Game does not launch.

So, I received the game today as a gift for my birthday.

Downloaded it via steam. Go to launch.

Nothing happens.

The Process begins and steam tells me I'm playing it, then about a minute later, it ends and nothing else happens.

I've tried re-downloading it, using the legacy build, reinstalling my graphics drivers, rebooting, pretty much everything I can think of.

I searched the forums and used the -novideo addendum, and that still doesn't seem to help.

No error log, no launcher, nothing.

Any ideas?

Any extra information you can give would be useful.

Operating system version, graphics card type, are driver versions all up to date etc.

You could try the usual process of setting the Xenonauts exe to compatibility mode or run as admin and see if it makes any difference.

Easiest way to find it is to right click Xenonauts in your steam library, click properties, select the local files tab, and then click browse local files.

Any extra information you can give would be useful.

Operating system version, graphics card type, are driver versions all up to date etc.

You could try the usual process of setting the Xenonauts exe to compatibility mode or run as admin and see if it makes any difference.

Easiest way to find it is to right click Xenonauts in your steam library, click properties, select the local files tab, and then click browse local files.

I imagine it'll be easier to attach the DxDiag for this computer, it'll probably be asked for at some stage.

All drivers should be up to do. Graphics card, I updated this morning, so, that has to be so.

DxDiag can be found here.

And, yeah, I've done all that stuff. No luck, unfortunately.

Go into the options for the game and Verify the File Integrity to check you've got all the files you need. Once that's done, if it's not working you've probably got something weird going on with your PC hardware / software.

I've had a few people with this issue find it's their anti-virus software causing it, so I'd try temporarily disabling that to play the game. It sometimes kills the application before it loads up.

Go into the options for the game and Verify the File Integrity to check you've got all the files you need. Once that's done, if it's not working you've probably got something weird going on with your PC hardware / software.

I've had a few people with this issue find it's their anti-virus software causing it, so I'd try temporarily disabling that to play the game. It sometimes kills the application before it loads up.

Steam tells me the integrity is fine.

Anti-virus is off, I searched up on that.

Yeah, not sure.

Steam doesn't do any sort of first time setup, so, perhaps there's a prerequisite program I'm missing?

Any additional information could be useful.

Have you deleted local content and reinstalled completely?

Maybe try opting in to the optional experimental branch?

The game isn't significantly different but steam does download the new files so might pick up a problem it is normally missing.

A very long shot as you can guess.

I don't know if you can still access the game through another method, like the Desura downloads to try those.

Any additional information could be useful.

Have you deleted local content and reinstalled completely?

Maybe try opting in to the optional experimental branch?

The game isn't significantly different but steam does download the new files so might pick up a problem it is normally missing.

A very long shot as you can guess.

I don't know if you can still access the game through another method, like the Desura downloads to try those.

Yes, I have done these things.

I cannot access downloads on other platforms.

That's very strange. The game doesn't have any pre-requirements other than what is downloaded with Steam. Try the .exe files in the directory directly, see if they work.

If not, there's really nothing more I suggest. Can you get a refund from Steam? Give it a try. If not, email me directly (see my sig) and we'll sort something out.

At first glance, culprit is the GvOsd.dll, which is a part of Gigabyte OC Guru II Utility. That's what i found on the case:

Basically, with this software installed, anything with a launcher will crash. I go to install D3, it crashes at the launcher. Clicking "play" on Borderlands 2's launcher starts the game but crashes the launcher etc.

via [link]

There are more reports about this program conflicting with several games. If you do have it, try to disable/uninstall it (don't forget to reboot after uninstalling).

Edited by a333

At first glance, culprit is the GvOsd.dll, which is a part of Gigabyte OC Guru II Utility. That's what i found on the case:

via [link]

There are more reports about this program conflicting with several games. If you do have it, try to disable/uninstall it (don't forget to reboot after uninstalling).

Ah.

It would appear your wizardry is quite accurate.

Just had to close it, works fine now.

Well then!

Was it simple to figure out? I'd quite like to know how to go about resolving such things myself, if it's not too much trouble to explain.

Assumption was that since your crash is quite unique, it has something to do with your system feature, which could be rare hardware/driver error or some software conflict. If so, general dump analysis would give me something, at least library name.

It should be mentioned that beside such quick glance .dmp files are useless for everyone but developers since the source code is needed to analyze them properly.

There are plenty of ways to open dmp, including free view programs like Windbg. I've used Visual studio, it told me that exception was in GvOsd.dll, googled that, found utility name and number of reports about crashing games. That's all of it.