[V12] Error in weapons_gc.xml file

The light drone blaster weapon is missing a terminating '/' tag for one of its lines (burst fire I believe, but I saved the change before writing it down). After making this fix I have not encountered some of the errors that others are having. My guess is that the messed up tag was preventing the weapons that follow it from loading for the ground combat.

Will test when I get home. What values did you use for burstfire AP and Accuracy?

I replaced the BurstFire line with this:

<BurstFire ap="32" accuracy="55" sound="Weapon Alien Plasma" delay="0.8" shotCount="5" suppressionValue="50" suppressionRadius="4"/>

I set the values of AP and accuracy to that of the machinegun. Since I was updating my editor I didn't have a chance to play too much but in the three battles I fought since then I did not have a problem. However, I have not been using a lot of the high suppression causing weapons (like the machinegun).

Edited by Quartermaster

Thanks for the fix - good find. I'll try it out tonight.

Note - everyone who wants try this fix should make a backup copy before they change the file, and test the game under each one - that way we may be able to determine which specific bugs are linked to this particular file error.

My burst fire line looks similar to others in the weapons file. Can you post up your code?

I'm doing this backwards at this point, but the burstfire line for the light drone blaster looked something like this:

<BurstFire sound="Weapon Alien Plasma" delay="0.8" shotCount="5" suppressionValue="50" suppressionRadius="4">

It looks like the developer copied and pasted the old SingleFire line (the old fire mode for the weapon), and forgot to add AP, accuracy, and the slash to close the section.

Edited by Quartermaster

"Responsible players don't let their aliens get suppressed before dying. Suppressed Alien Death Syndrome. Together, we can beat it."

Symptoms of Suppression include:

- Cowering and Crouching

- Being labeled with a Superman "S"

- Wanting to "End the GAME"

In extreme cases, CTD has been reported.

Ask your local Xenonaut about Suppression.

I replaced the BurstFire line with this:

<BurstFire ap="32" accuracy="55" sound="Weapon Alien Plasma" delay="0.8" shotCount="5" suppressionValue="50" suppressionRadius="4"/>

After some more playing, it seems that this fix only works after starting a completely new game after completely closing out of the Xenonauts program. It did not work for old saves, or for new games started in the same session of playing 'corrupted' saves.

Great find Quartermaster. For everyone who hasn't made the change yet, here are the full steps for doing so.

1. Make these changes with Xenonauts closed. Quitting Desura couldn't hurt either, just in case.

2. The file you want to change is weapons_gc.xml. In the Desura install on my box, it's located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Desura\Common\xenonauts\assets

3. The line you want to change is line number 585 (you can also search for 'lightdroneblaster'). This is the line to change:

<BurstFire sound="Weapon Alien Plasma" delay="0.8" shotCount="5" suppressionValue="50" suppressionRadius="4">

4. Change the line to this instead:

5. Save the file.

6. Start up Xenonauts. Your saves from your older games are still corrupt - do not load them (you can probably overwrite them).

7. Start a new game and enjoy. You should encounter fewer Crash to Desktop bugs.

Thanks for fix. Also I don't know if it matters but above that line it had <Singleshot /> so I changed it to </Singleshot> which is how the rest of the XML is terminating the lines. Perhaps doesn't matter.

Depends on how the tag is used.

If it's "<Singleshot> other text" then it needs to be terminated like normal HTML ie: <Singleshot> other text </Singleshot>.

However if it's simply a single string like "<Singleshot arguments="bah">" then you can just self terminate it ie: <Singleshot arguements="blah" /> as XML/XHTML allows that.

yeah, i put it back the way it was. Still I get crashes sometimes when shooting aliens. I need to be ultra careful but even then it crashes sometimes. Very odd bug, shame there isn't a crashdump txt file for this game that was very detailed on what made it crash. Probably just a code Hick-up

Weapon.Laserpistol happens to be missing it's <BurstFire/> tag.

I know Chris removed burst fire from the laser pistol as it wasn't meant to be there, but all the others that don't have a burst fire still contain the empty tag.

Also:

@PRiME:

Yes, looking at it, it should be <Singleshot/> as there's no other single shot tag for it.

Edited by Buzzles