Skitso's Oppressive UI MOD

Skitso

I've applied your mod Skitso and I have a question - could you darken the night cycle a bit. Sometimes it is hard to notice the "borders". Or do something else that it could be visible more clearly.

Yeah, you (and kabill) are probably right. I'll tinker with it tomorrow.

@MortuusSum: thanks. Community's kind words make all the work worth it.

Great, finally released and I get to play with this. I was waiting for a while now after I tried it with an experimental a few builds back and fell for it. The new geoscape is really cool I think. Really great work, thanks. And here are some nitpick critics if any use to you:

1-The excess weight bar in soldier equipment is too white to be easy on the eyes when you are equipping your soldiers, it is very similar in color with the rest of the normal weight bar so maybe it could be darkened?

2-Ufo's are very dim and blend too much with the new geoscape.

3-(vanilla) Air combat feels too bright and cheerful after you intercept them on the dark geoscape, you know, reds vs. greens. They could also get the color scheme of geoscape icons or some other darker scheme.

4-Title screen is dated now that they have done much alterations on it.

Keep up the good work please, this was one of the must-haves for me.

Thanks for the comments and support! :)

1. The weight bar uses exactly the same colors as soldier stats, and changing the excess part darker would make the stats gain not be visible enough I think. I'll see if there's something I could do with it.

2. Hmm, you are not the first one to comment this, but I really can't see the problem at my end...

3. This is something I really would have liked to fix, but Air combat screen is not that moddable, I'm afraid.

4. Yeah, I disabled the animations on purpose. Didn't like them at all, to be honest.

Suggestion for your mod: the nighttime darkness is way too dark. I get that you want to add a more scary atmosphere, but sharpness of the dark edges is too hard, imo, and looks a bit weird. Might just be me, dunno, but that's how I feel. Love the rest of the mod.

Just did my first night mission using this mod. Right at the beginning of the mission, I'm not sure I liked it. There was a kind of grey wash over everything which I wasn't too fussed with.

However, five minutes or so into the mission I'd ceased noticing it, thoroughly enjoyed the mission aesthetically and otherwise. So, as with most things related to this mod, the night missions take a little getting used to but after that they're fine (actually, excellent! Creeping through the burnt-out wreck of a landing ship at night was cool.)

Thanks! :) I tinkered with different color grading settings, colors and alphas quite a long time and this was the end result. I even got Giovanni to add extra code to the game to get it working the way I wanted. So it's really thought out effect, and I'm glad you felt the same way in the end.

Edited by Skitso

New version that is now compatible with Xenonauts 1.03. Few fixes to scroll bars and most importantly improvements per user feedback: geoscape day/night contrast made a bit more visible, also equipment screen's over weight bar color made a bit darker. Link in the OP.

Edited by Skitso

I forgot few files from the 1.03 I uploaded earlier today. A fixed version of Oppressive UI Mod 1.03 is now online with also a brand new seperate extra super addon file for users with 1920p+ resolution (improves soldier equipment screen functionality). Both download links in the OP.

This is something I really would have liked to fix, but Air combat screen is not that moddable, I'm afraid

I successfully changed a few of the the aircraft and Ufo images to match the blue geoscape icons but can't find a way to change the play field or the red and green fire cones at all. Are we stuck with those?

So, this is a vanilla issue as much as anything, but: I really don't like the overlay that's placed over lost countries. I find it glaring in vanilla, and I'm not certain it fits with this mod's style.

Is there any way you might be persuaded to change it so as to make it less, well, red? And bright? I'm wondering whether a pale, semi-transparent white/grey/something like that wouldn't look better. Just enough of a tint to show it's lost, but not enough for it to stand out really obviously.

(This is all assuming that it's even moddable).

So, this is a vanilla issue as much as anything, but: I really don't like the overlay that's placed over lost countries. I find it glaring in vanilla, and I'm not certain it fits with this mod's style.

Is there any way you might be persuaded to change it so as to make it less, well, red? And bright? I'm wondering whether a pale, semi-transparent white/grey/something like that wouldn't look better. Just enough of a tint to show it's lost, but not enough for it to stand out really obviously.

(This is all assuming that it's even moddable).

Heh, we really do seem to have a very similiar vision in lots of things, I see. It looks like crap, I know, and I would love to have it black, gray or something else that would have matched the mod's style. Alas, it's not possible to alter in any way, so yeah... that's what we are stuck with, I'm afraid.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, soi it's quite safe to say that pretty much everything you see that isn't matching the mods look is unmoddable.

Edited by Skitso

That's a shame. I did wonder whether it being like that was because it couldn't be modded, but it looked darker than I remember so thought there was a chance you had done something with it. (But that's probably just because of the darker background underneath).

No matter. It's more of an incentive not to lose any countries!

I was thinking the same thing so I tried to make the lost overlay black, here's how it looks in vanilla:

Screen72.jpg

Both NA and MA are lost here one's red one's black, though unfortunately I broke my game trying this so can't put it on oppressive UI, somehow my game doesn't like me meddling image files with photoshop, I now have to reinstall, and can't download from steam.

And one last thing would be the Aircombat Greens and Reds. Aircraft can be modded but then the fire cones look really weird.

Screen72.jpg

Screen72.thumb.jpg.8749be74728c98fc979ea

Edited by Caaygun

@Caaygun: How did you manage that? I just tried editing one of the of overlays in Oppressive UI and it's still red in-game.

Also, might be too late now but try using the "clean folder" application in the assets folder. I just had my modded build break for no apparent reason (the only thing I'd done, in fact, is edit one of the country-loss overlays!) but using it cleared up the issue for me.

Edited by kabill

I just edited it by merging it with a black washout. It's probably still red but since it has so little RGB component it is so dark it appears black. It should also be possible to remove just red to make it appear gray but I can't try for the moment.

Edited by Caaygun

I was thinking the same thing so I tried to make the lost overlay black.

Yeah, which files did you alter and how? I've not found a way to do that and even Chris said it's hard coded when I asked him about this issue months ago.