(Mod Update) XNT Into Darkness V3.7 - "BlackDragon version" (New Aliens and weapons)

Damn it...

Sometimes I think the devs really made Xenonauts very modable in any aspect, but didn't made it to be easy...

I mean, adding new anims to this game is a pain in the ass not because it's hard, but because of the amount of files needed...

Yes you say it... thats the problem.

For now I'll not add new aliens and armors. The next steps focus on:

- Test Balance

- Add more advanced weapons for Plasma and Lasers.

- Add a Stungun

- Change the primary objective of the game.

- Try to add Video secuenses for multiple endings of the game.

- Improve game performance (Reduce amount of enemies and increase his quality?)

Any comment about current buikd will be welcome!

Edited by TacticalDragon

POOL QUESTION: COYOTE ARMOR COLOR

we are testing lot of colors and we want to ask community.

Which color did you choose and why?

Thanks! Your comments are pure gold for this mod developement.

Dark colors (black, dark gray, dark blue) tend to be more "tactically oriented" -- especially for night ops and the like. Maybe black with gray shading of some kind, so that it's not just SOLID BLACK?

Black and [any color] looks really good, actually. Black and gold trim/outline? Black and blue?

I think it depends on the "look" of the armor, too. If it's got more cloth/padding, like the Jackal, then darker "faded" colors could work well -- like blue with some faded parts on it. If it's more metal/exoskeleton suit, then more metal-like colors. A darker steel blue, for example.

TD, the problem with the Thunderbold starting with only 6 bullets instead of 8 still is present.

About Jackal armour new color... You pretend to keep Jsleezy jackal pic for the improved one, right? So why dont give the vanilla jackal armour graphics to the new one and made a grayer version of it for the common jackal armour? I think it will suit well the two armour big pictures, since making one of them, like, darkblue or something wont look very appropriate without also recoloring the big pic.

TD, the problem with the Thunderbold starting with only 6 bullets instead of 8 still is present.

About Jackal armour new color... You pretend to keep Jsleezy jackal pic for the improved one, right? So why dont give the vanilla jackal armour graphics to the new one and made a grayer version of it for the common jackal armour? I think it will suit well the two armour big pictures, since making one of them, like, darkblue or something wont look very appropriate without also recoloring the big pic.

Ill check the Thunderbolt issue. Yes it can be, about the coyote armour. For now we have Black, Grey and Dark blue.

EXPERIMENTAL UPDATE PACK NO.21

We want to improve player experience. we notice that in vanilla game and XNT game big alien ships take too long in some OS or some hardware configuration. This pack include some fixes:

- MAG and Plasma weapon damage has been increased a bit.

- Alien Warrior, Elite and Leader has been powered up

- The amount of aliens in a ship has been reduced for Crusiers and Battlecrusiers up to 15 elite powerfull units with unique script.

- New script added to the AI "Elite"

- Night Vision

Download and repack the game as normal.

UPDATED PACK V3.7H2

*Download on the main topic post has been updated

I ask to players to test big alien ships and alien turn improvement.

Ill check the Thunderbolt issue.

it's fine in weapons_gc.xml (set to 8)

but in weapons.xml the clipsize is set to 6. Changing the value there should fix it.

By changing the colour you mean the one in battle view? That seems like a hell lot of work, even if it's just a recolour.

I wouldn't opt for black/gray. Was my first thought too, but then again right after the coyote we have a black/grayish wolf armour. It makes things redundant and messy on the battlefield.

Navy blue would be the best imho, then the rookies would wear the old light blue uniforms, and the experienced, valuable xenonauts would get a dark blue uniform which sticks to the xenonaut tradition but distinguishes them at the same time.

Dark green isn't used in any of the armours either, I think. Isn't dark green the default of any modern army nowadays? Not sure if it wouldn't melt into the background of the grassy farm maps though.

Minor mod question btw:

what was your reasoning, flavour wise, when you set the maximum soldier age to 65? :D

I mean, weren't the funding countries supposed to send the very best troops? I do undestand >>>veterans<<<, but still. I can't imagine a 64 year old hauling a heavy machine gun :P. [bad joke on] Though that would explain all the panick attacks/going berseker in this mod. Those are probably just heartattacks/alzhaimers syndromes [bad joke off]

it's fine in weapons_gc.xml (set to 8)

but in weapons.xml the clipsize is set to 6. Changing the value there should fix it.

By changing the colour you mean the one in battle view? That seems like a hell lot of work, even if it's just a recolour.

