Lets be realistic - most of the game is about soldiers

Most of the game you are in battles, like 80-90% of the time, I think we really should get some quality of life and role-playing features for soldiers:

• Traits that you can gain in battles (including PTSD from battles that you can heal)
  • Training ground for soldiers to train their skills
  • Randomly generated background stories for soldiers
  • Bar/Canteen for soldiers where you can view fallen soldiers (same as in Xcom2)
  • More customization for soldiers
  • Unique characters that you can save or recruit
  • New soldiers types - pilots for aircraft
  • Etc.

I mean, you can get Xenonauts for 5 eur right now, there is no point of doing the exact same copy with very minor improvements and variations. 

You wont achieve Xbox2 wotc success, but its a good chance to achieve a solid second place instead of a solid 6/10.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Skitso said:

Have you even played this game. XD

Not yet, just bought it, but I wont play it until its out of early access, cant bother to be a beta tester and pay for it.

I've seen some gameplay footage and its quite simplistic so far. Solid basics, but no "wow" moments. I have hundreds of hours in Xcom (including classic) and Xcom2, tho. I know my way around tactical games.

Game has a good potential to become a great game. That is - If we are delivered more than I've seen so far and whats on the official roadmap (basically just new maps and tech).

With what points do you disagree?

Edited by xnaout

Well, we have a place to see fallen soldiers, we have missions to rescue experienced soldiers, we have training grounds for soldiers, we are propably getting more soldier customization later in the development etc.

As for traits and roleplaying stuff, keep them out of my mil-sim.

And do name any other direct sequel with more additions and improvemets than this. @xnaout

Edited by Skitso

16 minutes ago, Skitso said:

Well, we have a place to see fallen soldiers, we have missions to rescue experienced soldiers, we have training grounds for soldiers, we are propably getting more soldier customization later in the development etc.

As for traits and roleplaying stuff, keep them out of my mil-sim.

And do name any other direct sequel with more additions and improvemets than this. @xnaout

"We", "My" --> Are you part of the team?

If not, then with all due respect, I am not suggesting any additions to you, but to developers who are free to ignore or cherry-pick anything from a paying customer's feedback.

Since you have 2.4k posts here, its clear you care about the game and get very defensive if anyone "offends it", but lets not be childish here, carry on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, xnaout said:

"We", "My" --> Are you part of the team?

No, I'm not.

And I'm not defensive or offended, just pointing out stuff you clearly didn't know is in fact already in the game.

Edited by Skitso

2 hours ago, xnaout said:

Most of the game you are in battles, like 80-90% of the time, I think we really should get some quality of life and role-playing features for soldiers:

• Traits that you can gain in battles (including PTSD from battles that you can heal)
  • Training ground for soldiers to train their skills
  • Randomly generated background stories for soldiers
  • Bar/Canteen for soldiers where you can view fallen soldiers (same as in Xcom2)
  • More customization for soldiers
  • Unique characters that you can save or recruit
  • New soldiers types - pilots for aircraft
  • Etc.

I mean, you can get Xenonauts for 5 eur right now, there is no point of doing the exact same copy with very minor improvements and variations. 

You wont achieve Xbox2 wotc success, but its a good chance to achieve a solid second place instead of a solid 6/10.

Thanks. I think the reason why Skitso is coming across as defensive here is because people who haven't played the game often complain about it being the exact same thing as X1 with very minor changes, while people who have actually played the game generally tend to be happy with how significant the changes are.

Honestly, I think you're probably smart to wait until the game comes out of Early Access to play it because that's when it'll give you the best experience, and I appreciate you showing your support for the team in the meantime by buying it anyway, so thanks for that. But just bear in mind that reading a list of changes really doesn't give much of a feel for the scope of the changes. 

As for your suggestions - we've got a few of them already (memorial screen and training center), and depending on what you mean by "more customisation" we may add that before launch too.

However, while it's possible we'll lean more into the roleplaying aspect of the soldiers in future expansions, remember that classic X-Com games work on a much larger scale than moden XCOM games, and when the player is bringing squads of 12 or 16 soldiers into battle (rather than squads capping out at 6) and frequently taking heavy casualties it can rapidly get tiresome to have to manage traits and stress etc for each individual soldier as well as their stats. I know this because we actually had a basic Stress system in the game, but I disabled it for that reason.

Potentially it's fine for a DLC because then players who want that level of detail can voluntarily opt into it. But forcing it on everyone seems like a bad idea; it runs the risk of making X2 a very hardcore game and limiting our audience.

Some of the OP's points are good, especially the one about pilots. But many of this have been alpha/beta testing for years now and still play it. Is it perfect? No, but it's not finished yet. But it's still fun to play even after clocking up thousands of hours. 

• Like 1

Thanks, that's fair feedback and clarifies the situation about the game quite a lot.

I didn't realize squads are 12-16 in size, that's a lot to deal with. But some customization still would be nice, there are a lot of players who tend to "care' about their toy soldiers (that's why Xcom2, Jagged Alliance 3, Wartales and so on bets hard on this kind of features, it sells).

Thanks once again for the reply.

PS. Maybe stress level still can be left in as optional toggle for hardcore gamers?

17 hours ago, Emily_F said:

Some of the OP's points are good, especially the one about pilots. But many of this have been alpha/beta testing for years now and still play it.

Pilots  are missing, right.

1. Pilot should sit in his cabin and control MARS robot platform or machine gun of the chopper. This way he could do one or the other. Every landing  copper has some machingun, so it can  cover landing troops. I thing  this  moment  is somewhat  missing yet.  Also it explains, why you cant  use a more MARS platform on a mission than one. Simply becouse  you need  a skill of pilot  to controll it.

2. Make sure  pilot has  no optical glasses ! I have seen a pilot   with glasses even for fighter jets,  that is nonsense.  Also make sure, that  pilots in fighter jets are young. It  is  proven that reaction time goes down with age.  Fighter  pilots has short   career same as ballerinas.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chris said:

while it's possible we'll lean more into the roleplaying aspect of the soldiers in future expansions, remember that classic X-Com games work on a much larger scale than moden XCOM games, and when the player is bringing squads of 12 or 16 soldiers into battle (rather than squads capping out at 6) and frequently taking heavy casualties it can rapidly get tiresome to have to manage traits and stress etc for each individual soldier as well as their stats. I know this because we actually had a basic Stress system in the game, but I disabled it for that reason.

I am glad you are aware of "improvements" which are downgrade for  majority.

Although a simple stress  system similar to first Darkest Dungeon include psychosis diseases might  be fun for  DLC.