Heavy/power armour design?

We've always known there'd be power armour in the game. Well not always but for over a year certainly and even so it almost goes without saying because it's an x-com game. The same with the jump jet one. They are basic features of the game just like alien bases for example which technically haven't be revealed (visually) until a few patches ago but we knew they'd be in pretty much as soon as the game was announced.

Spoilerage lies in details like looks, functionality, names, etc. not the fact that there is power armour in the game or that there are interceptors or alien bases...

In any case keeping the lid on things that haven't been officially announced or aren't intentionally functional in the alpha builds would be good etiquette.

I love how people dog pile on me, in order to have constructive discussion on this topic, YOU'VE HAD TO HAVE LOOKED IN THE ASSET FOLDER. Going, "Hurr Derr, use spoiler tags, boyo!" and adding nothing else just reeks of trolling. (Even worse when Mods and the head Dev are doing it.)

But with all that said, the reason it was cut, that being tile restrictions on size, makes sense. Otherwise you just get an oddly shaped and coloured Predator power armor suit. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with concept of the Colossus, if the concern is making it the obvious Zenith of armor design (Which basically all XCOM games besides Apoc suffered from), you could simply make it slower. That would dovetail nicely with the armor degeneration that has been put in, it starts with a much higher protective value then the Predator, but being slower means you'll get caught out longer in a alien's kill zone if you are not careful, where the Predator suited Xenonaut could easily zip back into cover or the Sentinel could jump pack away.

No tornado, it is not. at least it wasn't until you posted on the first page.

spoilertagging isn't that hard. just hit the quote button and replace the word "quote" with "spoiler". it won't block out what you want to say. it will only hide it from the people that doesn't want to be spoiled. those that don't care can click the button and look at the info all the same. It is a courtesy to other forum goers that we are asking you to please consider and adhere to. we aren't really flaming you we just want you to please think of it in the future.

Regardless if you think that one must have looked at the assets to be able to have a discussion about this people might browse threads for other reasons than the topic (I have no idea how many threads that has gotten side tracked on this forum but 'I'm sure its well over 50%) and would in that case appreciate if you would kindly spoilertag things that is not inside the game/officially released by the developer. (when I say inside I mean as possible to come across while playing. not when datamining)

... adding nothing else just reeks of trolling.

What else needs to be added? Do you honestly believe you're being trolled, by Chris no less? There's pretty much only one reason why one might ask to not have something spoiled from them and it's really not something you should be offended by.

The OP even specifically mentioned not looking inside the assets folder to avoid being spoiled which is why GGE's reply was the appropriate one.

Edited by Jean-Luc

Again, two posts that did nothing for the discussion itself and just boiled down to, "Use Spoiler Tags!".

Well, you don't seem to have got the message. Rather, you seem to be accusing people of trolling you by asking you to do so - obviously that's just going to inflame the situation.

The OP in this thread says "I'm wondering what the design of the power armour will be like?" and it's perfectly possible to have a spoiler free discussion based on that topic. The human armour in the game has a heavy industrial design in contrast to the sleeker look of proper alien technology. That would have answered his question and would have been spoiler free for everyone reading the post, and some people might have been looking for that answer.

If you want to post up pics or discuss tech that's not officially in the game, that's fine, just use the spoiler tags. That way people can choose whether they want to click it or not. I don't see what the problem is?

Not bothering to use spoiler tags is basically someone asking "Is the twist at the end of the Sixth Sense good?" and you replying "Yeah, Bruce Willis is a ghost!". It's perfectly possible to ask about the end of the game in general terms without wanting specifics.

Also, in game terms there's no real point having the Colossus and the other end-game heavy armour suit, which has taken on most of the role of the Colossus anyway.

Yes, we could have put the Colossus in anyway - but it'd be similar to putting the AK-47 in alongside the M-16 rifle too. We've not done it because I don't see there being sufficient difference between the two, and going out of our way to create those differences just so we can include both doesn't really seem to be a good course of action.

I will like to see prototypes of the Power Armour and be able to use said prototypes... Let me explain better.