I wouldn't opt for black/gray. Was my first thought too, but then again right after the coyote we have a black/grayish wolf armour. It makes things redundant and messy on the battlefield.

Navy blue would be the best imho, then the rookies would wear the old light blue uniforms, and the experienced, valuable xenonauts would get a dark blue uniform which sticks to the xenonaut tradition but distinguishes them at the same time.

Dark green isn't used in any of the armours either, I think. Isn't dark green the default of any modern army nowadays? Not sure if it wouldn't melt into the background of the grassy farm maps though.

Minor mod question btw:

what was your reasoning, flavour wise, when you set the maximum soldier age to 65? :D

I mean, weren't the funding countries supposed to send the very best troops? I do undestand >>>veterans<<<, but still. I can't imagine a 64 year old hauling a heavy machine gun :P. [bad joke on] Though that would explain all the panick attacks/going berseker in this mod. Those are probably just heartattacks/alzhaimers syndromes [bad joke off]

In the pack is already fixed the Morale system.

I'm inclined to Dark blue veteran soldiers I need to make some test.

How say taht person about 65 is in bad shape? xD a by unrealistic things can give flavor to Sci fi game.

You can use "Key Information" passing the mouse in the country to see how many resources did you get from it.

Sorry about all this updating, but make a good system require lot of balance and constant changes. If you are annoyed for the constants updates you tell me.

I am having another issue. It seems to had started with the previous build but still is present in the new one.

After something I'm not sure what, I cant build Workshops or Laboratories anymore. They dont show on the base screen.

I think it's probably related to the Base Upgrade tech, but I'm not 100% sure. If needed, I can post my savegame here.

Edited by Victor_Tadeu

I am having another issue. It seems to had started with the previous build but still is present in the new one.

After something I'm not sure what, I cant build Workshops or Laboratories anymore. They dont show on the base screen.

I think it's probably related to the Base Upgrade tech, but I'm not 100% sure. If needed, I can post my savegame here.

Send me the save file, workshops and labs dont need any tech. This bug has been reported to vanilla in other hand, but there is a way to fix it.

Send me the save file, workshops and labs dont need any tech. This bug has been reported to vanilla in other hand, but there is a way to fix it.

Will do! I will just end the UFO spawn I'm right now and will send you the file!

By the way, if you prefer to point me out a tuto of how to do it, I can do it by myself.

Also... I developed the perfect strategy to fight of vipers, delta vipers and gargols rushes!

It's called RRE: Retreat, Regroup, Explode! The name say it all! Hhahahaha! :cool:

Even newbie teams can fight them off now with no losses! They only return with ruptured eardrums. :P

First I need to say wao, your very skilled player, dealing with that trickery value and you have a relation income quiet high.

Good job!

I verify, this bug is caused by the save engine. When the ave is created dont save that you have unlimited permission for that building and change the save is almost... quiet possible. Maybe using a HEX editor but that takes ages!

What do you think about the Thunderbolt? Is LMG Zephyr OP or equivalent to lasers? Did you apply the last update?

Any comment is welcome, and again, very impressive skill.

New alien suggestion:

Do you remember the little blue aliens from X-Com Apocalypse? They run into you and explode.

Such aliens would be nice in here, its challenging to react to them before they reach you.

(Could be simulated with an AI script, that runs at you, plants C4 (or an Alien bomb) under your ass, and dont run away)

New alien suggestion:

Do you remember the little blue aliens from X-Com Apocalypse? They run into you and explode.

Such aliens would be nice in here, its challenging to react to them before they reach you.

(Could be simulated with an AI script, that runs at you, plants C4 (or an Alien bomb) under your ass, and dont run away)

Im making some test of secondary melee attack for sebillians, I add this test to the worklist.

Anyone test the battleship?

Im surprised that advamced ballistics are usefull along all the game.

Everyone remember this:

- Stun gas grenades has been improved

- EMP frenade stun damage has benn increased

I run all test with each alien leader and officers, now is possible to capture them. Is not easy but is possible.

First I need to say wao, your very skilled player, dealing with that trickery value and you have a relation income quiet high.

Good job!

I verify, this bug is caused by the save engine. When the ave is created dont save that you have unlimited permission for that building and change the save is almost... quiet possible. Maybe using a HEX editor but that takes ages!

What do you think about the Thunderbolt? Is LMG Zephyr OP or equivalent to lasers? Did you apply the last update?

Any comment is welcome, and again, very impressive skill.

