(Mod Update) XNT Into Darkness V6.0 - "Hellgate" (DISCUSSION THREAD)

TacticalDragon

@theothersider

at the end of November you have to be eqipped with some advanced weaponry, this is your main problem I guess. Laser rifles or an anti-matter Sentelin can do fine against the Delta viper (big light-colored one), C4 is also good.

can't advice smth specific against an Omega viper, a dark purple big one that spits poison... I had plasma weaponry when encountered and killed it in several turns shooting from the distance[/quote

i'm discovering laser weapons..have 20 scientists (sorry i was in oct end..), the sqad was armed wit advanced shotguns,flamers,zephir and some more normal things, this is my first attempt with the new mod and i'm testing some new approach..i have few founds since the beginning, now i'm equipping a base with the sole purpose of manifacture jackal suit and equipment to sell and earn some more cash, it is a relatively long process but even with delay i will continue the playtrought:rolleyes:

no fear, i will recover the lost time i hope..

Apart from that, did you modders read the poisonous viper shapeshifting issue post? Any hint for that? It is a bug or bad installation? Several ppl have had the same problem in Hellfire.QUOTE

it's happened to me onece...the being was surrounded in fire and smoke, after a big blast of C4 the viper"shapeshifted" into a ceasan soldier and throwed three acid granades(during the end turn/hidden movement and for the full next turn) at the next hidden movementit "returned "to the original shape..for me is a bug..the mod was downloaded and installed without any problem, i have found some other problems, invisible alien eggs, apollo scout aircraft present into the hangar but invisible and not usable(even un-decommissionable)i think a bug..(happened on my brother's gameplay i've never build any apollo,i find them a waste of time/money)

Other thing, i just realiced 'm' key is for melee attack, altough it doesnt really deal much damage. Don't you think it would be interesting to add some melee weapon addons (bayoneta for instance) at a cost of more weight of course, to deal in extreme close combat situations?

this will be good idea for me..with some instances anyway..at he beginning i find ridiculous attacking an alien invader with a regular bayonet:D when a close rage shotgun will do little.. in a more advanced stage(after discovering alien alloy fabbrication or laser/plasma tech)a superheated plasma blade(dagger or better a sword) or a alien alloy chainsaw capable of cutting an andron armor like a hot knife into the butter would be interesting..it this mod where even the ceasan non-combattant fire a lot and easily kill unarmoured soldier close combat is rare and always suicidal..but if managed well the idea is interesting..

p.s i have played the old EU and TFD and the "Drill" to kill the lobster like alien were very cool!

I want to suggest something: Add drones as an attack force.

You know those large tank drones, small hovering drones and the medium drones?

Make some UFOs contain a force composed of only those units. I don't see those enemies appear in the game enough often.

Max_Caine's mod does this and I think its a cool idea to implement into XNT too.

hi guys, thanks for all your feedback, but right now we are a little too short of personal, a bad ground combat lead us to the medbay :P.

TD crashed his hunter armoured car but he is okey, he will return soon and the other devs are a little busy, im copilating all the bugs you are saying so i really appreciate it, sorry if im not being active in the recent days but i got severe flue but my doctor says it could be chinkunguya fever (a kind of weird tropical illness transmited by white legs mosquitos...im Venezuelan), AND LET ME TELL YOU, it hurts a lot T_T. By now i'll be checking the thread all i can so thanks.

(also the bug that caused the issue of not being capable of change the name of your dropships..giving you a CTD was a XCE problem...they fixed it in the 0.30, but is still in testing phase so you should wait a little).

Other thing, i just realiced 'm' key is for melee attack, altough it doesnt really deal much damage. Don't you think it would be interesting to add some melee weapon addons (bayoneta for instance) at a cost of more weight of course, to deal in extreme close combat situations?

this will be good idea for me..with some instances anyway..at he beginning i find ridiculous attacking an alien invader with a regular bayonet:D when a close rage shotgun will do little.. in a more advanced stage(after discovering alien alloy fabbrication or laser/plasma tech)a superheated plasma blade(dagger or better a sword) or a alien alloy chainsaw capable of cutting an andron armor like a hot knife into the butter would be interesting..it this mod where even the ceasan non-combattant fire a lot and easily kill unarmoured soldier close combat is rare and always suicidal..but if managed well the idea is interesting..

p.s i have played the old EU and TFD and the "Drill" to kill the lobster like alien were very cool!

Well, Im sure almost everyone has run out of ammo more than once in GC, in that case you have to "scavenge" alien corpses for their weapons... having a melee weapon is just another strategic option: It adds weight to the weapon so you may choose not to equip it, but if it deals serious damage, you could think to use it for killing that gargol or viper that us so close, or just go crazy and charge that blue andron!

