Here's a weird question! How many of you name a soldier after yourself?

Hmm Xenonauts soldiers could well be the new definition of expendable :P

That's what I was thinking. I would not want to name a soldier with my name only to have him killed in action. Bad luck.

I don't grow attached to my soldiers, if they die I just hire new ones. So their names only matter as a reference to who they are.

I always wanted to re-name them in Enemy Unknown, but I never did, because every time I did they'd die immediately. I would technically re-name them so I could put a tag on the end of their name in the early game, before everyone was using Heavy Plasma so I could keep track of who was using what gear, like (SCT) on the end for my Pistoleer/Scout characters, and (HVY) for Heavy or Auto Cannoneers, etc etc.

I actually tested it on my last play through of Enemy Unknown, testing the average life-span of a re-named soldier and one not re-named. I managed to keep the 6 of my starting 8 soldiers alive until the very last mission, and of those remaining 6, 4 survived the final mission, including my original Commander, thanks to the intervention of re-named squaddie's... My Commander oddly enough, without my intervention, ended up being Commander Shepard. Probably explains why I did so well that game, Cmdr. Shepard knows how to deal with Aliens after all.

I did name some soldier using their stat but then, with progression, they need to get updated.

Eventually I started naming some using Nickname or leaving their original name on.

Now I manage the names of my soldier these way:

If the soldier Stats are low with low bravery : Name Is erased, the Soldier is used in the most dangerous position where he is the most likely to die. If he get lucky and his bravery progress over a minimum, he get a name or a nickname.

Soldier bravery stat is normal : Name is left as it is.

Soldier bravery is high : Earn a Nickname that fit his natural stat. Ie very hig bravery = Iceman, Very high Accuracy Sniper Dude, ect. Usually in the position to survive combat and earn most kill.

Also, i change tag after some time. May be 3 months of game time. For me first two or three letters ar particularly important. With my game stile bravery is not that critical. I use, for long range, precise single shot aim and kill, for short range, burst fire with predominance of firing and cover fire. Soldiers moving in close formation, but in that distant when granade is not that dangerous. Hunter is perfect cover for four men team.