Yes, yes! Last update is applied! About the income and relations... I think going early game for air superiority really have great advantages! Unfortunately I still lost a continent, but for my next game I have some best ideas about where to place starting bases that I think will solve it.

I like the Thunderbolt very much. It's not much an assault weapon since it shot kinda slow for close range, but it considerable middle range capabilities and excellent armour penetration for it tier make it essential to deal with, like, androns and vipers. I dont think the Zephyr is OP, I like it very much. I think the main advantage of it over the regular ballistic rifle is that one more shot in burst. It really is very handy! I already can produce lasers, but I didn't made any yet to make a comparison. I'm in the end of the month so saving money to dont go bankrupt.

About the current game laboratories and workshops... so, any suggestion of what can I do? What I need to search in the HEX editor? This bug is kinda gamebreaking since it prevents you from improving your bases... I will also do a thread in Bug Reports.

Edited by Victor_Tadeu

Yes, yes! Last update is applied! About the income and relations... I think going early game for air superiority really have great advantages! Unfortunately I still lost a continent, but for my next game I have some best ideas about where to place starting bases that I think will solve it.

I like the Thunderbolt very much. It's not much an assault weapon since it shot kinda slow for close range, but it considerable middle range capabilities and excellent armour penetration for it tier make it essential to deal with, like, androns and vipers. I dont think the Zephyr is OP, I like it very much. I think the main advantage of it over the regular ballistic rifle is that one more shot in burst. It really is very handy! I already can produce lasers, but I didn't made any yet to make a comparison. I'm in the end of the month so saving money to dont go bankrupt.

About the current game laboratories and workshops... so, any suggestion of what can I do? What I need to search in the HEX editor? This bug is kinda gamebreaking since it prevents you from improving your bases... I will also do a thread in Bug Reports.

Load a previous game saved of this game as soon as you detect this bug.

I found another ammo related inconsistency.

When you assing weapons in base the Zephyr displays as having a 24 round clipsize

in battle it's only 20.

I assume it should be 24? In that case weapons_gc.xml needs an update.

Other then that I find the new weapons pretty balanced and fun to use. By balanced I mean they do not replace the laser ones but serve along lasers. With all the mid tech unlocked my teams are usually around 50/50 in terms of laser/ balistic weapons as I like to have a mixed arsenal for all purposes. Even the old balistics weapons are sometimes in use when I'm training rookies as they have less recoil.

I agree with the thunderbolt being more of a mid range weapon atm. But Im cool with that. It seems the laser carabine or a shield and warhawk are better for close range missions. I didn't try dual warhawks yet. I'm technically playing the newest version, though with old saves, so I think I missed out on the coyote.

Load a previous game saved of this game as soon as you detect this bug.

Too late now... I dont have a save game before the bug. I didn't spotted it early enough. I will try to edit the files so the new laboratory and workshop are unlocked with another tech to see if this fix the problem for that save.

Too late now... I dont have a save game before the bug. I didn't spotted it early enough. I will try to edit the files so the new laboratory and workshop are unlocked with another tech to see if this fix the problem for that save.

Im working in this case deeply today, let me see what says the debugger analysis

I found another ammo related inconsistency.

When you assing weapons in base the Zephyr displays as having a 24 round clipsize

in battle it's only 20.

I assume it should be 24? In that case weapons_gc.xml needs an update.

Other then that I find the new weapons pretty balanced and fun to use. By balanced I mean they do not replace the laser ones but serve along lasers. With all the mid tech unlocked my teams are usually around 50/50 in terms of laser/ balistic weapons as I like to have a mixed arsenal for all purposes. Even the old balistics weapons are sometimes in use when I'm training rookies as they have less recoil.

Thats what I looking for :cool:

The general idea is avoid the lineality in the game in question taht you need diferent damage type to deal with differente alien races. In the vanilla game all is go straight to energy weapons and then change to ballistic at the end. In late Tier3+ game you usually carry MAG weapons and some plasma weapons to deal with energy weak aliens.

In vanilla version enemies dont have armor, only the andron has a bit.

I agree with the thunderbolt being more of a mid range weapon atm. But Im cool with that. It seems the laser carabine or a shield and warhawk are better for close range missions. I didn't try dual warhawks yet. I'm technically playing the newest version, though with old saves, so I think I missed out on the coyote.

This weapon is intented to deal with heavy armored units, is not an assault weapon, is balanced, not too slow but accurated, not as powerfull than sniper rigfles but in general better against armored. Putting 1 or 2 of this weapons as a secondary weapons is actually a good idea.

Thanks for your comments! :D