Combat GUI Update V2

Chris

Cris have you given any though on changeing the order of the bars? I just think that the AP bars status would be easier to spot at a glance if it wasn't sandwitched between the other 2 bars. The player would have greater overview of which soldier can still do something then. (Just a low priority opinion)

I always thought you'd need 2 hands to use a medkit fully anyways. Hard to tie off a bandage with only one hand etc.

Reality? Piffle!

The important question is whether it's fun and rewarding gameplay to manually

- enter inventory

- pick up the rifle

- put it on the ground

- take the medkit from the backpack

- put it into the hand slot

- exit inventory

- use the medkit

- select the target

- enter inventory

- take the medkit from the hand slot

- put it into the backpack

- pick up the rifle

- put it in the hand slot

- exit inventory

If it worked like a grenade this would look more like

- quickuse

- medkit

- this target

I know which way I would prefer. =P

I would prefer it too, I'm just saying that if we do too much streamlining, what's the point of the inventory screen?

Perhaps we could implement it the way you and others have suggested, but the thing is unlike grenades you would want it to stay in your hands (as you might be using it more than once depending on the wound), so do you get penalised extra points every time you use it? Or just the first time and then it stays in your hands? But then you need to open the inventory to re-equip your gun again...

I would prefer it too, I'm just saying that if we do too much streamlining, what's the point of the inventory screen?

This is what I'm thinking too. I like fiddling with inventory. We wouldn't want the game to be "streamlined for consoles" now do we? Actually using a medkit, or medic backpack, is very fiddly work! :)

There is the kind of hard that requires you to take risks and make proactive yet prudent decisions. This is a challenge.

There is the other kind of hard that requires you to labour and toil a lot to get something done or maybe even to just keep in place. This is tedium.

Absolutely agree with Gazz and Myth on this one. The challenge should come from things like the alien AI, their superior technology, and the race against the alien progress ticker. Ballooning a 3-click task into a 13-click task isn't challenging or interesting, it's just a pain in the ass.

As for the AP tax that you pay for multiple uses, maybe we can rig it so that multiple consecutive uses don't incur the fetch and stow costs.

At the moment there's no plans to expand the quickthrow icon to medikits but I suppose it is possible.

It's just the medikit icon isn't really a very good shape to fit in the slot.

Why does the item have to fit inside the UI?

I imagine the one grenade slot on the UI.

If I left-click-hold it, a vertical list of applicable items is displayed for selection.

Big items like the medkit are no problem at all if you have the entire screen height to work with.

So I can stand on the dead alien I never saw before and see what kind he is, oh and use his equipment too!

Why does the item have to fit inside the UI?

I imagine the one grenade slot on the UI.

If I left-click-hold it, a vertical list of applicable items is displayed for selection.

Big items like the medkit are no problem at all if you have the entire screen height to work with.

Exactly, and if you want it to fit in there, make a Generic Red Cross / Medic Logo to represent the Medkit. (which leads to another question, will Hover-over be available on the gui? One that can be enabled or disabled as a user option?)

Edited by nutbarz

Reality? Piffle!

The important question is whether it's fun and rewarding gameplay to manually

- enter inventory

- pick up the rifle

- put it on the ground

- exit inventory

- use the medkit

- select the target

- enter inventory

- take the medkit from the hand slot

- put it into the backpack

- pick up the rifle

- exit inventory

If it worked like a grenade this would look more like

- quickuse

- medkit

- this target

I know which way I would prefer. =P

How about instead of dropping rifle on the ground just switch medkit and rifleby draging the medkit to the hands while the rifle is still there?If you are that concerned about the number of clicks you just reduced that chain by 4 steps.

I kinda already included those AD.

-pick up the rifle, is followed by

-drop it on the medkit

thusly replaceing

- put it on the ground

so thats + 1 -3 in the first switch

and - put it into the backpack

- pick up the rifle

is replaced by

- drop it on the rifle.

so 4 was a total.

PS. BTW it dosent feel that long ingame since perfoming an action breaks the feeling of doing a long tedious chain.

A quickslot would imo kinda diminish the use of a medikit. It would sap a bit of the tension and the thrill... even if you put on a rather large AP penalty to use the quickslot. DS.

Good lord I need get back to my studies.

1. Make dead units stay, just replace with skull icon.

2. Put the end turn button in the bottom right corner.

3. Add rank next to number if there is room.

4. Change the reserve to show only the selected reserve. Clicking on the selected reserve brings up only the reserve modes that weapon/item can use. Selecting one sets the reserve icon and closes the popup.

Ok, here is hopefully the last of my scatter brained posts for this evening.

Reserve Selected

v3a-1.jpg

Selecting Reserve

v3a-2.jpg

v3a-1.jpg

v3a-2.jpg

v3a-1.jpg.52ea9c1e0f13fac320da8a6cfb3c56

v3a-2.jpg.3681cbc1f980d0d4d9e5779b321434

I think the GUI proposed by Chris is already quite fine, but improvement is not excluded.

I like it much that it doesn't fit the whole lower screen like the one in X-COM did. It looks more modern and it feels a bit like a HUD. I feel more involved in the action like being part of the squad.

I would also appreciate the need of two clicks for the "End Turn" button. Even if it's in the lower right now a missclick can occur. It won't cost much time to double-click. Perhaps let the button change colour to make it look enlightened after the first click.

Sry for bad english.

Good lord I need get back to my studies.

1. Make dead units stay, just replace with skull icon.

2. Put the end turn button in the bottom right corner.

3. Add rank next to number if there is room.

4. Change the reserve to show only the selected reserve. Clicking on the selected reserve brings up only the reserve modes that weapon/item can use. Selecting one sets the reserve icon and closes the popup.

Ok, here is hopefully the last of my scatter brained posts for this evening.

Reserve Selected

[ATTACH=CONFIG]462[/ATTACH]

Selecting Reserve

[ATTACH=CONFIG]463[/ATTACH]

Sucks, though, is complete sucks. I'll be disappointed if Chris did not implement its own interface is :(

Edited by resonansER

resonansER would you mind chilling a bit? You can say that you dont like it but saying that it sucks is uncalled for.

As far as I've noticed you seem to think that anything Chris does is golden and anyone that comes with suggestions is the son of the devil for wanting to change what Chris does. Have you made a single positive comment on a suggestion that isn't Chris?