Quick impressions about early game after successful terror mission on my Insane run, currently up to Landing Ships (3 ranked soldier, 6 privates dead):

* Incendiary grenades are fine as it is, but it's still really good. The fact that instantly explodes, deal no over-damage, and also create large radius of fire means it has huge utility over even alenium greandes - besides killing, it can be used to easily remove cover for LOS, burn enemies in confined spaces, and create wall of fire to prevent approach of the melee alien (which is pretty cool, managed to prevent inevitable zombification and hold out against numerous Gargols by setting all Charlie entrances on fire).

I like the incendiary grenade as is, but considering its effectiveness I think it is unlocked way too easily. These grenades unlocked for me after single mission with Minor Vipers so I assume the corpse alone is sufficient for unlock. I suggest unlock requirement to be changed to stunned minor viper instead, so you have another thing to aim for in early ground combat. I think it's pretty interesting thing to aim for, as capturing Minor Viper with very basic equipment can be difficult but becomes really easy after you get some basic research like advanced shotgun etc. going

* I don't know name of the gun, but one of the early game alien weapon that shoots out 3 pellets seem to be absurdly weak. Each pellet seems to deal like <10 dmg even against unarmoured targets. I've seen civilian take 6 pellets and still manage to survive, and this is after Insane damage boost...

Personal opinion, perhaps lethality of early game non-stun alien weapons (including Gargol attacks, especially since they are much easier to kill) are bit low? Perhaps minor bump up on damage or at least adjusting related difficulty modifier would perhaps alleviate people's report about easier early game, at least it's better than jacking up alien endurance again I feel. Currently using Hell Gate weapons, and think endurance of the mid-game aliens to be just right at the moment, much better than those of the Firebat.

Edited by ventuswings
should be final edit

Is there a solution to the air combat slow down problem?

This was also caused by XCE, and yes, they will fix this on the

Quick impressions about early game after successful terror mission on my Insane run, currently up to Landing Ships (3 ranked soldier, 6 privates dead):

* Incendiary grenades are fine as it is, but it's still really good. The fact that instantly explodes, deal no over-damage, and also create large radius of fire means it has huge utility over even alenium greandes - besides killing, it can be used to easily remove cover for LOS, burn enemies in confined spaces, and create wall of fire to prevent approach of the melee alien (which is pretty cool, managed to prevent inevitable zombification and hold out against numerous Gargols by setting all Charlie entrances on fire).

I like the incendiary grenade as is, but considering its effectiveness I think it is unlocked way too easily. These grenades unlocked for me after single mission with Minor Vipers so I assume the corpse alone is sufficient for unlock. I suggest unlock requirement to be changed to stunned minor viper instead, so you have another thing to aim for in early ground combat. I think it's pretty interesting thing to aim for, as capturing Minor Viper with very basic equipment can be difficult but becomes really easy after you get some basic research like advanced shotgun etc. going

* I don't know name of the gun, but one of the early game alien weapon that shoots out 3 pellets seem to be absurdly weak. Each pellet seems to deal like <10 dmg even against unarmoured targets. I've seen civilian take 6 pellets and still manage to survive, and this is after Insane damage boost...

Personal opinion, perhaps lethality of early game non-stun alien weapons (including Gargol attacks, especially since they are much easier to kill) are bit low? Perhaps minor bump up on damage or at least adjusting related difficulty modifier would perhaps alleviate people's report about easier early game, at least it's better than jacking up alien endurance again I feel. Currently using Hell Gate weapons, and think endurance of the mid-game aliens to be just right at the moment, much better than those of the Firebat.

Thanks for this very good review, when the devs come back, they will take your comments in count, thanks.

If everyone could continue testing,telling their ideas and playing. Will contribuite to improve the quality of the mod. Thanks for that :).

[quote name=

I love the incendiary granades!a more advanced version will be welcomed!(es a aelenium based fuel that duoubles the heat and deal a more enhanced damage to deal with more advanceed aliens)even a incendiary missile would be a nice add-on!:D

an interesting weapon that i fell the loss from the old EU is the proxy granades or mines!!these weapon would be excellent to cover flanks, gates or so,even to deal with some nasty enemies like vipers(a heavy AT mine that trigger at the passage over it by a bulky enemy like omega or delta viper would be great)

morale for enemies?a nice add on..seeing a surrounded,wounded,overpowered ceasan non combattant fight fanatically to the death and even counterattacks (obviously to be then immediately killed,cooked end eated:p)is a bit forced..would be interesting seeing enemy fleeing,go berserk or paniked like normal soldiers(with a bit higher morale than humans ok, but not wholly unwavering like now)

morale for enemies?a nice add on..seeing a surrounded,wounded,overpowered ceasan non combattant fight fanatically to the death and even counterattacks (obviously to be then immediately killed,cooked end eated:p)is a bit forced..would be interesting seeing enemy fleeing,go berserk or paniked like normal soldiers(with a bit higher morale than humans ok, but not wholly unwavering like now)

I think Xenopedia explains the reasons for morale absense: those (basic) aliens are just puppets, often w/o understanding even the concept of "self"

hi guys, i dont know if you remembered what i tell you a couple of days ago about a problems with some flags not being correctly showed in the GUI?. that instead of getting their respective flag you got a standar UN blue flag?

