Rescuing Downed Xenonauts

So, pretty much out of desperation, after a much-beloved squadmate got dropped and I didn't want to just savescum her back to life or something, I had one of my other Xenonauts pump her fallen form full of medical kit uses repeatedly, a couple of times every remaining turn of the mission.

Much to my surprise, and relief, afterwards said squadmate was actually listed as not dead! Grievously injured, but somehow alive. Since then, it's turned out that it wasn't just a coincidence, but an actual mechanic, as it's worked another time.

But what are the actual mechanics involved? Does it just take one medikit zap to "preserve" a corpse for revival back at Xenonauts HQ? Does death drop them to 1 HP and leave them bleeding, meaning they need to be healed for at least 5HP every turn to avoid death? I've had a "dead" squadmate somehow not die one other time, on my very first mission, without my having healed them at all, so obviously there are other events that can trigger it, too.

Perhaps because I completed the mission on the same turn they got dropped, meaning they still had that 1HP left when the mission ended?

I'm just kind of wondering exactly how it works.

If a soldier gets damaged beyond -20HP then he is surely dead. If somewhere in the range of 0HP to 19/20?HP he has a chance to survive after the mission has ended.

I have not read anywhere that using medkits on corpses has any effect at all. It might be an oversight by developers, that it is possible to use medkits on them.

I might be wrong but it seems to me this is how it works.

You can "heal" any square for 5 HP with a medkit though. It's rather bizarre and probably doesn't do anything, but it might be confusing people when they try to use a kit on the spot a Xenonaut fell. If you pay close attention, however, you'll see it's the ground which lights up green, and not the body.

Yes. Pay attention to the damage numbers, and the like. If your real paranoid, I believe corpses fit in backpacks, you could take the dedicated medic and have him in charge of dragging bodies away from the fighting xD. don't want that guy who died at exactly 0 getting mulched by plasma cannons.

I think the manual needs to clarify the difference between partially dead, mostly dead & fully dead :P

PS I had a soldier with around 55HP who took 60 damage and dropped. I pumped 2 whole medkits into them before the mission ended but they stayed dead, so yeah that does nothing. Damn you RNG that was my best soldier!!!

So why can you heal the ground?

I also thought I was doing something good by using the medkit on a downed soldier, since I got visual feedback from the UI that I was doing something (which certainly looked like I was using my medkit on a fallen body).

You just got lucky. A soldier that has been killed but has more than -20 HP has a chance to survive the mission. Medkits are not intended to have an effect on corpses.

It's just pretty strange that it's worked in BOTH of those cases, and no others aside from that one first time. I think we may be looking at some sort of hidden or undocumented feature, here. I'm not personally looking forward to throwing more Xenonaut lives into peril, so I don't suppose we could ask people to try it out and see what happens for them?

It's a bug. Corpses have a negative HP level for purposes of overdamage/gibbing. But the unintended consequence of allowing a corpse to have negative HP is from a code perspective a medkit could try and give a corpse positive HP even though it wouldn't work.

It's a bug. Corpses have a negative HP level for purposes of overdamage/gibbing. But the unintended consequence of allowing a corpse to have negative HP is from a code perspective a medkit could try and give a corpse positive HP even though it wouldn't work.

I am sorry, but reading it in that wording.... now I want zombie Xenonauts....