V19 Stable Rollback to Candidate 3!

V19 Stable contains quite a serious bug with lockups on the Hidden Movement screen. As it's Saturday and the team are not all near a computer, fixing this bug today does not look realistic.

We've therefore rolled back to Stable Candidate 3. The differences should be minor and hopefully should not break save games, but hopefully the hangs people were previously experiencing will now be fixed. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Cheers ketham!

If you were running a game in the 'stable v19' and then reverted back to 'sc3'... you're fine. You're saves will work as far as I have experienced. In fact... if you started with 'sc3' then continued on with the 'stable v19' and even after reverting back you're still good. Any other version and I think your saves are not compatible... you'll have to go a version before that.

Steam tells me I've been playing Xenonauts for 114 hours. I quite like the game being a fan of the original (and I quite like the new version too), but I love the way you are handling updates and being open about the work you do. It is quite a refreshing attitude. Getting to like the bugs since I know they will be squashed in a couple of updates :)

Thank you!

V19 Stable contains quite a serious bug with lockups on the Hidden Movement screen. As it's Saturday and the team are not all near a computer, fixing this bug today does not look realistic.

We've therefore rolled back to Stable Candidate 3. The differences should be minor and hopefully should not break save games, but hopefully the hangs people were previously experiencing will now be fixed. We apologise for the inconvenience.

a second x-com game coming on November was plastered all over pcgamer cover this month......also the month before was an INDIE special.... i looked in vane for xenonauts.... pc gamer is even pre-reviewing alpha games (which this is not ).

the new x-com looks really cool, they have changed a lot of of stuff and listened to the community regarding complaints from the first one.

FYI.

To be fair, they specifically tease in their interviews with the fact that they haven't told us everything yet. They might well change some geoscape mechanics at some point.

Example source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/interviews/10537-XCOM-Enemy-Within-Standalone-Expansion-Changes-and-Additions.2

"Gupta promises there will be more information leaked in the coming months."

If this 15-minute interview is anything to go by (

), we will see the introduction of a vehicle class by way of a aliens-esque dreadnought, extra boosts for existing soliders, some new baddies, some new maps. The sole actual change to gameplay seems to be a Second Wave option where cover becomes analogue rather than digital. I shall remember to pack an expendable rookie each mission whose job is to grab the one-time resource.

Look & Feel evaluation based on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9GCgvvQCT4

Very nice sound effects all over the Battlescape!

Monthly performance screen:

Great idea bringing back the XCOM datasheets in a new graphical representation, country funding this way looks clearer, more fun. Painted backgrounds looks nice! Fonts are too small. This is not a company financial sheet, were you want to hide values, this is a game, where fonts & numbers should be BIG like when Bingo or lottery draws are shown on TV.

Geoscape looks OK now.

Personnel / Training screen:

Fonts could be 2x bigger. Lots of unused space on those sheets. Same goes for Research screen.

Light Drone Wreckage screen:

Increase font size 2x 3x, text is way too much, maybe break it into more paragraphs or just try to be economic with words? Writing only interesting & enigmatic phrases?

"As the name implies ...[..]"

This first paragraph is completely unnecessary stating the obvious like:

"Looks like a cow of height, appears to have four legs, excretes at the back, eyes front and tongue suspected at front as well. It has been seen using a walking movement and our scientists suspect the creature "Cow" is capable of limited acceleration called running.."

It should have been:

"Saucer shaped recon drone equipped with light weaponry."

--

Dogfight

looks so curious in current state I would cut it out of the game entirely and replace it with the UFO DEFENSE solution. Try to increase sprite size of everything there by 2x or 3x or 4x? Player seems to have trouble selecting tiny craft icons. Frankly interceptors are not really easy to see.

Battles at crash sites is still the strongest part of this game. Painted background look nice. Few other parts, some screens, sub-par soldier equipment screen and sub-par base building screens and the data-sheet management screens detract from entertainment value mainly by their looks and small fonts dangling in large sheet-spaces.

Edited by mercy

Dogfight

looks so curious in current state I would cut it out of the game entirely and replace it with the UFO DEFENSE solution. Try to increase sprite size of everything there by 2x or 3x or 4x? Player seems to have trouble selecting tiny craft icons. Frankly interceptors are not really easy to see.

Have you tried zooming in?