Modular UFOs - Discussion and Suggestions

kabill

Personally I would leave at least one tile between the access door and the edge of the submap, just in case something gets randomly placed along that edge and blocks it off.

I know you should be able to breach the walls but aliens shouldn't have to rely on that just to get out from a bad parking space ;)

I just used the original Corvette size and shape, mate - door is in the same position there.

@Kevin: I quite like the alternative corvette layout, although personally I'd suggest giving the rooms a more obvious and clear function than they have at the moment (it's also lacking a navigation room/bridge, which I'd argue is a staple). Also, you'd need to add in a torpedo tube to be consistent with current game balance (the torpedo tubes contain alenium).

Thanks, I didn't know the torpedo tube is essential. There is an obvious prop that can be replaced by it so it should be a quick fix. As a matter of fact perhaps you could help with some dummy step-by-step guide how to make the submap fully functional in the current game. All I have done is paint the tiles you see, without setting up any spawn points, teleport links or assigning hull to the UFO. I tried looking into the latter in the existing submaps but I couldn't figure how to even hide the hull to see the floor, let alone reconstruct it in my submaps!

Yeah but I still don't think it's a good idea.

If we are looking at new designs no need to copy potential problems from the old ones.

I agree, mate, and thank you for pointing out it might be a potential flaw as I wasn't aware of it. It will be easy to edit - I was aiming at some flexibility allowing to push this as functional design in the current game without the modular mod if necessary, that's why I was reluctant with tweaking it initially.

Thanks, I didn't know the torpedo tube is essential. There is an obvious prop that can be replaced by it so it should be a quick fix. As a matter of fact perhaps you could help with some dummy step-by-step guide how to make the submap fully functional in the current game. All I have done is paint the tiles you see, without setting up any spawn points, teleport links or assigning hull to the UFO. I tried looking into the latter in the existing submaps but I couldn't figure how to even hide the hull to see the floor, let alone reconstruct it in my submaps!

A guide might not be a bad idea, actually. In the long run, it would be helpful for people wanting to make new UFO designs anyway.

In terms of external walls, you can't hide the hull other that using the "show ground" tab (which removes all of the props as well). Adding in exterior walls is therefore the last thing that I do, otherwise it can get a bit difficult to see what's going on.

In terms of external walls, you can't hide the hull other that using the "show ground" tab (which removes all of the props as well). Adding in exterior walls is therefore the last thing that I do, otherwise it can get a bit difficult to see what's going on.

I can swear I tried that and it didn't work at all. Anyway, it's really unfortunate the tool has such visual limitations on top of the resolution which is a real pain to deal with at my machine.

By the way what would it take to make the submaps appear in the actual game? Just place them in the respective maps folder and the game will pick one randomly?

If show ground wasn't removing objects, it's because you've placed all the objects on layer 0. Layering is really important. You should place all ground tiles on layer 0, and all non-ground tiles on layer 1 (in principle, you can use layers beyond that, but it causes overlap issues with units).

To make submaps appear in the game, yes, all you need to do is put it in the relevant UFO submap folder. Make sure you remove the vanilla ones, otherwise you might get them instead which isn't very useful for testing.

I mean the original UFO submaps, not mine :) To my credit, I became aware of the layers midway through my first design.

Although if I put the submaps in as they are right now, won't that crash the game or at least cause tremendous visual issues? (Aside from the fact no aliens will probably spawn, heh)

Oh, to get the vanilla hulls to work you have to use the special UFO hull tile indicators in the bottom left corner. Basically, all they do is pain invisible, impenetrable walls. But if a player unit can see inside the UFO, any prop which overlaps with one of these so-marked tiles (along with ones on higher levels, actually) will disappear from view.

Currently the UFO submap sizes are:

Light Scout - 8x14

Scout - 15x18

Corvette 18x20

Landing Ship - 23x21

Cruiser - 30x26

Carrier - 14x49

Battleship - 30x36

Should we try to stick to those so the modular craft can slot straight into the current maps?

Remember that if we make different facings for some craft, particularly the light scout and carrier, then new maps would be required anyway.

Personally I think squaring off most of them would be a good idea so different facings could share the same submap more easily.

It wouldn't make much difference either as most are pretty close to square.

The new wall tiles definitely bring back memories of the OG UFOs.

This is a light scout just to have a look at the walls, using version two.

Version one walls are rounded, there are also blending tiles to link them so you could use a combination.

LS1.jpg

LS1.jpg

LS1.jpg.e141ee9c67e539e1934e30c8b07a39e5

I agree, placing new ufo spawn points to few dozen maps is a couple hours job at most. I just can't believe you GH guys didn't do this in the first place. You had few ufo's done already, after all.

Edited by Skitso

Something to consider re: submap sizes - if there's any intention of having random UFO facings, the submaps need to be square (even if the the UFO itself isn't roughly square-shaped). Don't know if that's actually a plan or not, but I thought it was worth highlighting in case.

