Xenonauts and copy protection

Hey guys, bare with me ive just had a horrible expreience.

Ive reinstalled xenonauts after not have played for a couple of versions, half way through playing it gave a crash with the telltale cut out in the middle of a sound being played.

After win 7 not being able to start numerous times, with it attempting to repair itself. i finally took things into my own hands and fixed it partially.

The problem. Starforce copy protection.

Long story short, has Xenonauts used or ever used starforce copy protection during the alpha?

if so its caused me a a good few hours of annoyance trying to fix the damn thing.

I checked the Xenonauts Kickstarter page because I'm sure Chris said something about DRM there,. Lo and behold, when the Kickstarter was funded...

WOW! Fully funded in just over two days! Thanks guys, you are incredible. Xenonauts will now have a DRM-free version at release, and Premium Preorder ($30+) and above will also get a free digital novella by Lee Stephen! More details in our Updates tab!

So, no, Xenonauts can't possibly be using Starforce, because what would be the point in paying for and using DRM tools in the alpha, when you're going to throw it away on release?

Edited by Max_Caine

Long ago Chris mentioned something about "personal verification protection" (pvp) saying we'll have to fly to London to prove to him in person that we have in fact bought the game.

After that, whenever the issue of DRM would come up, Chris would simply post pictures of himself working out in a gym so I'm not sure if his stance has changed or not. I must say he's gotten pretty buff though, would prefer not to have any pvp issues with him if I can help it.

After that, whenever the issue of DRM would come up, Chris would simply post pictures of himself working out in a gym so I'm not sure if his stance has changed or not. I must say he's gotten pretty buff though, would prefer not to have any pvp issues with him if I can help it.

what were you guys doing on the old forums :)

I've not noticed anything other than Norton objecting to the .exe files in the time I've had the builds. I'd be surprised if there were any, considering the comments made through Kickstarter.

Nope, it doesn't use any copy protection and never has but Norton does occasionally throw a tantrum about it for some reason.

This happens simply because antivirus programs treat every .exe file with suspicion, especially one that is not digitally signed. I can recall making simple C++ programs for my programming classes and even a simple AVG Free antivirus software would warn me about the program for something as simple as rewriting a text file. So no need to worry about AV tantrums.