directly adjacent to the wall below him. It's also partially a clicking issue: the transparency makes it difficult to see which square you're highlighting when mouse-selecting a trooper close to a wall that obscures view. The same selection-flicker sometimes occurs during targeting too, in my (fairly limited) experience.

Can't say I have any suggestions beyond highlighting the selected square better, or maybe more fade on the obscuring wall but even that's not terribly helpful and I don't know if it would do any good. But that one bit of the controls is still fuzzy at the moment, in a way the rest of the combat controls aren't. :)

I'm beeing silly because i can and im sleepdepraved but I think we should remove the visual cue! since we can't send out sent information through computers yet we will have to forgoe that part of the suggestion and instead make due with 1 of the 2 (3?) remaining senses. Herring! no wait that's a fish. I meant hearing. What about a audiable que when mousing over (or selecting) a soldier (and another one for enemies). make the theme music change a bit or a great big PLOING! that can be heard by your neighbours even at the lowest sound volume.

I'm not even sure myself if there is any serious suggestion in there :cool:

PS. The only problem would be for the deaf guy that joined this forum recently. Can't recall who it was though DS.

I normally play with my sounds off or very low as my gf is hard of hearing and loud game sounds mean she would need to have whatever she is doing tuned up to 11 so she could focus on it.

An audio cue as the only way would not work for me.

It wouldn't be a bad idea though.

I altered the existing cursor to have a circle below AND above the tile when selected on a previous build.

This worked really well to let you see when you were in the right place.

The only down side was that I had not worked out if it was possible to have a cursor made up of two separate images.

That meant both the top and bottom images had to be in front OR behind the unit you were selecting.

When I finish reinstalling on my new hard drive I will be trying again.

Gauddlike: get some headphones! :P

PS. on the crusor issue: I vote for behind so that you can see alien silluettes against it when the aliens are in total darkness but still visible by the soldiers (I know its not implimented like that yet but im crossing my fingers) DS.

Edited by Gorlom

I also find that there is several visibility issues with the game.

Getting behind doors without opening it need some help.

Overall there seems to be a problem with having your characters behind walls or object. Is there a way to implement transparency for object in front of you soldiers.

Outlining Aliens is a great idea. X-Com had flashy aliens colors on a sand/grey environment. I see you went that way too but it's not enough.