Currently the UFO submap sizes are:

Light Scout - 8x14

Scout - 15x18

Corvette 18x20

Landing Ship - 23x21

Cruiser - 30x26

Carrier - 14x49

Battleship - 30x36

Should we try to stick to those so the modular craft can slot straight into the current maps?

Remember that if we make different facings for some craft, particularly the light scout and carrier, then new maps would be required anyway.

Personally I think squaring off most of them would be a good idea so different facings could share the same submap more easily.

It wouldn't make much difference either as most are pretty close to square.

The new wall tiles definitely bring back memories of the OG UFOs.

This is a light scout just to have a look at the walls, using version two.

Version one walls are rounded, there are also blending tiles to link them so you could use a combination.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4716[/ATTACH]

I have a dummy question but how do you actually apply the hull tiles? I've imported the specters to the submap but they don't show any preview picture on the right panel and wherever I try to place them nothing happens.

It's probably where you've extracted the tiles to. Extract the "UFO_hull" folder (not the "tiles_spectres" folder) to assets/tiles/UFO and that should do it.

(Assuming I'm right, it's just that the directory path for the images is set as tiles/UFO_hull/[iMAGE.png] so if they're not in exactly that place the program won't be able to find the images).

I just placed the ufo_hull folder in the tiles/ufo folder and placed them as normal.

I agree that it makes more sense to just come up with new UFO sizes as the current ones are mainly set by the size of the external areas rather than the requirements of internal space.

I was just curious how others were planning on making their sample UFOs so we could at least have some similarities to compare them more easily.

I am going to have a go at making a few different light scouts and scouts and see how scale works there.

Just noticed how much that light scout I threw together looks like an OG Avenger...

*edit*

The roof is just placed on the next level up, remember to put it at layer 0 so your troops can walk on it.

Also add at least one extra level so you can jump up when you have the tech.

Here is basically the same image but using the rounded walls.

I think I prefer to combine them.

LS2.jpg

LS2.jpg

LS2.jpg.14b96a50b4c22ef0d8637fcc22dacb6b

Edited by Gauddlike

I was just curious how others were planning on making their sample UFOs so we could at least have some similarities to compare them more easily.

I am going to have a go at making a few different light scouts and scouts and see how scale works there.

*edit*

The roof is just placed on the next level up, remember to put it at layer 0 so your troops can walk on it.

Also add at least one extra level so you can jump up when you have the tech.

Thanks, yes, the reminder for layer 0 is important, easy to miss!

I intend to stick to regular UFO shapes until I get the hang of it and see how they function in game. Reluctant to do anything bigger than Corvette until I learn how to actually tie teleporters and handle floors properly.

Thanks, yes, the reminder for layer 0 is important, easy to miss!

I intend to stick to regular UFO shapes until I get the hang of it and see how they function in game. Reluctant to do anything bigger than Corvette until I learn how to actually tie teleporters and handle floors properly.

Teleporters are really easy.

1) If you're starting from a UFO submap that already has teleporters, click the paint teleporter button (leading it on -1) and go and click on all the existing teleporters (this removes them from the submap).

2) Change the teleporter value to 1 and make sure you're in paint teleporter mode. Click on one of your teleporters, then click on another one that you want it to be linked to. Job done!

3) If you have multiple sets of teleporters, repeat step 2 but increase the teleporter number each time.

Floors are dead simple, too. There's a button near the top which is add level (or something like that) and it adds a new level to the map! Just treat this the same as the ground floor, but make sure you paint ground tiles on all of the spaces you want units to be able to step on. You can toggle between levels by pressing tab when you're editing the map itself, if that helps.

Which reminds me: Pro Tip! ctrl-z will undo changes while editing the submap. This avoids you having to go back into the tool window to undo something if you made a mistake.

Another thing I intend to do is possibly draw duplicate submaps of all designs facing all four directions as it also brings visual variety.

kabill - thanks on all the tips, especially the shortcuts! (Facepalm moment reading these)

More questions:

- What's the difference between painting Inner and Outer walls? Are both a must?

- What's the purpose of the Control room (the red tiles)?

- Do I need to manually set up spawn points for the aliens and if so - how? Does it matter how many spawn points I will provide?

- What do you mean by painting ground on roofs? Won't "New Level - layer 0 - paint roof everywhere - Add another new level" do it? Or I need to add something else as well?

- I noticed there are specific props like "Corvette Datacore" which look the same for different UFO types and it could lead to having a "Scout Datacore" pop up in a Corvette if one isn't careful. Is there any other asset I need to be careful about which would be easy to mistake for an unexperienced mapper?

- Do I need to tweak the props (as in what kind of resources they will provide) or sticking to the basic props for the respective UFO type will handle it automatically?

- Considering my love for vents do I need to set anything re: destructible, HP, etc - or they will be set to destructible automatically?

- Does the submap require painting ground outside the UFO or that's applied automatically by the game to tie it to the tileset of the entire map?

- Is there anything else I am missing to make the submap functional? Consider I know nothing and have done nothing beyond simply drawing the images you see me post.

Edited by KevinHann