Alien color variety, bloodtracks and more With pictures!

got bored and did some pictures of some ideas. :P

first one is for adding color code for aliens showing what kind of alien is there. lets say that soldier is green, scientist is yellow, etc etc... or they could present their toughness. i think this could bring easily "without-much-working" (i guess) a lot more variety to aliens by re-texturing the alien model Uvmaps. tho on the downside is, there would be much more images added for xenonaut, basically from same alien.

tierufos2.jpg

for second, is quite familiar to all... how about bloodtracks for the wounded? loved this concept in jagged alliance

bloodstain.jpg

and for the third... thinking twice, well this might be quite dumb idea and overpowered, but how about aerial support for the ground combat? just have a look at the picture, it has AH-1 Cobra supporting :) ...tho, it wouldnt need to be helicopter, could be a airplane also doing gunning raid from air or bombing... allmost can see the vulcan fire coming from the sky and high speed velocity shadow from the passing plane in the ground lol ...but yeah, overpowered.

Untitled-1.jpg

tierufos2.jpg

bloodstain.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

tierufos2.jpg.988402a036a0b90b0662e029ac

bloodstain.jpg.396b0296096dc834715db5aa9

Untitled-1.jpg.aabb7617eb93f24543b76ed6e

First part is already planned, if I remember rightly from what Chris has posted.

Third part has already been ruled out by Chris, might feature in a mod though if someone can work out how to do it as it is quite a popular suggestion.

I am not sure about the second one.

Don't recall the suggestion coming up in that form.

I would think the game engine could generate decals quite easily.

Nice visual indicator when someone is injured.

i think this could bring easily "without-much-working" (i guess) a lot more variety to aliens by re-texturing the alien model Uvmaps.

All the original 3D models were given their final touches as 2D frames so if you intend to "just re-colour a tiny bit", you're looking at editing every single animation frame for every alien / weapon combination. One by one.

Of course, if you saved the edited area as a mask, attached to every individual frame, you can mass-produce further variations through Photoshop batch processing or the likes.

i highly doubt that "every" animation sprite was edited or hand made one by one, even to these developers it would be waaay too much to work imo. for the progress of making these lively ufos or nautics, it is much likely to make a concept -> model -> texture it -> give animations -> use this tool, to convert 3d models to sprites as there is a example picture of this program in xenonaut folder,and also to give them the bird perpspective.... http://www.d-grafix.com/?page=spriteforge. .. and code it to the game. altough coding might take some time, dont know since i dont know about anything of coding :P ...

but saying that IF developer owns the ready made basic model,texture,animation allready , it wouldnt be hard to texture the model (or more likely CHANGE the color) and port it to sprites... and sorry for typos if there is ,im drunk and my english aint so good :P

Edited by Ryske

It is not so much the colour change that is the problem but making each of the animations into a spritesheet and then having them touched up to fit in with the art style of the rest of the game.

You could skip this final step but I doubt the output would be as nice.

Hopefully though Chris will release the 3D models once the game is finished, so people with that kind of interest can make anything they want from them.

Really? 7-8 ranks? all with their own colours? I... I didn't know there would be that many. I was a bit confused about officers and how to distinguish them from soldiers. But that clears it right up... I'm really excited about that aspect now ^^

Will the "support" aliens such as scuttlers be in different colours as well or will there just be a single scuttler type?

From what I have picked up the main species will have several ranks, between 4 and 8 depending on which you look at.

The vehicle/support races seem to have a single type.

Apart from the Scuttler you mentioned that is, it has 3 'stages' although I have no idea what that means, or if there will be a colour variation.

Be interesting to find out.

And I hope the weakest, most vulnerable, and easiest to kill will always have the red shirts.