Review (maybe first)

Hi,

do not know if this is the first review of the game: http://www.4players.de/4players.php/dispbericht/Allgemein/Test/30527/80510/0/Xenonauts.html (in German)

It got 78%...I think it is pretty fair...it acknowledges that it is a true successor of the original one and that the groundcombat would be very good. Negative issues are that the AI of civilians and local forces (too random) is weak and for example the cover system (not transparent). The review would like to see more additional content to the original game but maybe the reviewer has not recognized the subtle changes.

So, maybe the Devs can improve some issues here in future patches, especially make the cover system more transparent and make the friendly AI a little better?

I don't get that. I haven't had any issues with the cover system not being transparent. And the civilian/local forces AI has been weak on every XCom tribute I've ever played, most of all on the Firaxis releases where the civvies run about completely mindlessly. At least in Xenonauts they usually sort of gravitate towards the vicinity of your troops for some kind of protection

I don't get their comment about not being able to shoot over waist-high cover.

Ähnlich unplausibel ist ihr Unvermögen über hüfthohe Hindernisse zu schießen. So lange sie sich in der Hocke befinden, kann ich die Einschränkung nachvollziehen – stehen Angreifer und Ziel aufrecht, ergibt sie jedoch keinen Sinn.

What? They can shoot over low cover, and can do so both when crouching and standing. Perhaps it is not clear enough also that adjacent cover doesn't block anything. I feel like that's the one part of the game the reviewers misunderstood.

He say lot of things, good and bad, most of them reviewed here in the forum and based on the engine.

I agree with cinematic and more diversity. The cover system if because Fixaris make a great effort stablishing a cool system that people use to it.

There is a obvious vomparison with fixaris, but still players get the idea of the remix.

Why this game dont have introduction? Even 90s classic Xcom has a really cool one...

:/

I'm happy with a 78% review. The game is quite a niche game, so I'd be surprised if it got much more than 80-85% anywhere. It's never going to be a breakout hit like the Firaxis game was.

But then I don't think it deserves less than 70% either, because the game does what it is meant to do pretty effectively.

Well, I for one have.

If you're referring to line of sight issues as shown in your pics, sure, that's common. But not the cover system being transparent (note in your pics, again, how you can see the soldier's position through the haystack, that's what I took "transparent" to mean)

What the German reviewer means is that some objects and walls only become transparent when your soldier is right next to them. There are some maps with large shipping containers / railcars that you might sometimes wish to have transparent but can't until you put a soldier next to them. Not a major issue, though.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm happy with a 78% review. The game is quite a niche game, so I'd be surprised if it got much more than 80-85% anywhere. It's never going to be a breakout hit like the Firaxis game was.

As a German I can say. 4Players is one of those sites that uses a real 100% scale.

Not the modern everything below 80% is crap some sites use.

Quite the opposite 85-89% is a very high score on 4player. 90+ is reserved for the best of the best games (the highest score a pc game got is 94%).

78% is a good and that's fair.

Other 78% 4players PC games.

Tropico 3

Mount & Balde Warband

The Sims 3

FTL

Dreamfall TLJ

Edited by rftl

As a German I can say. 4Players is one of those sites that uses a real 100% scale.

Not the modern everything below 80% is crap some sites use.

Quite the opposite 85-89% is a very high score on 4player. 90+ is reserved for the best of the best games (the highest score a pc game got is 94%).

With 78% is a good and that's fair.

Other 78% 4players PC games.

Tropico 3

Mount & Balde Warband

The Sims 3

FTL

Dreamfall TLJ

That's pretty good company.