Well i founded the problem and fixed it, but i would like if some of you could tell me if you get the same error with the following nationalities:

brazilian,chinese,indian,irish, malaysian,romanian,scottish,brittish,polish

(latvia,singapore,philippines not being used by the mod so it doesnt matter )

if you found any of them, could you use this xml files and tell me if the issue is resolved?, i manually added the flags to the missing nations there (also take it the liberty of making the british union jack flag for the GURKHA regiments).

EDIT: i think it fixed...but with a cost, you need to restart the game or hire new soldiers with that nationalitie to work, for example i got a brazilian "un flag-ed" and another brazilian normally flaged that was hired after the game started..so i know that a lot of players will not restart their game for this little niptick issue, or in the case you got a wrong "flag-ed" veteran hardcore with chuck norris stats soldier.. i guess that if you use this "fix" you must get used to the UN...( AND the MOST important thing is ... this is a: non asked fix for a "nobody cares" bug xD)

Edited by blackwolf

I think Xenopedia explains the reasons for morale absense: those (basic) aliens are just puppets, often w/o understanding even the concept of "self"

also by the fact that there their morale "is not codified", in the same way that alliens doesnt bleed(i found this rather BALANCED than logical, as in the end, the aliens doesnt have medikits on their inventories).

IIRC XCE is aiming to coding somekind of "morale" system to the aliens in the future...but for now, the only thing we can do is wait and see.

also by the fact that there their morale "is not codified", in the same way that alliens doesnt bleed(i found this rather BALANCED than logical, as in the end, the aliens doesnt have medikits on their inventories).

IIRC XCE is aiming to coding somekind of "morale" system to the aliens in the future...but for now, the only thing we can do is wait and see.

yes.effectively the game is quite well balanced even without morale for xeno's

i have to pose a question(this is my first playthrought with this mod)set up a manufacturing base is economically a good choose?for ex, after building livivg quarters,store room,workshops,engeeniers,unkeep man/buildings left some $$ to amortize loss and gain a profit in reasonable time?

implementing (for ex during alien "research" mission) drones with a burst fire vortex?it would be frightning a drone firepower united to the vortex saturation/incapacitating power, it can be justified with the alien need of capturing living humans to use in experiments or gargols creations...

any idea of suicide alien units?a light drone without weapons but with a powerful engine(and subsequent higher TU's)full of high explosive(like a plasma C4) intended to do a kamikaze attack against closed human formations?or in the close areas of a base it will be devastating..

powering a gargols?after killed "explodes"(leaving the body intact to recover)and release a "cloud" of gas/acid that kill or stun soldiers?(i have see that the main contact with the gargols come to near or in "hand to hand" distances..)

occured a strange idea..

implementing humans soldiers on the alien side????!!!:eek::eek:

the idea is plagiarized human prisoners or better and more disturbing human "volunteers"! like some pseudo-hippy sect that see the alien like gods or a superior race arrived from the stars to bring the humanity in a better and golden age/illuminated era...like some real movements in 60/70's;)

armed with alien weapons and armours..or just like terran soldiers with alien weapons,used by aliens to mask real intentions or propaganda (they say "hey!even your son's fight on our side)

If we're throwing out random ideas, I'd actually want Psions to get "panic grenade" that cause severe morale damage for one turn of guaranteed panic. As is, Caesan psions are still unremarkable and adding such unique arsenal would make them more stand out. Of course, it has been modified for human biochemistry and do nothing to aliens, just like Sebilians and Androns which do not carry grenades which could work against them (I actually like no alien panic)

If we're throwing out random ideas, I'd actually want Psions to get "panic grenade" that cause severe morale damage for one turn of guaranteed panic. As is, Caesan psions are still unremarkable and adding such unique arsenal would make them more stand out. Of course, it has been modified for human biochemistry and do nothing to aliens, just like Sebilians and Androns which do not carry grenades which could work against them (I actually like no alien panic)

it's agood idea! this will enhances that gray little b*****rds nastyness!:D