Impossible Terror Mission!

Maybe I just don't have enough guys because I don't have enough to build the Shrike yet, or perhaps my loadout (2 shields, sniper, rocketeer, 4 carbines) is poor, but I am getting my ass handed to me multiple times (6th loss in a row). I can barely make it out of the Chinook because every alien converges on my squad by the 3rd turn. Also, I've counted 14 Sebillians, 4 or 5 Reapers, a light drone, and 2 heavy drones. Anyway, seems like there are a lot of aliens, they're all close to my landing zone, and they all rush me.

On a side note I really like how the Sebs mix it up with the grenade tosses, and the light drone suppression feels just right. They cause problems, but don't lock down my entire squad.

After 11 tries I beat it! And now I'm stuck on another one...

The major issue on these missions is that everything on the map attacks me at once. By the 4th or 5th turn I have 3 Reapers running at me, 6 to 8 Sebs, and 3 to 4 Drones. The Drones actually aren't too much of a problem, but the for every 2 or 3 Sebs I can kill 2 or 3 more run into battle. For every one Reaper I kill they turn at least one civie into one also. Even if I could build a Shrike and squeeze in 4 more guys the difficulty would be extremely steep.

Not sure, but I don't think every alien is supposed to attack at once are they? Anyone else run in to one of these missions?

I have these terror missions. My main problem with them is crashes, though, more than deaths. I also have all the aliens seemingly running at the space ship (which I kind of like, makes it sort of the alamo mission). Usually, because of the CTDs in this version, I reload to an earlier save to shoot down the terror ship instead.

I have these terror missions. My main problem with them is crashes, though, more than deaths. I also have all the aliens seemingly running at the space ship (which I kind of like, makes it sort of the alamo mission). Usually, because of the CTDs in this version, I reload to an earlier save to shoot down the terror ship instead.

Really? I just saw a different post by Stellar Rat where he said the same thing, he was getting constant CTD. As I mentioned to him, I've played 80-90 missions so far on v20 and v21 and had exactly ONE crash. This totally confuses me. How can I be getting almost none and other people are plagued by them? There has to be some kind of logical explanation

The major issue on these missions is that everything on the map attacks me at once. Not sure, but I don't think every alien is supposed to attack at once are they? Anyone else run in to one of these missions?

There's a pretty good discussion of this issue going on the Ground Combat Balance V22 Experimental thread. The devs have made the AI quite a bit more aggressive

Really? I just saw a different post by Stellar Rat where he said the same thing, he was getting constant CTD. As I mentioned to him, I've played 80-90 missions so far on v20 and v21 and had exactly ONE crash. This totally confuses me. How can I be getting almost none and other people are plagued by them? There has to be some kind of logical explanation
I didn't have problems with v21. V22 E1 is the one that's giving me headaches. If you haven't switched yet I wouldn't. However, I will say the AI in v22 is WAY better than v21. That's why Frank Walls is having such difficulties with the terror mission. The AI is REALLY good.

I didn't have problems with v21. V22 E1 is the one that's giving me headaches. If you haven't switched yet I wouldn't. However, I will say the AI in v22 is WAY better than v21. That's why Frank Walls is having such difficulties with the terror mission. The AI is REALLY good.

In terms of the system or coding V22 AI dont have too much differences is practical the same.

Only two values are different.

Pile driving the player with all your forces isn't exactly brilliant AI.

Well, it's not like they mindlessly charge through open field and get massacred.

You can pin them down as well, and stop their advance; force them to stay in cover.

Focus fire, prioritize drones and snipers.

And friggin take cover.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF you don't have snipers with Buzzards/Sentinels you're not playing the game right.

IF you're not using smokes and stun gas grenades you're not playing the game right.

IF you don't fit AT LEAST 2 soldiers with heavy weapons to suppress/pin down aliens, you're not playing the game right.

IF you're bringing rifles and shotguns to a terror mission, you're not playing the game right.

IF you're not bringing enough ammo to a terror mission, you definitely are not playing the game right.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't need to do this yet, but you can probably stuff your soldiers as much as you can with ammo and nades at mission prep, then drop the excess once you get into position and get TU back. If you need more, grab it.

Or use your Predators as pack mules, that i do.

IF you don't have snipers with Buzzards/Sentinels you're not playing the game right.