Once you research the power armour you should be able to build basic prototypes of said armour, which are prone to a variety of mechanical issues (I.E: "The servos in the armour are jammed!" and the soldier loses a turn or more.) that will make it very fun... And with more research you are able to build better suits of the same armour and you eliminate the mechanical issues.

Edited by Azazass

Azaaass

Once you research the power armour you should be able to build basic prototypes of said armour, which are prone to a variety of mechanical issues

A modular approach to the armour would have been fun. As Azazass says, you would have your prototype and then be avble to build on it depending on the type you wanted. Each area to be covered - plasma protection, extra speed, flying would be at the cost of something else. Interesting in the same way that modules for aircraft a la Apocalypse would have been interesting too.

Chris

Not bothering to use spoiler tags is basically someone asking "Is the twist at the end of the Sixth Sense good?" and you replying "Yeah, Bruce Willis is a ghost!".

Willis is a what?! You're kidding! Jeez, there's no point in me watching it now. Thanks for the spoiler , man! :)

Spoilers

I didn't know the bit about the Sentinal armour above. Use the tags!

Not so sure about the prototype thing but I do like the idea of a possibility for the power armour to break down during combat. Something like a "jammed/damaged servo" which immobilizes or slows down your guy for that turn or increases the AP requirement for weapon use (damaged arm). Could be caused by weapons fire with temporary effects of course (or not?). Power armour can be almost like a small mech where one "drives/pilots" it rather than wears it and it has a lot of mechanical parts depending on design of course.

The Colossus looked like that type of armour. Though this all falls under feature bloat/creep probably.

So, one question, what other 2 armors are remaining?

I will miss the big armor though, it looked really fun to use it. Although granted, it did look like it'd be hard to make move in game and with sprites. I was looking forward to being a walking tank and I say that because it looks like it takes more to make then the hunter or even that actual tank in the files. (I say that beacuse I know you already scraped it.) I was also looking forward to using that actual tank although, I think I just wanted to use the cannon most of all.

I love how people dog pile on me, in order to have constructive discussion on this topic, YOU'VE HAD TO HAVE LOOKED IN THE ASSET FOLDER. Going, "Hurr Derr, use spoiler tags, boyo!" and adding nothing else just reeks of trolling. (Even worse when Mods and the head Dev are doing it.)

I am assuming you are aiming the trolling accusation at me which suggests you didn't actually read my post.

I don't feel that the armour you mentioned was a great loss to the game, and can't technically be classed as a loss anyway as it was never present past the concept stage.

As you seem to want to attribute a standing on spoiler tags to me, even though I did not comment, I will give my own opinion.

I agree that they should be used when discussing content that is not yet available in a playable form as it is polite to those who don't delve into the files and it is the method I use when doing so.

I generally consider myself to be pretty hardcore about spoilers. I'm the kind of guy who might hate you forever for spoiling things that are revealed in every advertisement for a game or movie. Honestly though, context is important. If you come into a thread about what power armor is in the game and what it looks like, can you seriously expect that there WON'T be information revealed about what power armor is in the game and what it looks like? It is hypothetically possible for the thread to exist and not have spoilers, but anyone that reads the thread should do so under the assumption that, obviously, there probably will be. To do otherwise is just not a realistic expectation. It's like complaining about people failing to use spoiler tags in a thread titled, "I don't understand the ending." Anyone concerned about spoilers should look at the title and think, "Yeah, I'd better stay away from that one."

And on the topic of spoiling the endings of movies: A great, big, giant "BOOOOOOOO!" to anyone who drops a megalithic, movie-ruining spoiler while speaking of the importance of hiding spoilers. If you're going to give an example of a terrible spoiler, for the love of Xenu, put a spoiler tag on it! I'm looking at you, Chris, and I'm doing it all squinty-eyed and sour-faced.

At Chris, I've about everything from the game files but all of the armors look so good, I couldn't tell which ones were the end game armor besides the colussos. I can now easily tell though from the names dropped from he who shall not be named.

P.S. Can't wait to see the xenopedia entries (and pics) for them-well actually, everything.