Soldier Appearance Issue

First, let me say that this is the most exciting project I've seen in a long time. I am loving the way this game plays, I love the way it makes me feel, I love everything about it, except one thing:

Is is it possible to give the player the option to change the color of the uniforms to something OTHER than powder blue? Black, olive drab, maybe even red, like in Apocalypse? Powder blue? I realise that one of goals of the game is to create in the player a sense of harried desperation, but honestly: are the forces of humanity so harried and desperate that we didn't have time to change out of our pyjamas? I don't mean to hurt the feelings of the person who decided on this color, it's just that whenever I see the uniforms, I think about either pyjamas or '70s-era leisure suits.

On reflection, I realise that the choice of color might be meant to mirror the blue worn by UN troops, but even in that case, only the headgear, and very occasionally body armor, not the entire uniform, is blue.

If someone's already addressed this with a mod, kindly point me to the thread and shut this one down.

Edited by Dr. Evil

I'll post this again. I put my first post in a powder blue font and can't seem to see it now.

In earlier builds you started with the jackal armour, so it wasn't quite as odd going into battle with the coveralls. There's a significant amount of sprite work to change the colours.

Yeah, it is a bit odd to use powder blue in a combat situation. Not exactly camo is it?

Camo for where? These guys fight all over the world. In urban and snow environments the current color would work better than green/black/red. Forests? Well there aren't really forests in this game. Green camo might work for farms but only some parts. And then there's deserts...

Tan, khaki, or camouflage incorporating these colors. Camouflage is a fairly moot point in most urban environments, but browns perform acceptably in these environments, as well as most others, including those with a prevalence of greens; it's disruptive without being overtly eye-catching, and can temporarily stain easily with the application of grass, peat, and dirt rubbings. That said, part of the idea of the OP seems less outright camouflage and something less ridiculous as it pertains to a uniform color. OD green is hard to beat in this respect as well, especially in more temperate locations. It's hard to say which one edges out, but if you're looking at solid colors, khaki broiwn and OD green are both good frontrunners.

A solid khaki pattern may not be camouflage, but it's not as immediately obvious to someone who's surveying the battlefield as someone traipsing around in a bright powder-blue uniform. The whole "UN" thing doesn't really apply here, either, as these guys aren't on overt display for civilians, and wouldn't be trying to make themselves obvious targets.

im think it would be a little better if we could change the color or the uniform of the soldiers cuz seriously every time im see the soldiers all im can think is "do we are so fu**** that the only thing we have to fight is a squad of janitors" :(

Edited by Yammi Okami

It's not possible to change the colours, I'm afraid. There's a lot of sprites and art so it's too big a job to do. If we'd been more sensible at the start then maybe we could have used a more flexible system, but we can't.

The blue was chosen because it's easy for the player to see, as GizmoGomez points out, as very few natural things are that colour.