okey I guess I'm startin' to get annoying here... ^^ ... If I enter now my gift-key in Desura, does that automatically mean that the option to play it on steam vanishes? ... cause i really want to play it on steam later...

I think the plan was for people to get to choose between Steam and Desura after the game is released.

I could be wrong, but I always figured that even pre-order customers who prefer Desura as their digital distributor of choice would receive new product activation keys once the game is finished, which is why the pre-release versions are referred to as "Xenonauts Preorder" on Desura.

Edited to add: Beaten to it by the Head Honcho himself. This is what happens when you decide to go shopping for chocolate and finish the post afterwards.

Edited by iamkyon
My sweet tooth was my downfall.

One thing I've just noticed is when I uninstalled my game and looked the changelog it said v8.2 but when I installed the game the changelog said v8.1. Still find it odd that some people can download the new version and others can't.

I wondered about this first too, then I noticed the V8.2 changelog was only for the normal pre-order version, which was sent for approval earlier. When you install the game, it only shows the changelog for your version of the game.

So far I am not too impressed with Desura. My first time using them is with Xenonauts. Seems as though they are a bunch of young people and more into partying then getting their business off to a good start. I may be wrong and at least we got to download the game from them, but I can't wait to put this game on steam which has been on my hard drive for some time and had very little problems with them, they are quick and reliable non interfering and have excellent deals-even on indie games.

Right, I've just published the premium pre-order changes. Really I should have done them first but I tend to upload to the standard pre-order branch first because so many more people are in that group. Sadly once the upload was done I went to the pub and forgot about publishing the changes from my smartphone, which was the plan - so that's only just happened now. Hopefully it won't be too long till it's authorised.

In the meantime I'm going to go back to bed because I'm nursing a colossal hangover :(

That's simply bad business. I know the premium pre order is more for when the game gets released but to say you take care of the regular preorders because there are more of them just makes no sense to me. Are you saying I should've got the regular preorder to get earlier access to the game? This should've been explained before I forked over my $30.

That's simply bad business. I know the premium pre order is more for when the game gets released but to say you take care of the regular preorders because there are more of them just makes no sense to me. Are you saying I should've got the regular preorder to get earlier access to the game? This should've been explained before I forked over my $30.

Seems like... Pretty ordinary business practice/common sense to me.

Besides I'm a premium pre-orderer and I've had access to it since 11 AM (possibly before, but I was asleep). I think Desura are to blame here.

Yeah preorderers are essentially equal, the only difference is that premium preorderers decided to put more money towards the game for certain perks like the name tag etc. Getting the builds earlier wasn't part of that deal, so it's a bit silly to expect all of the perks. I too am a premium preorderer, and I have no qualms about Chris sending it to the masses first. That's just smart.

It does seem off that they are uploaded separately though.

Seems like... Pretty ordinary business practice/common sense to me.

Yeah not so much. You should look up basic business and common sense. Clearly neither were applied here. Agreed that Desura is to blame. Their validation process seems very tedious.

Edited by Larz1695

Yeah preorderers are essentially equal, the only difference is that premium preorderers decided to put more money towards the game for certain perks like the name tag etc. Getting the builds earlier wasn't part of that deal, so it's a bit silly to expect all of the perks. I too am a premium preorderer, and I have no qualms about Chris sending it to the masses first. That's just smart.

It does seem off that they are uploaded separately though.

Those who who paid more should get the newer builds before those who didn't. THAT'S common sense AND good business. Taking care of your customers who paid more for a premium experience. If the "masses" wanted it sooner they should've paid for it. The seperate release seems odd to me as well. Both versions are under the same Desura game page. Seems simple enough to tag the one upload for both versions. I guess Desura doesn't allow it.

Edited by Larz1695

No, I don't think that is smart just because you say so. The supporters giving more money are the ones he wants to take care of first and you sound a bit foolish as if you'd be happy if he took all your money and gave you nothing in return so he could better promote his game and make more money so you could say "cool he was smart hes making lots of money and that's all one should do

and I supported him in this."

Problem with so many products -the quality is crap- and many don't care they just want to blindly feed the businesses lots of money and help them be successful.

