Skitso's Oppressive UI MOD

Skitso

Looks good. I think I might give this a shot. However, I did like the original orange icons which I might keep.

Is there anything that can be done about the bright red text that shows up when a soldier is injured? I always felt like it was way out of place. Maybe a yellow or a gray would look better.

Skitso: Firstly Thanks! I'm not a fan of white schemes and like the dark theme you've come up with.. tho i may darken the world maps a little more yet :-) However there are a few minor changes I'd like to make and a few questions. There doesnt seem to be any grid lines in the ground combat inventory. Is this intended? How can i put them back, some black ones would go well. Also what do i need to change if i want my green and red colour bars back for weight etc? Whilst I quite like the darker look of your mod and love the transparency/darker guns especially I'd still like some colour in mine ;P

Gauddlike: How can I get your black clipboards... Your screens with them are impressive!

Thanks for your comments! Ground combat inventory uses same graphic elements as the soldier equipment screen back at the base. As they are transparent now, it's a bit of a problem in ground combat inventory screen. I did add a gray scale gradient background there so that the grid lines would be more visible, but i guess theres still room for improvement.

You will never see green (or any other bright coloured) bars in this mod! :D I can however post you instructions tomorrow when I'm back at my computer on how you can change them to your own liking. It's easy. :)

Edited by Skitso

The grid lines are actually borders on the original images, it should easily be possible to make only the middles of the box transparent while leaving the grid lines opaque.

The clipboards are just modified from the one on the main menu screen, I haven't done any more work on them though so they are still not perfect.

I also never got around to making one to fit the larger area required for the personnel screen.

I was working on it though so if I get a chance I will finish it up, Skitso might be interested in using it if I can make it dark enough :P

The clipboards are in this zip though if you want them, just copy them into assets/ui_screens/ui_workshop and ui_research.

The rest of the files are just backups of my test runs on adjusting the ui, might not want to bother with those.

Okay, so here's the steps to change bar colors in the soldier equipment screen:

1. Backup sequipview.lua in the /assets/scripts/ folder

2. Open sequipview.lua in the /assets/scripts/ folder with Notepad, WordPad or similar text editor

3. Search for "local pbarcolor" this alters the base bar color (atributes, weight and TU penalty) in the soldier equipment screen

4. You can change it to "barcolor = Color(RRR,GGG,BBB,TTT)," where RRR is red component 0-255, GGG is green component 0-255, BBB is blue component 0-255 and TTT is transparency which you need to set to 255 in this one) for example local pbarcolor = Color(255,0,0,255), displays bright red bar.

5. Then we need to change the second bar color (atribute gain) search for BarSecondColor. It's few lines above. Change it the same way.

6.Then we still need to find the overweight bar color. Search for CARRWEIGHT and count 17 lined down from there. You should find barcolor2 = Color(100,100,100,255),. Change it the same way and you are done.

You can change bar colors same way in the other screens too.

:)

Edited by Skitso

I don't see why mods like this couldn't just be bundled with vanilla (with the acceptance of Skitso) and an option was made available in the graphics options for "oppressive" or "normal" UI? :)

Sure, that would be an honor! :)

Edited by Skitso

The question would be, as the lead dev, what mods do you offically sanction? (Making a button in the game for a specific mod would be offical sanctioning of a mod) The ones you like? The ones you think will fit with the game? The ones the other devs like? The ones you don't like but the hoi polloi do? The ones whose creators have a big following? Do you develop a system for greenlighting "official" mods? How many buttons do you allow? Where do the buttons go - who alters the UI for that?

• 4 weeks later...

New 0.5 version released: (compatible with 21 E3 + balance update)

Lot's of changes and additions in this version:

-Complete geoscape overhaul: new objectives text, color grading on the map, all new blue color theme, new crash site, terror, alien base icons etc...

-Transparent menu screens

-a few font and button modifications

-added new role images

-Slight changes to injured soldiers' health bar in the equipment screen

-completely new close buttons in ground combat inventory, xenopedia and interceptor menu

-added a slight edge vignetting in ground combat

-few bug fixes

Download link and a couple of new screenies updated in the OP

Feedback is greatly appreciated! Also, please report any bugs. :)

Edited by Skitso

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks great!

but then the GC tiles and aliens also need mods to conform to the imminent zombie/alien apocalypse feel of it (or perhaps even a universal Red mitigation about %20 would suffice, they're so colorful that the above geoscape will only then be not too out of place i fear). Looks really great man, interesting that just how much does a small thing as the color palette might change about the atmosphere! You should have came up with the oppressive ui mod earlier in development that maybe it would then make its way into the general artwork and be default vanilla. And then the above work of art would be the really oppressive ui.