V22 Experimental 9 Released!

Quite ambivalent about some of these changes. Can't say that I like the idea of reducing alien crew sizes, particularly on terror missions, and then making them less aggressive on top of that. I might be in the minority here, but I LIKE big firefights, I like being pressured, and I've been missing having at least the occasional "zerg rush" now and then. I hope the challenge level isn't being emasculated.

Edit: I could see the reduced crew sizes on easy and normal, but veteran and insane...?

Edited by dpelectric

Shields are suposed to block 100% of the shots from the 45º cone in front of the soldier, right? Something is wrong, I have been hit from shots fired direct in front of the soldier with the shield, as it just don't exists! It makes the ufo breach a nighmare... :(

Question: the vehicles are acting as a mibile cover as suggested in some post somewhere?

Edited by Alexandre Lange

Quite ambivalent about some of these changes. Can't say that I like the idea of reducing alien crew sizes, particularly on terror missions, and then making them less aggressive on top of that. I might be in the minority here, but I LIKE big firefights, I like being pressured, and I've been missing having at least the occasional "zerg rush" now and then. I hope the challenge level isn't being emasculated.

Edit: I could see the reduced crew sizes on easy and normal, but veteran and insane...?

This. I know it's possible to customize a difficulty's settings in the files, but it'd be nice if it was possible a bit in the game itself. Sorta like with the Ironman Mode - perhaps having a means to adjust certain settings (increase/decrease aggressiveness, increase/decrease crew numbers, ect ect) by a margin compared to the baseline of the difficulty. That's assuming such a thing wasn't difficult to code and worth doing.

Shields are suposed to block 100% of the shots from the 45º cone in front of the soldier, right? Something is wrong, I have been hit from shots fired direct in front of the soldier with the shield, as it just don't exists!

That's happened to me ever since I started playing. Think it's become just sorta accepted

I could swear Chris said something about giving the humans the first turn after landing.

I think that was related to the Valkyrie, because you got the deployment phase and then an alien turn immediately after that, which made the Valkyrie actually a terrible upgrade.

I think the rule is that humans always get the first turn, but aliens start with full TU so they can reaction fire.

I played first 2 months this morning semi seriously (first time in weeks) and the game felt great! Can't think of many improvements anymore.

The AI is very unpredictable and tough and almost all graphical glitches are gone, well done! Only night time light sources are still a bit bugged (light posts have no gradient and flares might leave few lit tiles when LoS is gone.

Random thoughts:

• Aliens in scouts backroom tend to be a bit passive and look away from the door. (they should look at the door and could also peek through it time to time)
  • invisible, shot blocking tiles at the light scout doors are super annoying.
  • Aliens still "teleport" when coming out of the ufo.
  • I had a couple of tough situations but I hadn't a single panicking unit. Should it be easier for the noobs to panic?
  • I lost a jackal/shield guy to a single burst. These two equipment feel a bit too flimsy.
  • I had one case of "alien detected" icon showing when it shouldn't have
  • I was thinking, should the FoW be a bit wider now that we have the persistent system in place?
  • Some AI units still misses turns doing nothing...
  • ...which is kinda ok, as the game is HARD! :)
Edited by Skitso

Um... I just had a Corvette with a different layout than usual. Is this a new thing that wasn't mentioned in the patch notes, or have there always been alternate layouts? Either way that's an amazing addition, keeps things fresh after having assaulted the same damn UFO a dozen times by now!

Also, alien officers are now appearing in Corvettes. Alien officers have aliens grenades. Alien grenades make mincemeat out of Jackal armored soldiers. The corridor of doom was not kind to my men. I've never lost five at once before. I might have accidentally reloaded that one...

Um... I just had a Corvette with a different layout than usual. Is this a new thing that wasn't mentioned in the patch notes, or have there always been alternate layouts? Either way that's an amazing addition, keeps things fresh after having assaulted the same damn UFO a dozen times by now!

A few builds ago, they added in an additional UFO interior layout for each UFO type (not sure about Light Scouts, actually, but definitely the rest). Was surprised it didn't seem to be mentioned anywhere, though.

I played first 2 months this morning semi seriously (first time in weeks) and the game felt great! Can't think of many improvements anymore.

The AI is very unpredictable and tough and almost all graphical glitches are gone, well done! Only night time light sources are still a bit bugged (light posts have no gradient and flares might leave few lit tiles when LoS is gone.

Random thoughts:

• Aliens in scouts backroom tend to be super passive and look away from the door. (they should look at the door and could also peek through it time to time)

• invisible, shot blocking tiles at the light scout doors are super annoying.

• I had a couple of tough situations but I hadn't a single panicking unit. Should it be easier for the noobs to panic?

• I lost a jackal/shield guy to a single burst. These two equipment feel a bit too flimsy.

• I had one case of "alien detected" icon showing when it shouldn't have

• I was thinking, should the FoW be a bit wider now that we have the persistent system in place?

• Some AI units still misses turns doing nothing...

• ...which is kinda ok, as the game is HARD! :)

Sounds great, can't wait for the next stable version slash the official release, whichever comes first!

Shields are suposed to block 100% of the shots from the 45º cone in front of the soldier, right? Something is wrong, I have been hit from shots fired direct in front of the soldier with the shield, as it just don't exists! It makes the ufo breach a nighmare... :(

Still opening doors manually? Burstfire them open from angles noone can return fire. Way more effective.

Still opening doors manually? Burstfire them open from angles noone can return fire. Way more effective.

I like close quarters with shields and shotguns... ;)

I had a couple of tough situations but I hadn't a single panicking unit. Should it be easier for the noobs to panic?