Anyways, Chris, never implied that he intentionally gave the majority and the new customers the download first because he thought it was good for business as you are implying.

He wrote that it just happened that way and that maybe he should have done it the other way.

And yes its Desura's fault. Maybe they will wake up tomorrow sometime and validate it for our updates and maybe they should look into all the red tape crap or just skip the dam validation process especially since they can't seem to manage it!

Edited by Sathra
fixed quote

Those who who paid more should get the newer builds before those who didn't. THAT'S common sense AND good business. Taking care of your customers who paid more for a premium experience. If the "masses" wanted it sooner they should've paid for it. The seperate release seems odd to me as well. Both versions are under the same Desura game page. Seems simple enough to tag the one upload for both versions. I guess Desura doesn't allow it.

But you see that's not what you pay for. Either way you pay to test the game, and get it when released. If you pay more, you get the benefits of more, which has never included getting it first. If that was part of the deal, then I'd understand your gripe, but getting it to more players first, and therefore allowing a larger audience to test your game, and remove all the bugs so that the final version is as best as possible, THAT (as you so eleoquently put it) is common sense AND good buisiness. Getting more people to find bugs is always better than giving it to fewer people, especially when you didn't say you'd do it the other way around.

I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but wasn't it only delayed by a few hours anyway? What's the big deal?

But you see that's not what you pay for. Either way you pay to test the game, and get it when released. If you pay more, you get the benefits of more, which has never included getting it first. If that was part of the deal, then I'd understand your gripe, but getting it to more players first, and therefore allowing a larger audience to test your game, and remove all the bugs so that the final version is as best as possible, THAT (as you so eleoquently put it) is common sense AND good buisiness. Getting more people to find bugs is always better than giving it to fewer people, especially when you didn't say you'd do it the other way around.

I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but wasn't it only delayed by a few hours anyway? What's the big deal?

Why don't you people just shut up?! Hein?! Seriously, i can't believe that people are already venting their "uhhh i paid 30$ and that makes me better than you"... "so i want the download of a still bugged build RIGHT NOW not after the others... because i'm premium"

Premium is not a thing to wave in the air to make you look better than others. It's a leap of faith and support to Xenonauts, at least thats the way i see it. I don't care a fucking bit if standard orders get authorized 1st to download over premium, all i care with all seriousness is that Chris and his team are able to pull it off, and by the looks it's not going to be a easy task.

Common guys... "battling" over a few hours 1st privilege download, over a pre-beta buggy, 10% done game build is stupid?! Plain and simple.

Edited by Aelius

Why don't you people just shut up?! Hein?! Seriously, i can't believe that people are already venting their "uhhh i paid 30$ and that makes me better than you"... "so i want the download of a still bugged build RIGHT NOW not after the others... because i'm premium"

Premium is not a thing to wave in the air to make you look better than others. It's a leap of faith and support to Xenonauts, at least thats the way i see it. I don't care a fucking bit if standard orders get authorized 1st to download over premium, all i care with all seriousness is that Chris and his team are able to pull it off, and by the looks it's not going to be a easy task.

Common guys... "battling" over a few hours 1st privilege download, over a pre-beta buggy, 10% done game build is stupid?! Plain and simple.

We're not talking about a few hours don't you know what's going on here many of us still haven't received the update.

I have given more money in support of this project-where else are we going to find "an X-com like game"- in hope that it will enable them to do an even better job and that they may succeed, nevertheless, I am not here to be a toady.

Edited by windex

Its at least 50% done Aelius, but otherwise...pretty much what I was going to say. I would have been nicer about it though. :)

Yes, its annoying, but having to wait a whole extra day isn't a massive loss. Calm down. And yes, I do know the feeling, Steam releases stuff to Aus about a full day after the US. That and Chris always seems to be a day behind by my perspective (International Date Line shenanigans). Relax, take a step back from the situation and put it into perspective.

Standard pre-orderers are a larger subcriber base, and Desura probably requires the two to be split in case of the Team wanting to add extras.

Why do these arguments only start when I'm asleep ><.