PLEASE add an option to auto-resolve air/ground combat!

spinaljack: A separate difficulty and a slider are for me different things, and mods are not even relevant to the discussion imo. Mods aren't the devs responsibility. If a slider is supposed to be implemented it should most likely have been thought of from the start to not be hazardous to the game experience.

This isn't really relevant to the option of skipping things though. skipping and tweaking are another 2 things that's completely different to me.

Auto-resolve is a play style choice, if someone wants to speed up their game while staying within the game mechanics (collecting battle rewards and risking soldiers). Particularly useful for repeated play throughs and you just want to get to a certain stage in the game and you want to skip tedious or irritating sections of the game.

Modding support is an extra effort the developer puts in to allow greater ways for players to customise their game. Don't be fooled into thinking it's easy or just happens. It's a concious decision to put development time on exposing game variables. They could easily have embedded all the data files into the executable and you'd never get access to them. Custom game settings just lets someone add variety to their games without learning to mod. You get them a lot in strategy games to add re-playability.

This is all related to how a person wants to play a game. If they want auto resolve it doesn't affect your game in any way so you don't need to dictate how they play or tell them to stop playing.

Also there is never enough loot or xp.

Well said spinaljack. I can't believe the massive whining this simple feature request has caused. If you don't want to use auto-resolve then DON'T!! But don't ruin it for the rest of us who want it. Also, if anyone here who wants this feature hasn't voted in my poll yet, please do so, so that the devs will hopefully be encouraged to implement this most vital of features.

Well said spinaljack. I can't believe the massive whining this simple feature request has caused. If you don't want to use auto-resolve then DON'T!! But don't ruin it for the rest of us who want it. Also, if anyone here who wants this feature hasn't voted in my poll yet, please do so, so that the devs will hopefully be encouraged to implement this most vital of features.

I voted in your poll.

I also posted few paragraphs of why I'm against having auto resolve for ground battles, namely, Xenonauts should when in beta and after having recieved some balancing, never put you in a position where a battle is either going to go one way with 99% certainty (which I agree with you, like in Total War games, when that situation pops up, auto resolve is a time saver).

Chris has also said he's thinking about adding a "nuke from orbit", the caveat being if you don't risk your troops, you don't get the loot or the funding rewards. I think that's the better option if you want to skip ground combat.

Then again, I am an EvE Online Player, so I'm rather fond of Risk vs Reward concept in games.

Edited by Buzzles

Modding support is an extra effort the developer puts in to allow greater ways for players to customise their game. Don't be fooled into thinking it's easy or just happens. It's a concious decision to put development time on exposing game variables. They could easily have embedded all the data files into the executable and you'd never get access to them. Custom game settings just lets someone add variety to their games without learning to mod. You get them a lot in strategy games to add re-playability.

You're right I didn't think that comment about modding through. my bad.

This is all related to how a person wants to play a game. If they want auto resolve it doesn't affect your game in any way so you don't need to dictate how they play or tell them to stop playing.

Also there is never enough loot or xp.

I was actually trying to say that I wasn't arguing against the auto-resolve feature when I was arguing with you about sliders and multiple tweaking options. For me that was a separate argument unrelated to the topic of this thread. Either I did not manage to rely that properly or you are putting words in my mouth. (strawman argument?)

:) You act as if this is some kind of democracy. It's all up to Chris in the end. :P

By arguing against it people are really just giving you the opportunity to make your case that much stronger. Instead you over exaggerate and say people are whining about it.:( If your thread had been ignored or only posted in by people saying stuff like "+1" your chances of getting it would be much slimmer. You should welcome the discussion instead of getting annoyed by it. :D

Edited by Gorlom

• 4 years later...
13 minutes ago, Zarr said:

Four years later ....

I am also looking for a ground combat auto resolve. Is there anything new? Maybe a mod?

Nope, and this propably will never get implemented.

Can you elaborate on why this is necessary, as this seems to me like people who say that on a proffessional level 70% of all chess games end in remis (EDIT: Draw ), so lets just roll a 10 sided dice and go home.

Edited by Charon

I can't see this being implemented.

Ground combat is the central part of the game. Without it, you're left with a base-building game that's quite easy to figure out and a mediocre air combat minigame. The airstrike feature is in the game so you can have some gains when you choose not to go on combat missions.

You can ask in the modding forum... it wouldn't be difficult to put a mod like that together by yourself, especially if you describe what you want in a bit more detail. For instance you could easily make all research and manufacture take half the time. I don't see how having less UFOs would make the game significantly faster, you don't have to assault all of them anyway.

13 minutes ago, Zarr said:

Thanks

Is there a Mod for less UFOs, or faster research, or faster upcoming game progress, so I can play a game in half the time?

It's not easy to make the game faster.. even you go half for everything, you need to fight same numbers at ufos and big ufos and bases got many enemies inside. You can delete some crews too but the game would lose the meaning..

44 minutes ago, Solver said:

You can ask in the modding forum... it wouldn't be difficult to put a mod like that together by yourself, especially if you describe what you want in a bit more detail. For instance you could easily make all research and manufacture take half the time. I don't see how having less UFOs would make the game significantly faster, you don't have to assault all of them anyway.

The only difference between airstriking a crashsite, or not, is the captured tech, and the money. So simply increasing airstrike money, make the UFOs drop alloys and alenium on shootdown or any other item needed, is the sweet spot for an autoresolve. This way you can only need to assault UFOs for tech, which can minimise the GC to a minimum of 3 campaigns.

An autoresolve mod wouldnt be hard to make

• Increase money gain per crashsite
  • implement every single item drop on shootdown, including some alloys and alenium. But any other item can get dropped this way as well, inlcuding singular reactors, grenades, weapons, etc ... .
  • The  soldier experience would be the hardest point, and there is no real way to substitute it. To make soldier progressing smoother though you can remove the soldier stats gain cap and make it faster so less missions are required.

4 minutes ago, Solver said:

Well, to be more clear - actual ground combat autoresolve would also mean handling soldier experience (and injuries / deaths), in addition of course to items, and implementing such an autoresolve needs code changes. And I don't see myself implementing that.

If the average mission with 1 dropship per crashsite will mean the wounds have already healed for the next wave, provided a hospital is present. But i dont think he wants to go into such detail with an autoresolve system anyway.

I handled the soldier experience point in the post above.

Edited by Charon