I had one case of "alien detected" icon showing when it shouldn't have

My rookies panic sometimes. Not visible 'alien detected' happens all the time here.

Again: are the vehicles acting as a mobile cover as suggested by Chris somewhere?

Corner-protection/line of fire still needs some serious balance. Had a soldier behind a big rock, he could not see the Ceasan, but was shot by that one, through his shield.

Additional, the Ceasans in this mission walked right through the UFO-walls, without using the door. Faulty install or bug?

Corner-protection/line of fire still needs some serious balance. Had a soldier behind a big rock, he could not see the Ceasan, but was shot by that one, through his shield.

Additional, the Ceasans in this mission walked right through the UFO-walls, without using the door. Faulty install or bug?

Agree! sometimes is really weird the LOS calculation :S

About the first shield... I noticed sometimes units are shooted through it and it have a very low health, but I thought it was intended since you are using regular metals against energy weapons. I supposed that those problems went away when you develop better shields. So... do they?

If hits are going straight through the shield from the front without the shield having any effect, then I'm pretty sure that's a bug.

Otherwise, excess damage after the shield is destroyed carries through onto the soldier. Since the Assault Shield has a higher damage capacity, that would help with the problem.

I think shields should have an armor value, powerful shots (damage above the shield armor value) should transpasses the shield, degrade it, and the remaining damage should be aplied to the owner. I think that it could be implemented, as armor already behave like this. After totally degraded, it could be destroyed.

Until then, I made combat shield's hp = 150 and assault shield's hp = 250, and made the cones 60º (100%) and 120º (60%).

Honestly I feel there's another problem. The mid - late areal situation is too difficult. I might be wrong here but I still use the condor as a short - mid range patrol fighter, though even with a squadron of corsairs and marauders I feel the end game situation would be too difficult. I mean the enemies are just spamming carriers when this vessel probably took a lot of manhours, materials, and most importantly fuel to make, yet they're sending these things down like a zerg rush.

I feel a few things might allay this, perhaps the enemy could start sending their landing ships with a sort of automated corvette, instead of immediately escalating to a cruiser or even mix the two for a while longer before escalating to a full attack vessel. Maybe even only use fighters, heavy fighters, and interceptors for air superiority missions only. So when you cowboy up to take out the corvette guard, you're completely unready to take down an interceptor group.

Secondly I feel that the current air force could be enhanced, like the greatest failing of the foxtrot as a dog-fighter is it's inability to roll in combat and it's lack of cannon. Hey wait... didn't the corvettes and other alien ships have really precise thrusters that could make that happen and alien materials to make sure the craft didn't rip itself apart? :o!!! meet the foxtrot - E, a dogfighter model that has a cannon and can roll and dance in the sky. Not as much as the awesum marauder but until you get the materials and facilities for one, this can close the gap. What's that? The biggest problem with the condor is it's lack of speed and it's essentially weak firepower after it's missiles are gone? More of it's weak armor keeping it out of the fight? Well lets beef up the armor with these new materials we found and use an alieum/fuel hybrid to speed it up a little, and call it the F - 17X for fun. What? that's not enough? okay lets use a pure alien reactor and use even more alien materials. Hmmmm. I hear that the aliens use really complex alien electronics. Could that not support a feed system for say, an additional missile on each wing and then further armor upgrades. Lets call it the F - 17 E because the foxtrot got an E after being beefed up so why doesn't it?

I propose these enhanced Terran craft have to spend time in the workshop being enhanced, after being bought, or built outright. But I really don't see the xenonauts seeing these new alien craft and doing absolutely nothing to beef up their existing crafts while they bring the corsair and marauder into being. Just like I always wondered why they would leave their current ballistic weapons the way they are instead of using the alien tech to add sights, scanners, maybe even rangefinders in the very late game. lastly, I don't see why alien materials can't be used to make upgrades on the current jackal armor. Like come out with a 'coyote' armor, that has the light agility of the jackal, with some of the protection of the wolf but without that jet pack.

Hmmmm... that andron armor is pretty strong, though it doesn't seem to weigh down the andron that much. Maybe we could make it with these shiny new materials we got, and come out with a sort of 'fox' armor, all the strength of the wolf without the weight. Then we could have the juggy armor for heavier troops while the other troops can do what they do around the heavies.

These are just some thoughts I have from my recent play-through of this awesome game.

I haven't played the game for a while now and I'm really looking forward to having another go. I have one question though. Have the X-com base assault missions been fixed? Last time I played most of the aliens just congregated in a single room instead of actually attacking the control room itself.

Honestly I feel there's another problem. The mid - late areal situation is too difficult. I might be wrong here but I still use the condor as a short - mid range patrol fighter, though even with a squadron of corsairs and marauders I feel the end game situation would be too difficult. I mean the enemies are just spamming carriers when this vessel probably took a lot of manhours, materials, and most importantly fuel to make, yet they're sending these things down like a zerg rush.

I didn't feel that way at all, my playthrough ended up with production of more and more Marauders until I had three bases capable of sending full squadrons of them, or even multiple squadrons, and another base which held the weaker planes to mop up smaller UFOs if required. It was way too easy and I even discarded a Fury after building my first just because I didn't like it and it wasn't needed at all. Maintenance was not an issue with all the Carriers and Battleships downed to scavenge either.

Maintenance was not an issue with all the Carriers and Battleships downed to scavenge either.

I believe that's a large part of it; you can gain air superiority, but the price is accepting a certain grind factor in doing most of the ground missions for maximum $