Framerate Issues in the Dark

I'm having really bad framerate issues on the Terror mission I'm on right now. It drops from 60 to 1 fps when I'm moving the soldiers. I suspect it has to do with the lighting. I have multiple fires in in the level, so there's a lot of light sources.

Anyone else seen that?

Yes. It was so bad that I reloaded the geoscape save and risk losing the UFO crashsite altogether. I've always noticed an FPS hit at night, it's worse in 19.5 though.

There needs to be a "wait until daybreak" option when a chinook gets to the crashsite, along with "engage" and "abandon mission". It's not really that different from "tail until over land".

There needs to be a "wait until daybreak" option when a chinook gets to the crashsite' date=' along with "engage" and "abandon mission". It's not really that different from "tail until over land".[/quote']

Agreed, that'd be nice.

What would be the trade off? You get to hover over the crash site, avoiding the night, so that's a bonus. What's the balance?

Fuel? That'd be laughable, since the dropships have insane fuel.

Maybe the crashsite has a chance to disappear? That'd seem kinda cheap, though.

The terror mission was nearly unplayable. Thankfully there was only one alien left. Notably, when you reload games, destroyed terrain has a tendency to come back. Which means my guys spawned inside destroyed terrain. Sub-optimal.

Another note, alien bases are not possible with starting gear. I don't even know what those guys were, but they must have 200HP and damage reduction. They've got plasma rifles, so they generally one-shot my guys. I was just seeing what an alien base was like, I was pretty sure it would be impossible to pull off with ballistic weapons. :)

Agreed, that'd be nice.

What would be the trade off? You get to hover over the crash site, avoiding the night, so that's a bonus. What's the balance?

Fuel? That'd be laughable, since the dropships have insane fuel.

Maybe the crashsite has a chance to disappear? That'd seem kinda cheap, though.

I guess I'd go with the crashsite disappearing. At the moment I set the chinook to patrol nearby until it's daytime, so really it'd be a quality of life change.

At the moment, if you are headed for a crash site or terror mission (as in, a dropship actually en route to the site itself) the site won't disappear due to time passing. (possible exploit here, hint hint. haha). So, would this "Wait Until Daylight" option count as a) being en route to the site, thus stopping the vanishing of the site after X hours, or b) just count as patrolling in the same area and auto-engaging once it's daylight?

Ha, I can see this backfiring (and I like it that way) if you were waiting for daylight over a landed UFO. What happens when the UFO takes off right before daylight and destroys your drop ship? haha, perfect balance right there; risk is good.

At the moment, if you are headed for a crash site or terror mission (as in, a dropship actually en route to the site itself) the site won't disappear due to time passing. (possible exploit here, hint hint. haha). So, would this "Wait Until Daylight" option count as a) being en route to the site, thus stopping the vanishing of the site after X hours, or b) just count as patrolling in the same area and auto-engaging once it's daylight?

Ha, I can see this backfiring (and I like it that way) if you were waiting for daylight over a landed UFO. What happens when the UFO takes off right before daylight and destroys your drop ship? haha, perfect balance right there; risk is good.

Dang, I didn't realise that! Hm. I'd say it'd be b). Otherwise no-one at all would do a night-time mission (instead of just the ones using that exploit (; ).

I never send my dropship alone to a landed UFO ever since the time when the UFO took off less than a second before the dropship arrived. Ouch!

Hmm, OK. This isn't affecting me personally, but the combat coder implemented a new lighting algorithm that was more power-intensive a while back and asked me if it raised FPS issues for me. Seems we'll need him to try something else.

Hmm, OK. This isn't affecting me personally, but the combat coder implemented a new lighting algorithm that was more power-intensive a while back and asked me if it raised FPS issues for me. Seems we'll need him to try something else.

My system isn't exactly a slouch and my video card is pretty good. Is the lighting algorithm using any kind of video card support, or is it straight floating point?

Ishantil, did the aliens in the base look like this? Then congrats! You're facing killer deathbots.

Yeah, those are the ones. They were weirdly all in the same room, trying to shoot through the walls. They were actually killing each other because of it. Damn odd.