Tank and fighter experience, Psi abilities, and general questions and suggestions.

Hello everyone:

I've recently started getting into the Alpha for Xenonauts and I'm enjoying what I see so far. However I have a few questions and suggestions:

1.) Will humans be able to gain and train Psi abilities like in the original X-com? If they can not get them in the released game can it be modded in?

2.) Will tanks and fighters gain experience? The one thing I never understood in the original X-com is why your fighter pilots could never gain XP and get better abilities. It would make sense since the more missions the pilot survives the better he/she would get. The main reason I was asking about the tanks is because unlike the HWP's in X-com that were remotely piloted (thought the same argument for the fighter pilots could be made for them), however the Tanks in Xenonaughts has a crew member in side controlling them. Can they get experience as well? I realize they would advance alot more then the ground troops because of the armor and firepower of the tank but maybe they could have a reduced rate to compensate?

3.) Is there a way to tell your fighters to fight at long, medium, or short range? For example have the Mig sit at long range and shoot missiles and have the F-16 get in and dogfight with their cannons?

4.) Is there a way on the ground combat gui to tell what lvl the camera is on? I couldn't find anything on the main gui.

I may have additional questions later, however thank you again for making this great game.

Yup the answers given above are correct. We've mostly implemented the new ground combat GUI now though so the camera level issue will be resolved in the next build.

Oh, and with regards to 3) we'll add a throttle control for each of the aircraft so you have finer control over speed.

Lonewolf:

about 2) giving fighter pilots new abilities is generally a bad idea because the abilities will either be negligeble that they dont matter and people will jsut wonder why they were implemented or they will be required to take down the endgame ufos in which case you will be unable to down anything should all your experienced crafts be shot down.

Baisicly giving your aircrafts abilities and stat upgrade are bad for gameplay.

3) what do you mean by "sit"? they are planes so they need to constantly move forward to generate lift. like sharks. Since the UFO will be moveing towards you as well you might not allways be able to keep them at your prefered distance. But yeah apparantly we will get throttle controlls ^^ YAY.

Obviously he could get the ability to open the cockpit and crawl out on the wings to manually rearm the missiles :P

He can learn to fly in the radar shadow of a bigass paper plane that gets shot down instead of him. :P

They could learn to do a Horatio after downing a UFO

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

He then needs to get the skill of 'don't get paper cuts from bigass paper planes'.

But seriously IF you were to put skills in for fighters it would be mainly accuracy and dodging with possible minor things like fuel management (more carefully manage controls to keep fuel useage slightly lower... this assumes no autopilot for long haul... come on this is the 1970s! Didn't they have clockwork pilot controls? ;) ) or sensor management to see a bit further or see through stealthed craft in combat.

But hey, if they're not going to be in then they aren't. I'm not a huge fan of it anyway. It'd be nice to have a kind of learning curve, especially if the pilots could eject if the craft is shot down, possibly generating a rescue mission. Plus if such skills were needed late game you'd have to have some kind of training section to get newbies up to scratch. You could always exchange quantity for quality until the new guys were trained up. "UFO incoming!", "OK, launch all twenty five interceptors!"

I'm not sure but I think psi abilities could be modded in for humans.

That would depend on how the psi abilities are coded.

If they are hard coded into the aliens then it would be difficult, although still possible.

They could be added as an ammotype (a flag in the weapon xml files), in which case it would be easier to add a human version.

Something along the lines of a psi amp.

Just make a weapon that has a psi type instead of the current rocket, grenade, or normal ammotype flag.

The difficult part would be making the shots depend on morale instead of accuracy, or something along those lines.

It depends on if Chris wants to lay the groundwork by adding something for modders to refine later.

And of course if the time and money is there to allow him to do that.

and general questions

Ok

Lazy noob questions

Any of this conformed in to do list? :

1 Critical wounds/ bleeding?

soldiers/aliens/both?

2. Sensors/scaners?

3. 4square alien units?

4 Crash landing/interception damage based battlescape ufo exterior/interior damage?

5 landscape bumps/hills?

I hope you understand my english

Edited by zzz

From what I remember from previous posts:

1, The damage taken (and medikits) in the game are currently just health reduction (and a weapon that does negative damage to equal a heal).

There was another thread about the medikit but Chris hadn't replied in there with any plans last time I looked.

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php?996-Medikits-and-Time-Value&p=11510&viewfull=1#post11510

2, Scanners are something Chris has said will be in, he hadn't finalised how they would work last time I remember reading about them though.

3, Larger alien units will be in, probably filling the same terror/ support roles the cyderdisc etc did in the original.

4, Chris has also said he likes the idea of battle damage on downed ufos, hopefully he will be able to get a few damaged versions of tiles made for future builds.

5, From an old post by Chris, this may have changed if this was before they changed game engine.

Not a direct quote.

This is an awkward part from the game engine perspective.

The engine used doesn't do the sort of half levels that made up bump and hillsides in x-com.

That means any changes in ground level would have to be by a whole floor level.

That would make for some very steep hills!

The damage taken (and medikits) in the game are currently just health reduction

I know. I have alpha.

My question was exactly what it was, and I ask about plans. Ok - Chris did not say anything about this("confirmed" - this is correct word, not "conformed" )

Anyway, I got some answers, thanks .

Gauddlikes answers wasn't enough? Want more "yes/no" type of answers then? I'm going to try shorter more boiled down answers.

1. no, nothing confirmed.

2. As far as I know yes.

3. I think not confirmed, but it seems very likely.

4. yes

5. I believe Chris has said he wants to but I'm not sure, so I'm going to go with "not confirmed".

Gauddlikes answers wasn't enough? Want more "yes/no" type of answers then?

I was just trying to explain. May I again used the incorrect words, but I got the answers, and quite satisfied. But you right, that is form of answers i wanted to get. Thank you, too.

Edited by zzz