Xenonauts Wiki

I'm surprised people haven't added more to the wiki - i.e. types of known ships, enemies, weapons, etc.

Or is this all on hold until release of the full game?

I guess I'm obsessed with this game and just want to read about it while I'm at work, away from those damn Caesians and their ever annoying squadrons of heavy fighters.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On topic with the a Xenonauts wiki.

In some of my spare time I created a new Xenonauts wiki, mainly because the one we have is "limited" in a lot of information it has currently. I don't claim to be a good wiki creator, but I think the information this wiki contains a lot more useful information than the official wiki, at least at this time. (Though there is still some nice info on the official wiki I have yet to adapt).

Link here for anyone interested.

The only concern I have depends on whether people round here are going to still contribute to the other wiki. This means we end up duplicating a lot of information needlessly.

Now, I couldn't even get into the other one, so I'm up for whichever one is available to be edited. Any thoughts on beign able to add to the original wiki anyone?

Plus points for the original one is it's probably easier to read (white background) and there's no ads.

Plus points are that the new one is more independent, which is a personal preference, and the nice graphic background.

I went to a bit of trouble to get that background to work correctly. Also anyone can edit the new wiki even without an account, while I don't think the old one allows anyone to edit it for now.

However as I stated the reason why I created this new wiki was because the old one has not been changed for a long time and does not contain a lot of new information or more in depth information about the game (UFO types, weapon damage, species info, etc). Besides I enjoyed going through the game's files and compiling this information into something easy to read (I hope).

Yeah, it's nice to see the big graphic there. Good job on that. Perhaps someone who has updated the original one, could let us know if there are still plans for it?

I think a lot of folks were just waiting for the Beta to roll along, so they could update the files less often than when in the alpha stage.

Surely it would have been easier to add something to the existing wiki if it was missing rather than create a new one?

A lot of the info you have added to your wiki would also not have been added to the existing one because it was not available in the released versions so far.

I hadn't added any of the alien races or top tier weaponry, for example, because some consider it spoilers.

That would be down to the people who are contributing to it though.

You may have decided to add that info to the wiki if you felt it was important to have there.

I don't know about creating new accounts (as I already have one so can't test it) but the existing wiki does allow editing at the moment.

*edit* Also Chris had to roll the wiki back recently as it got a little bit overtaken by some spam bot I believe.

A good reminder to always keep a copy of anything you post into a public wiki in case you need to replace it.

I think perhaps it's that you can't add anything to the existing wiki, that prompted the other one. At least, if you haven't already got an account.

I just gave it another attempt. There's a confirmation question, that it seems to keep getting hung up on. If you click the little help link attached to that, you get:-

Fatal error: Call to a member function cookiesNeeded() on a non-object in /home/ctbaker/xenowiki.goldhawkinteractive.com/extensions/ConfirmEdit/QuestyCaptcha.class.php on line 67

So it could be down to whatever is causing that, and how easy it is to fix.

I didn't see anything allowing me to simply edit without an account. I'm quite glad that's the case. I've also not seen anythign to suggest that the wiki was closed to new account either.

I agree on spoilers. I haven't actually read much of the other wiki, due to a little spoiler faux pas of Steelpoint's earlier in the week :)

I was under the impression that roll backs could potentially happen in any wiki, so didn't pop that one down as a minus point. If it doesn't happen elsewhere, then it would be.

Like I said, I had the feeling everyone was waiting for Beta before getting going with it. But it would be nice to know where you could contribute to, one way or another.

Unfortunately avoiding spoilers is a bit difficult to do, I could add a unique symbol next to a page link that has potential spoilers though.

Another reason I thought that creating this wiki now is that it would be easier to add further information and corrections later on, if for example the crew compliment of a UFO is changed (As is what is going to happen in the new patch) then all that is needed is a simple number change.

Also all the needed pages will have already been created.

I can tell you that the following pages, and their sub pages contain spoilers, however some of that info will also not be a spoiler. Every other page is clear.

- Xenonauts Craft

- Equipment

- Alien Life Forms

- UFO's

*EDIT* Oh and also "Base Facility's". As well as the "Alien Base Attack" page. Don't look at those.

*EDIT2* I should also note that the last recorded activity on the old wiki was about the 2nd December of 2011.

Edited by Steelpoint