[V 9.3 - Windowed Mode not working]

Unsure when this feature was first implemented and unsure if its been reported before but I did a search on the whole forum and couldn't see that anyone has yet reported it.

First I'd like to say I have two monitors connected to one video card and usually have my web browser in one monitor and whatever games in the other, so if games allow for "Windowed Mode" then I can always move my cursor back and forth between monitors and games remain open. I noticed in Xenonauts the option on the initial game launcher for "Windowed Mode" but if I select it then launch the game then the game is not windowed because of a few reasons. First is it won't allow my cursor to move outside the game screen and there's no way for me to make it happen. So if I alt-tab then if the game was Windowed then it would remain open while I activated another window but Xenonauts automatically minimizes upon my alt-tab and I can't figure out how to make it remain open by me accessing any other window.

Not a big deal but just letting you know.

Thank you both for the replies. I forgot to mention in my OP that I do run the game in 1600x900 so I'll try to run in a lower resolution and see if I can get Windowed Mode to work. Would be just for the sake of experimenting though as I'd prefer to run in 1600x900 but good to see you both agree with me cause this confirms what I posted as a real problem and not just something on my end.

Thanks again.

Running old 1280x1024 monitor. The game in full screen has messed texts and sliders (especially personnel hire/fire screen). When using windowed mode for anything non 4:3 the game looks much better, but it is not windowed and 'thinned' if you know what i mean.

Oooh thanks for the update Matthew - streaming this game will be easier if there is a fully functioning windowed option.

@Okim: The new splash screen recommends using a 16:10 or 16:9 screen format and not 4:3 because 4:3 hasn't been fully formatted yet or something along those lines.

streaming is not the issue. I've got a pretty fragile dual head set-up and Fullscreen Mode simply does not work. I bought the game in the first week it was possible to buy and have not been able to play it once since then because of the missing windowed mode.

I know you allready got my money and there is no reason for any of you guys to care what I think or whether I will ever be able to play. And when this bug was reported in November '11 nobody cared back then.

It was a known bug back then as well.

The majority of people find fullscreen to be an adequate alternative while testing.

I almost always play in windowed mode to free up my second monitor for other tasks.

Chris has said quite a few times in various places that the startup resolution options are pulled from your graphics part by the game engine they are using and have been tricky to get working properly.

He has also said that they are working on removing that and doing it another way but that it is time consuming and not top priority at this stage of the alpha.

I personally have every confidence that I will be able to play in any mode I want to during the beta and certainly by release.

For most people this is an annoyance rather than a complete show stopper.

Sorry to hear that you are having such problems with it :S

Is there no way that you can switch to a single card just for testing purposes?

It may not be ideal but this is still an early, non feature complete, alpha.

I'm not sure this is a bug we're ever going to be able to fix. It's a problem with the engine rather than anything we control, so unless we can find a workaround there's nowt we can do about it. We'll check later.

In the meantime, you can play in a windowed mode that is smaller than your actual monitor resolution - or you should be able to.

Maweki, if it turns out we can't fix it, email me and I'll set you up with a refund.

• 4 months later...

Windowed mode doesn't work on my workstation, I really would like to have it working, as long as I use the standalone version on the Desura website I can run Xenonauts from a USB Stick, but fullscreen doesn't with the dual monitor setup of the workstation.

I don't want to b**** about it, but if it's possible to be fixed could you do it after the Beta launch?

I use dual monitors and it works fine for me.

My native resolution is 1680x1050 and windowed runs at 1600x900.

Maybe it is a problem related to the hardware as Xenonauts takes its available resolution lists direct from the graphics driver?

If the game engine is struggling with that specific hardware or driver there isn't anything Goldhawk can do about it.

The game engine does not belong to them and they have no access rights to be able to alter it.

FWIW:

I run 1024 x 768 on my system, which runs 1080P resolution normally. I've not had any issues with it working, though I'm running a much later build (14.1)

So am I, I was trying to run the Desura standalone package available from the website, not the one from the Desura folder on the PC.

They are essentially the same.

You only use Desura to download and update it.

Once it is done you can run it from the install folder without needing to run Desura.

What graphics card and driver version are you using on the comp that won't run in windowed mode.

Maybe anyone else who is having the same problem can compare and see if there is a common theme.

I use dual monitors and it works fine for me.

My native resolution is 1680x1050 and windowed runs at 1600x900.

Maybe it is a problem related to the hardware as Xenonauts takes its available resolution lists direct from the graphics driver?

If the game engine is struggling with that specific hardware or driver there isn't anything Goldhawk can do about it.

The game engine does not belong to them and they have no access rights to be able to alter it

What's the game engine that Goldhawk is using?

I may have played other games with the same engine and that would help to find another way to look at it ;)

They are essentially the same.

You only use Desura to download and update it.

Once it is done you can run it from the install folder without needing to run Desura.

What graphics card and driver version are you using on the comp that won't run in windowed mode.

Maybe anyone else who is having the same problem can compare and see if there is a common theme.

For this purpose yes, they are the same. However, Desura isn't updating Xenonauts to V14.11, I still have the strength bug, could Chris update the Premium files on the Desura website?

For this purpose yes, they are the same. However, Desura isn't updating Xenonauts to V14.11, I still have the strength bug, could Chris update the Premium files on the Desura website?

We're getting out of topic, but I just wanted to point out that the strength bug was not completely fixed in v14.11, so Dresura is currently up-to-date, it's the game that still has (had, corrected yesterday and will be patched in v15) that bug.