IF you're not using smokes and stun gas grenades you're not playing the game right.

IF you don't fit AT LEAST 2 soldiers with heavy weapons to suppress/pin down aliens, you're not playing the game right.

IF you're bringing rifles and shotguns to a terror mission, you're not playing the game right.

IF you're not bringing enough ammo to a terror mission, you definitely are not playing the game right.

These are reasonable points, but I think asserting that you're 'playing the game wrong' if you don't do them is an very much an overstatement. The point about not brining rifles/shotguns is especially contentious (I bring plenty of rifles and shotguns to Terror Missions and have never found this problematic). Equally, I've never used flying armour and never felt like it was missing.

So, I'd be cautious about arguing that these points constitute 'the' solution to Terror Missions. I'm sure together they constitute a perfectly viable approach, but it's not the only one by any means.

(I'll concede the point about ammunition, though!)

I do agree with Xenomorph on the importance of changing your troops loadouts for terror mission. Bringing short range weapons isn't too bright. I was going ALL heavy weapons until the Lt. Drone started "working". Now I go about half AR's and the rest heavy weapons. I would go all HW, but they can't fire if a drone suppresses them.

I'm not convinced that short-range weapons are useless in terror missions. I've found a couple of shotguns to be very handy, especially on high TU soldiers. I have a thing for shotguns, though, so maybe it's just that it suits how I play more.

Depending on the terrain shotguns/carbines can be very effective. I try and maneuver my guys so that the shotguns are hiding behind corners up front, and the sniper, rifles, and rockets hold back and provide cover. The problem I'm running in to is that there are 20+ guys rushing me at once, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the aliens never run out of ammo and never have to reload.

I just started over on v22ex1 because I got a game over, so I'll see how it progresses with a fresh start, but those terror missions kind of wiped me out. I was close to building a Shrike but just couldn't get the money up because all I was doing was fighting terror missions. Couldn't shoot down very many UFOs because my planes were all too slow, and basically lost all my nations.

Shotguns/carbines are pretty viable for terror missions, as they make good ambush weapons for when the aliens charge you. I got a couple of good reaction fire kills by hiding troops behind walls with a single gap; as soon as the aliens step though they are at short range and the shotgun's Initiative bonus means that they get the drop.

I'm surprised to see people not bringing shotguns on Terror missions. My usual Shrike Loadout is:

2x Shields (Grenadiers)

2x Carbine (+ Stun Weapons)

2x Heavy (with a rocket launcher)

4x AR (W/ Medics & Grenades)

2x Snipers

I'm only playing on Vet but I usually lose 1 Xeno on a terror mission average. I pair up a Carbine with a Shield and use them to clear buildings and for just about anything that would put a normal xeno in danger. The shields defence combined with the shotguns CC I usually have no problems indoors.

As for getting whacked on terror missions. It's most likely your play style that's running you into trouble. Against sheer numbers suppression is the only way to go. My heavy weapons get about 0 kills on terror missions, as they are there are fired inefficiently into groups in order to suppress. Sometimes my Carbine troops don't ever get to equip their rifles as they are moving and throwing a stun grenade every turn.

The only other thing I do that's successful on terror missions is right at the start. The first and second turns are usually passive for me.

High TU soldiers get into good spots and drop smoke for the others to set up. If you think your going to get rushed, throw gas grenades in the general direction of the alien attack so they can't get close to you.

So the three keys for people who don't like walls of text;

1. Throw smoke and gas, then get set up behind heavy cover.
  2. Suppressing a group is more important then picking off one alien
  3. Be patient!

Good luck - Remember its a good thing that Terror missions are difficult!!

Edited by Grazgul

1. Throw smoke and gas, then get set up behind heavy cover.

2. Suppressing a group is more important then picking off one alien

3. Be patient!

Great post and very informative.

I never thought of throwing gas for preemptive area denial. And I tried using heavy weapons in the beginning of my game, then immediately discarded them due to their inaccuracy; but now that I'm being rushed by like 8 androns at once, you're making me realize that was a mistake. Shotguns I also tried early and discarded, for the same reason; but now that I have soldiers with 90-100 TU who can get into ambush positions, I may rethink that too.

In fact, your post is going to make me seriously reconsider my GC strategy all the way around (it's not been going so well lately)