Back from the dead! Explaination please?

Markon

I had a soldier whom I was sure was dead, I could have sworn he was listed as KIA. When I got to the mission screen, I had a -2 points on my score for 2 Xenonauts casualties. However, when I went to the soldier development screen, I believe it said "soldier recovered" over his head, he was at 2 % HP, and promoted, given the medal for suffering a grievous wound in the service of humanity, etc, etc. it was AWESOME!

Does anyone know how likely this is? Or was he never dead to begin with, just stunned? Also, if he was stunned, how? This was literally my first mission on a new play-through with the new patch, and he wasn't hit by any flashbangs or anything like that.

(the other casualty was just dead, poor guy, but nothing surprising there)

Yeah, soldiers can survive "death". It's a low chance and it's further reduced the further the soldier's HP was reduced below 0 (at -10 HP it falls to 0% survival change).

It's been in the game for a while but I think we only recently added the "soldier recovered" notification to the screen. They were previously listed as KIA but then just reappeared in your troop rosters at 1% health.

In my mind listing them as casualties is fine too, Gorlom, because a casualty doesn't necessarily imply death.

I was under the impression they are not listed as KIA.

However, when I went to the soldier development screen, I believe it said "soldier recovered" over his head, he was at 2 % HP, and promoted, given the medal for suffering a grievous wound in the service of humanity, etc, etc. it was AWESOME!