It's really great todays attention to x-com sphere

I read that the lead dev lost around 22 troops going through the game. Since I imagine that he was trying to emphasise the lethality

of it the normal figure would probably be under 20.

X-Com players sacrifice 20 rookies just to get promotions for a few others. That's a difference :)

It would be a little funny if the game really was quite lethal and you lost a few missions due to the smaller squad size.

Edited by thothkins

sweracon. i meant that they added RPG elements. If you consider the stats and the stat increases rpg elements the I guess I should say increased RPG elements.

Oh, my bad. And there is a subject what could debate until the end of time. What is and what isn't RPG elements? But let's not go there, I consider stats and stat increases a part of an RPG, as I do gaining abilites and the like. Doesn't make it an RPG, of course :P

Jean-Luc has the right of it, in my book. They could have gone with 6-8, then I'd have no gripe with it.

I liked having the option to take lots of soldiers. Managing 20 men was never an issue since I'd just replace some with HWP's. That would leave me with a couple tanks and a dozen grunts to manage. On smaller missions I'd just leave some of them behind to watch the flanks and go forward with about 8 or so.

losing 22 soldiers in one game is pretty low. Either the new X-Com is very, very short or most missions won't have any losses at all. In my last game of UFO: ET I was losing 1-3 soldiers a mission (I was save-scumming too because there were serious balance issues regarding accuracy and LOS) when I first encountered destroyers and sentinels. It got so bad I had to do a lot of recruiting to provide meat shields to take the hits so my dwindling team of veterans wouldn't all be killed.

I agree that 12 was just about right for me. That plus at least 1 tank.

Edited by Akavit

Only need two, one to fly the ship and one to upload the virus.

bah! beaten to that one.

12 for the larger missions and 8 for most of the others was reasonable, with a few scary moments.

Good point made about the whole base being geared up to put 6 folks in the field. Sure, there are all the other troops there as back up or squad rotation. But you'd think somebody in the support staff would mention what the hades they're all doing.

You can't be an officer and not play pool, common sense dictates this.

As for squads, I usually run between 8-10 (most often 8), and I think it works neat for me. There's always a few rookies to send on ahead, and anything above 10 really leaves me wondering where to put everybody.

• 1 month later...