For the first time in a while, we're actually releasing a patch on time! It's also been authorised on Desura already, so that's good too.
V8.3 is mostly a stability fix for V8.2, fixing a whole bunch of issues - largely with the Save / Load. There's one or two issues (well, mostly things that are technically new features rather than fixes). Those are also listed below; we'll be working on them from tomorrow and they should be in V8.4 next weekend.
Also, we've (possibly unsurprisingly) made it into the IndieDB Indie of the Year Top 100. This means all the votes are cancelled and the count starts again. It'd be good to make it into the top 10 this year, so if you all could vote again that would be awesome - it only takes 5 seconds. Link below:
Final thing to mention - it's just occurred to me that we can probably rent a render farm to do all our sprite rendering rather than using my PC to do it. This would reduce the render time from something like a year to a couple of weeks. I'll keep everybody posted on that.
- Added final difficulty level uniform images to the Main Menu screen.
- Added a few items to the Scout UFO interior (rear saucer). There are still more to come but this should give a preview of the style.
- Basic Armour with pistol, rocket launcher, precision rifle etc no longer appear as Wolf-armoured troops.
- Terror sites now have icons on the map, so troops can be sent to them after the initial warning.
- Successful terror sites can now only be generated once a week. After this limit is reached UFOs will spawn with different missions instead.
- Stun rockets have been removed from the rocket launcher-armed soldier's starting loadout.
- It should no longer be possible to launch two simultaneous instances of air combat with a UFO by sending two interceptors in different squadrons at the same target simultaneously.
- The Radar Array now displays its name correctly.
- Menu tabs should now work properly on loading a saved game.
- Resaerch projects should no longer disappear on loading a saved game.
- UFO / Aircraft / Vehicle naming should work correctly on loading a save game and quitting then starting a new game from the title screen.
- Ghost UFOs should no longer appear over crash sites on loading a saved game.
- The Iron Man checkbox on the title screen should be clickable / mouseoverable on the text as well as the checkbox now.
- Keybindings now include the crouch / uncrouch key shortcut (bound to 'C' by default), as well as Select Soldier 10 and Select Vehicle 2.
- Keybinding options should now recognise keypresses on the Ground Combat.
- Keybrinding options should no longer be displayed as black text on a black background on the in-game menu (text is now white).
- Quitting from the Ground Combat should no longer cause a crash.
- Quitting a game to the Main Menu should correctly cancel the existing music and start the Main Menu music.
- Soldiers spin instantly on the spot now, instead of slowly rotating. They will stop-mid turn if they see an alien while rotating.
- If a unit blocks the path of a bullet (fully or partially) it will have its selection circle highlighted. This should make it clearer what is blocking shots - particularly where vehicles are concerned.
- Cursor on mouseover of aliens correctly displays red now.
- Cursor on mouseover of civilians correctly displays black now.
- The APs penalty (or lack of) is now correctly updated at the end of each turn.
- If AP Reserve prevents a unit from performing an action, there is now a pop-up window explaining this.
- AP Reserve cannot be activated for a weapon if the unit does not have enough AP to perform the desired fire mode
- AP reserve settings prevent units from firing during their turn now.
Unimplemented Features / Unfixed Bugs:
- Ground combat save / load is still not functional. I think we're nearly there but we're suffering issues with the engine's windowing system. Hopefully it'll be sorted by next week.
-If a UFO escapes to space after being engaged, there should be a 50% chance it reappears in the next UFO wave to try its mission again.
- We need to implement "Target Tracking Lost" and "Target Escaped into Space" messages for when UFOs that are being intercepted by aircraft disappear from the Geoscape for either reason.
- The soldier inventory disappearing secondary weapon (usually grenades) when a two-handed primary weapon is equipped bug is not yet fixed.
- Post-mission two-handed weapon weight penalty doubled bug is still active.
- If two research projects are finished at the same time, only one is shown in the Xenopedia.
EDIT - V8.35 released which fixes the rather critical "dropships not being able to attack landing sites bug".